Author Topic: Central North Island On A Good Day  (Read 1536 times)

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • RTE Coordinator
  • ST1300 ABS
Central North Island On A Good Day
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
A quick report so won't go into all the glorious detail, just a couple of photos to wet your appetite for when you come over this way.

If you know your NZ geography, Saturday's ride was from a bit above Wellington (Palmerston North) to a bit below Auckland (Hamilton) and included a cruise around the volcanoes of Mt Ruapehu and Mt Ngauruhoe. The trip north was up the Desert Rd which runs along the eastern side of the volcanoes to Lake Taupo and then on up to Hamilton. Brilliant riding once the ice had melted!

Heading south on Sunday was down along the western side of Lake Taupo which is a great bendy road with almost no traffic and then up Mt Ruapehu to get some snow photos.

Check out the pics...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:47:07 AM by RGardner »
Rob NZ

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
Re: Central North Island On A Good Day
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
 :wht11 py
Yes I know the Area well as I lived in Rotorua for quite a few years.

Thanks for the memory revival Rob

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • RTE Coordinator
  • ST1300 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
Quote from: Tipsy

Yes I know the Area well as I lived in Rotorua for quite a few years.

Tipsy

Hi,
I'll be riding up to your old stomping ground of Rotorua in a couple of weeks - my son has a downhill mountain biking race in the Whakarewarewa Forest just outside of town. He'll drive up and I'll ride so I can go off and cruise the region when watching go-fast mountain bikers starts to get tedius (after about 10 min). I'll have to find some bubbling mud close to the road to photo the ST in front of for old times sake for you.
(PS: The trip home after Mt Ruapehu last Sunday was down through the Parapara's from Ohakune to Wanganui. After recent resurfacing that's now one of the best riding roads in the North Island which a handful of us riders had pretty much to ourselves for the hour right on sunset.)
Cheers,
Rob
Rob NZ

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
 :wht11 py
I had a Kwaka 350 twin back in the 70's riding around Rotorua and was actually born in Waunganui.

My Daughter lives in Ashburton, got shook out if ChCh. altho my Grandaughter lives there with my 2 Great grandaughters .

Tipsy

I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.