Author Topic: Take care out there.  (Read 3135 times)

Offline keith3po

• Manchester UK, ST1100 - GL1500
    • my-mc-phoenix
Take care out there.
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
Thought i would copy this over from MY-MC sometimes we need reminding it is a dangerous hobby.
Les lives in Scotland and is used to poor weather conditions.

Perhaps a little dramatic for a title, but really this post is to let you all know that the weather forecast for the north east of Scotland on Friday was not as accurate as it might have been....
I set off from work at Greenock at around 5:30 on Friday evening to go to see my long time friend Ian up in Portsoy.... the sun was just sliding below the hills in the west, the sky was clear and although it was cold, I was not concerned as the weather forecast up north was really only for light snow showers on high ground.....
Well after filling up in Greenock I got on the road, by Pitlochry on the A9 the air temperature was down and the darkness was well established..... but still, no snow....
Once I got up onto the higher A9 north of Blair Atholl however, I rode into a couple of snow flurries which started me on the re-assessment of continuing the run.... the road surface was good, but it was cold. Physically I was fine and the road surface was fine. The road was mainly dry and any snow was just blowing along the road , there were some places where I rode in tyre tracks, but there was plenty of grip and no issues..
After the snow flurries I was now up around Newtonmore and it was a but grim with some rain and dirty spray from vehicles.
At Aviemore I got off the A9 and into the town with the hope of a cup of tea and a bite to eat but was told the place I went into was closed... so I got back on and rode slowly through Aviemore, didn’t see anywhere that looked like I could go in and get what I needed.
This is where I made my bad choice.
Rather than go back onto the A9 I took the Grantown on Spey road.... this was fine, again in one or two places there were some gusts of wind and the odd snow flurry, road conditions remained rideable however.
As I continued up the A95, just south of Ballindalloch I passed the Tormore Distillery, the road conditions deteriorated rapidly, I slowed to a sedate speed and negotiated a few good bends without issue, on leaving a left hander and continuing up a slight rise the front wheel, without warning suddenly snapped out to the right... there was no time to react or take any action, the first thing I knew was that I was tumbling through the long grass on the verge..... the only thought on my mind at this point was if I would be stopped by a tree or a fence and injured by that.....
When all the violent motion ceased I sat up to find myself illuminated by the bike headlight.... the road was nowhere in sight.... I found myself at the foot of a steep bank... my bike was under a fence facing back the way I had come..... okay, I will get up and go back to the road and assess the situation....
So I go to get up and my left lower leg folds to the right.... okay, so either it’s broken or dislocated or something....
Re-assess.
I am down a bank, off the road, it is cold and there is snow on the ground, I am injured and have no phone signal....
I start to half slide half crawl up the bank.
Suddenly there is a vehicle stopping at the top of the bank and a voice calling down to see if I am okay.... I advise that I am not.....
The driver climbs down and within a minute or so a woman who turns out to be his wife also descends the precarious slope, she has a phone signal and I ask her to call an ambulance, but first I ask them to help me to stand up on my right leg as laying on the ground I am losing body heat too fast....
When the emergency operator answers and the detail of my location has been passed I ask to speak to the emergency operator.
I advise that I have no other pain but cannot bear weight on my left leg, which may be broken.... I also adivse that they will need fire and rescue as the paramedics will not be able to extract me from my location without assistance....
She asks me again about possible head injuries and I advise that I am okay, nothing obvious other than my leg.
After a little while the Police Land Rover is the first to arrive and they join us in a growing group of people at the foot of the bank..... as they climb down I am asking them to take care as one person needing recovery is more than enough.....
They chat with me and take details, asking various questions as expected....
Then the Paramedics arrive and again I urge them to exercise caution descending the slope......
I am asked about my condition and give them a run down of what happened and my possible injuries, my leg being my greatest concern....
The Fire and Rescue are now arriving and again are advised to exercise care when coming down to assess the situation.
An action plan is formulated and I am put into a scoop stretcher and my left leg is splinted.... I am then hauled up the bank in the scoop and lifted onto the guerney....
A quick Q&A and then it’s into the ambulance for an assessment before driving the 30 miles to the hospital in Elgin......

I won’t go into more detail other than I don’t have a broken leg, or the x-ray didn’t show a bone broken... but there is something not right in there as my lower leg has no lateral restraint.....
My leg is splinted and I am discharged from hospital just before one in the morning and was provided with a taxi to my friends house as he could not drive out to get me.....

The bike.

Well this for me is the worst part... BlueSTeel, my ST1100 Pan European is in a sorry state.....
It seems that I exited the road at around 45 degrees to the road direction... odd as it was almost straight.. my memory of the accident is that I was on a slight left hand bend, but returning to the scene in daylight on Saturday I found I had travelled around 250 yards from the bend before losing the front end.... when I look at the pictures I took and check the aerial image I do see that it is indeed a slight left hand curve....
The road surface changes from shellgrip to ordinary tarmac at the approximate location that the front went, but I am not going to speculate.... other than to say that the transition from upright at around 15-25 mph to sitting at the bottom of the bank was probably less then 5-10 seconds.
Witness marks on the verge and the bank indicate I didn’t travel far, I would be guessing but perhaps 25-30 yards.... but some of that was gravity assisted down the bank...
The bike will most likely be a write off.... this saddens me as it such a good bike.... it had a very low mileage when I got it.. I have put just over 20,000 miles on it in 2 and a half years.... it has done a lot.
It is, or was, in very good condition.

My insurance will be a vital component here, fully comprehensive with protected no claims... via Carol Nash.
The bike is supposed to be arriving here tomorrow on the recovery vehicle. Once in the shed I will have to not look too closely as it will only sadden me.
Perhaps I will buy it form the insurers and break it. I certainly won’t be riding it again.

What did I do wrong, well, remember I said I made a bad choice, that was at Aviemore when I took the Grantown road.. the more sensible choice should have been the Inverness road, further, but safer.
I don’t normally do snow and certainly don’t set out to do ice...... however, if you are out and the weather changes, you have to cope. I was unfortunate...
Would I do it differently if I found myself in the same circumstances, yes I would, I would get off the road and stop at a B&B for the night.
However, I didn’t, so there really is no point beating myself up about it... what happened has happened.

What I will say is that i am fortunate enough to be able to go back and view the scene and do a self critique on my accident. What I did right, what I did wrong.
They say that any accident you can walk away from is a good one, relatively speaking.
It must therefore be said that this one was not good, I didn’t walk away..... but, I am alive and have gotten off lightly, so to speak.

I will keep you all posted.

NB - It's not me but my friend Ian at the bottom of the bank in the picture......

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:36:50 PM by keith3po »
Sometimes  Sometimes
http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Take care out there.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
Wow, thats a tale and a half. Glad you are OK, sorry about the bike. I hope you recover soon and have a good outcome with the insurance.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
Sorry about his "off".  I guess by now he's made arrangements to have the leg assessed.
Those riding conditions make us appreciate how much better our climate is.  I doubt any of us would be out in those conditions, even those long before the prang.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:51:14 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
Sorry for your plight Keith but you sound like you have maintained a great sense of perspective through this ordeal.
Mate, hope you make a speedy recovery and your insurance eases the pain on the bike front.
Keep us posted.
Cheers.
Skip.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline keith3po

• my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »
Thanks all i don't think i made it clear it wasn't me but a friend Les Bishop who lives in Scotland i'll let you know how he gets on.
Sometimes  Sometimes

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »
Pass on our Aussie regards, It sure cant hurt.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
Ok. Well pass on our best to Lee.
I was envious that you had 3 bikes in your personal collection.   :grin
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline keith3po

• my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
I was envious that you had 3 bikes in your personal collection.   :grin

3 bikes i wish struggling to keep 2 going at moment in fact next year i think i will be down to one and its going to be a tough decision ST or Wing. :(
Sometimes  Sometimes

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:19:48 AM »
Keith, pass on my regards to Les and hope he recovers. Running the business will not be easy for a while though.  I am off on a ride myself for the next week, but willl call on over at my-mc when I get back.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline keith3po

• my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:37:09 AM »
Keith, pass on my regards to Les and hope he recovers. Running the business will not be easy for a while though.  I am off on a ride myself for the next week, but willl call on over at my-mc when I get back.

Will do he's allready on the look out for a new bike. :o Enjoy your ride. :)
Sometimes  Sometimes

Offline keith3po

• my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »
Update from Les.........

Well, I got to the local communtiy hospital on Monday afternoon here in Dunoon......
The doctor on call was a local GP who did a basic Q&A and examined my leg... then told me I would need to got to the hospital across the water in Greenock to attend the Orthopaedic Fracture Clinic.

So Tuesday afternoon and my wife and I manage to get to the passenger ferry and across the water where our oldest daughter picked us up in her little car. She only passed her test last week and is more nervous about me being in the car than when she was on her test last week.
At the hospital I am examined by a relatively young consultant, he is thorough and tells me I need to get an MRI on my knee as he suspects a damaged or detached MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament). He goes through and delegates that to a junior doctor to organise.
After about an hour or so we are asked to go wait in the cafeteria and they take my mobile number. Around an hour after that I get a call to come to the CT/MRI suite and am prepped for the MRI.
As you probably know these take around 25-30 minutes and you need to lay perfectly still...... which I somehow manage.
After getting dressed again my wife and i go back to the ortho’ clinic and are shown into a treatment room again. The consultant comes in and calls up my imaging sequence, makes a few worrying “Hmm” noises and say I can go home and they will let me know....
So here I sit, waiting for the results.... having now researched the injury, I am a little concerned at the prognosis.

On the bike front, BlueSTeel was delivered home on Monday morning.
I haven’t atttached pictures as I didn’t have time to get any before the recovery guy pushed the bike into my outhouse/shed.
All I can say is that the bike has clearly somersaulted at least twice as it left the road and made its way to the foot of the bank. The bike is missing the screen and garnish and the upper frairing and frame is pushed way left. The fairing has a huge split under the right hand side mirror and both mirrors are completely missing. The left side tipover cover is missing and the bar is pushed upwards a little. The left rider footrest is missing.... the rear cowling is split, the Honda rack is twisted down and right to the rear indicating the rear subframe is bent.
I think the only piece of plastic that appears at first sight to be mostly undamaged is the false tank cover.
The main fairing on the left is missing the upper half above and including the service panel and the inner grey panel, although the pocket is till there and still has everything in it!
That is just a quick inspection.... and I was disheartened by it.

On the positive side, I came off WAY better than the bike.

I will keep you all posted as things develop.
Sometimes  Sometimes

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »
 :thumbsup :thumb :thumb
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 11:22:57 PM »
Wish him our best for a speedy recovery  :thumbs
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »
OUCH  :eek

Good luck Les, and thanks for keeping us updated Keith :thumb
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline keith3po

• my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 09:52:07 PM »
Another update doesn't look good for his knee......... :(

The senior consultant did his examination, which was, to say the least, painful.
He then delivered the verdict which is that I have a completely ruptured (separated) anterior cruciate ligament, a ruptured, or torn Medial Collateral Ligament and some other stuff too......

I came within a gnats whisker of having surgery now, as it is he says the knee will never be the same again..... which sounds suspiciously like it’s next best thing to a write off......
I am going to have to have an articulated knee splint fitted, hoping he doesn’t mean bolted on....
We are talking a probable minimum six weeks off work.... or more, with some physio terrorist involvement....
There is even an intimation of a knee replacement if things don’t look like they are improving.
Now, I am no surgeon but I don’t see how a totally ruptured ligament can rejoin and heal itself...

So I am now up the creek without a paddle, a bike, or a fully functional left knee.....

We came back on the ferry kind of speechless and for once I feel a bit lost for words.... not that you can tell from here....
Sometimes  Sometimes

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
That isn't the news we wanted to hear :eek :'( :'( :'(

I hope the knee splint install goes well and does the trick

All the best
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)