Author Topic: Streak & Teela's Weekend RTE 22nd/23rd December  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Streak & Teela's Weekend RTE 22nd/23rd December
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »
What a great weekend!

Was talking crap with my sister about 9pm Friday night, saying we were going to Melany for an OzSTOC RTE, and she said the words "how about I have the kids for a couple of days" at this point I am throwing a bag at Teela and said "Pack" she said where are we going? "No idea" was the response….

Fuelled and loaded we head for Maudy’s Restaurant & Bar to meet up with Diesel & Co, quick pitstop in Esk, and it was a good run up, it was good as I had not really tested anything on the bike since I had one all the upgrades.

Had a great run up the the Café with biggles and Diesel, the café was supurb! Coffee was perfect, and the food was a 10/10 rating for me, the staff there are all characters, we even got the chef in the photo below….

It was great to see, Diesel & Marianne, Biggles, IanB & Helen, nothing like old friends and bikes to start a day out. Then it was where to go from there, waved goodbye to the others and we headed north for Gympie, little bit of drizzle, but we didn’t care the road was good, the bends where great, and there was not a lot of traffic….sighs could just keep riding those roads.

Once we hit gympie, it was a matter of where to stay, we thought Hervey bay would be good, so I went to http://www.bike-stay.net/australia and searched accommodation and we came up with RainBow Getaway Apartments, lock up garage, 5 mins from the surf club and the beach (http://www.rainbowgetaway.com.au/) , so off we went, finished the day with 381km under our belts. The Stay was worth every penny, several corona’s and midori’s, a good steak for dinner, and walk on the beach and it felt like a world away from the mad house that is home

Back to the Apartment, Good Night’s Sleep, then it was up early to meet Diesel for Coffee in Landsborough

We Decided to take the scenic route down the coast so we ducked into sunshine beach and then down to Caloundra, was great to see the waves rolling in as we rode down the coastline, then we broke out to the Thunderbirds Café in Mooloolah Valley, great little place, who do a good cup of coffee

Then Diesel took us a on a little back roads tour past the glass house mountains, we even had our first motorcycle Bluetooth 3 way (side note the Sena Bluetooth units worked seamlessly the whole trip) and into Bribie island, stopped for a cold drink on the water,

Stopped into Teela’s Aunt & Uncle on the way out to Kilcoy, it was getting pretty warm by this point so we had another break in Kilcoy, and the Shark helmet was really starting to pay for itself

It is amazing how closer to home things start to get interesting, I suggested we stay in Kilcoy, as it was getting hot (and we didn’t have to be home), but Teela want to get home so away we went, into Esk and it was HOT, teelas knees where starting to play up from being on the bike to long, and we had one of those rational, logical discussion’s that make perfect sense….that finished with us both listening to music and not talking as we headed for Hampton.

30km out of esk, it dawns on me….I have not fueld up today, I was supposed to fuel in ESK…..now the most I have gotten out of a tank on the ST1100 was 465km without gear & Pillion, so I was a little concerned….that record came and went with the gauge on the white line, got to Hampton, girl behind the counter said “sorry we stopped selling fuel months ago”, I even rang brock to ask him how far should we get out of a tank? His wise advie was keep going and let me know how are you get….sit is amazing how much you stare at a fuel gauge as your riding along using the drag from a caravan to make sure your not using extra fuel. Amazingly enough we made it to Highfields, 489km for the tank, and I put in 23.61L so could have gone heaps further!

Well we made it home, cool breeze, so it was riding gear off, shorts on, cold drink and pretzels on the back lawn!

870km for the 2 days, 41.30L Fuel
Google Map Link: http://goo.gl/maps/HjR3I

Side Notes from the Ride:

Make sure your Gear fits properly, Teela has lost a heap of weight, so helmet/jacket/pants way to big.
Make sure you fuel before you argue!  :rofl
Delkevic Exhausts have burnt in nicely and sound fantastic!
The Custom Screen worked a treat, bounced the air away nicely, and the water off the screen pealed away and i didint wear it.
Woolen seat cover with my custom seat worked really well, Teela before hand would get through a couple of hours and be uncomfortable, she got through two days with only me as a pain in the backside
the smaller tank bag was a great move, didn't notice it at all, and it was easy to move for fuel and the like
Tipsy's Highway Wings really worked well, just gave that extra position, and simple to lock away when needed to.
the NAVIGON GPS App on my iPhone worked seamlessly even on the back roads, it is a keeper.

thats it for now, i am pondering when we can go again :)

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Streak & Teela's Weekend RTE 22nd/23rd December
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:58:55 AM »
I even rang Brock to ask him how far should we get out of a tank

Why me?????  I was in the middle of eating a biscuit, and drinking a coffee. I am getting used to weird calls from Streak, but one saying " Ive done 470Ks, and forgot to fill at the last town. How far can I go two up, till I run out???".

A quick check of the spreadsheet said about 520Ks, keep going and tell me how far you get and how much fuel you take.
 :grin :grin

If I had been told that the reserve light hadnt come on, or had just come on I could have said another 80 - 100 ks to go...
 o:) o:)

Your fuel usage was 20.58 Ks/l, with a theoretical range to empty of 576 Ks ( probably 550Ks allowing for unuseable fuel)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:03:42 AM by Brock »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
I even rang Brock to ask him how far should we get out of a tank
Why me?????  I was in the middle of eating a biscuit, and drinking a coffee. I am getting used to weird calls from Streak, but one saying " Ive done 470Ks, and forgot to fill at the last town. How far can I go two up, till I run out???".

Your fuel usage was 20.58 Ks/l, with a theoretical range to empty of 576 Ks ( probably 550Ks allowing for unuseable fuel)

well in my defence, i have never been near 500km on a tank of fuel....so i was also making sure i didnt have a tired/sore/hot partner standing on the side of the road....was thinking about my well being as well you know....

it is nice to know that 500km is doable on the ST1100 though....

I am kinda pushing around the edges of disappearing between Xmas and new year by myself if i can get clearance for take off
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »
Nice report there Streak, thanks for sharing  :beer  interesting with the fuel, have had a fuel stop closed on me and needed to push on for quiet a few km's, found out mine could do at least 500? Phew!
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »
Nice report there Streak, thanks for sharing  :beer  interesting with the fuel, have had a fuel stop closed on me and needed to push on for quiet a few km's, found out mine could do at least 500? Phew!

Agreed it is good to know for Nambucca coming up...and giving the ST1300's a shake for fuel economy to  :crackup
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »
Nice report there Streak
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
Agreed it is good to know for Nambucca coming up...and giving the ST1300's a shake for fuel economy to  :crackup

Dream on...

But what you should do on your little outing by yourself is take a litre or 2 in a can in a pannier and run her dry.
Then tell us how far it went and how close your top-up fuel got you to a bowser.    :p
Oh, and take a funnel.  It makes you weep spilling the first 100 ml over the tank as you try to tip it in.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »
Awesome report streak, thanks for sharing :thumb
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 02:42:37 AM »
Awesome report streak, thanks for sharing :thumb
Awesomer  :crackup
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 04:00:57 AM »
after a trip like that how nice are is the sound of those pipes  :M
regards
           Royce

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »
after a trip like that how nice are is the sound of those pipes  :M

They sound fantastic mate, they have burnt in nicely, good deep note now....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
The fuel can is a good idea if you really want to test how far you can go.  I try and note when the fuel gauge hits certain known points. On mine half way is just over 14 litres and the last white mark is 20 litres.  When it first hits the E it is 4 litres left (my fuel light does not work) but you have to be sure you noticed when as the needle stops.  Each ST is different though, so you have to test your own for consistency.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

rjstorrie

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
Nice story, sounded like a good ride. :thumb