Author Topic: what fluid to use fro brakes and clutch  (Read 2718 times)

Peter Middleton

what fluid to use fro brakes and clutch
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
HI all
need Help, my name is Peter Middleton and i live at Howard Springs NT,  im a newbie to this site so im most likely in the wrong section.
iam about to embark on a cruise from Darwin  NT to Potsville in NSW and i need to change my clutch and brake fluid, can any one help as to what fluids i should be using?

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
Re: what fluid to use fro brakes and clutch
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »
I use DOT 4 brake fluid in both. Any good brand should be ok, just don't let the master cylinder get low and suck air because they are a pain to bleed, particulary ABS models.

:bl11

Peter Middleton

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
Thank you
i have a 1997  model as abs
 :thumbsup

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »
Hi Peter,

I use one of these for the brake and clutch on the 1100 (one person operation)  $18 at Supercheap.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Vizibleed-Brake-Clutch-Bleeder-One-Man.aspx?pid=9500#Description

However, I removed that black hose piece and extended it with more hose to reach the jar on the ground.
I use a little grease around the nipple prior to attaching the hose to create an air seal.

Rear brake was spongey = changed fluid removed air bubble = great now.

Cheers
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
The supercheap device is easy to use. I used a box to sit the jar on for bleeding, but extending the tube would be good.  DOT 4 is great stuff.  Make sure the fluid level in the clutch does not go down too much either, as it can be a pain the get rid of the air.  Turning the bars full to the right and keeping on pumping can get you there (the air then rises to the top of the system so you can see it come out)  I find the clutch fluid darkens more than the brakes, must be the heat from the front of the engine.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »
I've bled the brakes on my previous CX500 ok but I would be very hesitant doing this on my 1100A model.

Two bleeding nipples on each caliper meaning one for hand brake and one for foot brake. There's also a secondary master cylinder located on the LH upper fork which is operated by the LH caliper. Not sure if that needs to be bled as well. Plus with the ABS pumps on on each circuit they need to be bled as well.

Found this link, hope it helps http://www.ehow.com/how_12168102_bleed-front-abs-brakes-motorcycle.html

Should be similar to do the rear system. Rear pump is in front of Shock. Front pump is located beside the top of the RH fork underneath the clock.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1