Farkles, Gear & Accessories > Camping Gear and Touring

Motorcycle Camping: Myths and Realities

<< < (2/2)

Diesel:

Wondering what all the hoop-la is regarding the butane camp stove (lunch box) burners is about?

Apparently, first and foremost - it is about user MISUSE AND MISHANDLING. That said - the butane cans themselves had no safety device in such circumstances and explode, causing substantial collateral damage. This happened when they overheated due to trying to heat camp oven type pots or other items which caused EXCESSIVE heat build up around the aerosol can (which could not stand this for too long).

Some stoves are approved for use by the AGA, whilst most manufacturers have withdrawn their products from shelves to avoid litigation situations I guess.

However - like me - if you LOVE these stoves and want to continue using them - then make sure you purchase CRV (Countersink Release Valve) butane aerosol canisters that incorporate the safety device built-in (as shown in the video link below).

www.elgas.com.au/blog/1419-nsw-bans-portable-butane-stove-cookers-lunchbox-cookers

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Diesel

alans1100:
I have one these (my second) and have never had a problem with it other than the gas (freezes///) not working to well on cold mornings

Marcus:
I may or may not have once started a medium grass fire with one of these things.

jimwilly:
Do 7 days away camping with bike every year. K mart tent sprayed with scotchguard works and small enough to go on pillion seat of bike. stretcher sized inflatable mattress in top box, inflatable pillow in top box, sleeping bag also fits in top box. small 3 leg stool from k mart, all set to go. We stay at caravan parks, just pull up somewhere when we feel like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version