Author Topic: Why did it die?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Squeakers (formally SlowRider)

• ST Legend
Why did it die?
« on: June 29, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »

Why did it die?

The bike is a 2009, 1300 with 82k kms travelled.  I am progressively riding harder and harder as I learn the balance of the bike.

As one of the lucky ones at work, I have a designated car park (bike park).  As a result I make the same left-hand turn every day. I have become quite adapt at a full lock turn.

Last week I made the turn. The difference between this time and other times, is there were people watching. I may have (haha) turned faster than previous attempts. I'm very comfortable with this turn and can full lock the handlebars and power through the corner with ease.

But this time the bike died. I mean no lights at all, nothing.  I caught the bike and recovered.  It wouldn't start and lights took a good 3 to 5 seconds to come back on. Then the bike started and I rode on.

This was totally different to a stall (I do that regularly). When I stall the bike all the lights stay on. It will also start immediately.

Stationary testing:  full lock the handlebars doesn't make the lights turn off. I can't see exposed wires or cables. Battery is secure and cables are  tight

Does anyone have any idea why it just died.

Thank you all in advance.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Why did it die?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »
You may have tripped the tip sensor some how. the key needs to be turned off and then back on to start again. You shouldnt stall the bike, you may be in too high a gear.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »
It happened because you were showing off to the adoring crowd!  It's called karma.    :crackup
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Squeakers (formally SlowRider)

Bodø

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 05:01:12 AM »
We call it sod's law.

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 07:27:15 AM »

Quote from: Biggles on June 29, 2018, 10:50:19 PM<blockquote>It happened because you were showing off to the adoring crowd!  It's called karma.    :crackup
<\blockquote>

It's like you were standing there yourself. A truer statement had never been uttered.   :)

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 07:31:08 AM »
We call it sod's law.
Never heard of Sod's Law before.  Lucky I didn't let it drop. That really would have ruined the experience,  lol. :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
You may have tripped the tip sensor some how. the key needs to be turned off and then back on to start again. You shouldnt stall the bike, you may be in too high a gear.
Thank you for replying Brock.

With stalling I get a little sloppy sometimes with the clutch.  That is all user error. The typical causes are 2nd gear up hill at the lights and thinking I'm in first. I've also stalled it on the flat but that's just me being sloppy at takeoff.  I've also been known to stall the car too. Come to think about it,  both the car and the bike are silver... I wonder if that's got something to do with it??? (LOL)

More importantly,  the tip sensor:

Come to think about it,  I did turn the key of and on.

Watching the "police video" posted a week or so ago, where the rider throws the bike around the course is more aggressive riding than I think I was doing.

If I tripped it making a u-turn, does that mean the sensor needs replacing? Are they mechanical sensors, can they wear out? Is it likely to trip out if I trying to dodge an idiot who pulls out in front of me (again).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
From my recollection of my ST11, the tip sensor only activated when the bike went down and then cut the engine to prevent further damage.  It shouldn't activate in a lean to the "lean limit" (45o?)
That said, a malfunction in the tip sensor would cut the engine unnecessarily.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927