Author Topic: Too many wires to the battery.....  (Read 3243 times)

Online Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Too many wires to the battery.....
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »
Any tech heads here have a solution for cleaning up the spaghetti wiring going to the battery terminals?

You know what I mean... when you have 5 or six wires coming off the positive or earth side of the battery terminal.

Pics or links pls if possible.

It would be nice to have a single connector around the bolt that can branch off to multiple devices.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
Re: Too many wires to the battery.....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
Diesel,
The cheapest way is to bolt a small length of conductive metal strip to the positive terminal. At the other end of the strip drill a hole and pass a bolt through, long enough to terminate the number of positive wires you intend to connect. Don't forget this metal strip and bolt/nut are live at all times.

In the pic, which you wanted, I have spread out the positive wires from their insulating "tubes" so you can see how they connect (count the yellow connectors). You'll notice each of the positive wires has an inline fuse close to the battery. It also helps to label the red wires at each end.

Many people have commented on my 12v wiring ability, such as "I don't believe what I'm seeing", "Can I photograph that?" and "Do you carry a fire extinguisher?"

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:27:05 PM »
What you need is a fuse block. You then have one extra wire to the battery (a heavy duty one) that goes to a fused distribution block. all the feeds for the Farkles then come from that. They can even have switched power as well.

Something like this. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html

I have made something like this.  http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html

Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »
Heartily agree with the Eastern Beaver PC-8 suggestion.  This also has the side benefit of making troubleshooting easy.  Bought one not long back for MYST and it will be an integral part of the farkling.  I did have to take the unit out of the box and show my missus, I'm not sure what she thought Eastern Beaver might sell  :whistle
Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
I'm not sure what she thought Eastern Beaver might sell  :whistle

:rofl
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

atoyot

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:55:58 PM »
+1 for the fuse block.

I got two of these

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Not sure if there's much difference from the eastern beaver one though. What I like is the fact that you can run switched or battery power simply by changing the fuse location.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:19:52 PM »
That Fuzeblock design is very clever.
I'm not sure I would always run the ground wire back to the block (unnecessary extra wire) but would be good if the service was located near the block.
I'm thinking my next bike will have to be wired with one of these.  Much easier to keep tabs rather than my present dog's breakfast (although it does have its own logic, just I have to remember it any time I go in there).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »
This feature of the Fuzeblock is handy.

The relay is replaceable by de-soldering the relay and replacing it with a new one.
If the relay fails on the road, the best suggestion is to move the fuses from the switched position to the constant position to get home. Make sure that you power off any devices when turning off the bike at that point. Once home you can work on replacing the relay.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927