Author Topic: Mini Blade Circuit Breakers - Anyone using them?  (Read 3467 times)

atoyot

Mini Blade Circuit Breakers - Anyone using them?
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
Has any one used any of these as replacements for the standard mini blade fuses? They seem like a good idea if space permits, and if using the appropriate one for purpose, as they come in auto reset, manual reset and modified reset types. Narva just do manual and auto, but

Narva Manual Reset link:

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/blade-manual

Narva Auto Reset link:

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/blade-automatic

and Littlefuse info sheet:

http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/automotive/datasheets/circuit-breakers/littelfuse_aftermarket_circuit_breakers.pdf

My brother mentioned to me that he uses them in his Torana, and I'd never heard of them, but thought I might get a couple and try them out. Only problem seems to be the cost (high) and not a very wide range of amps ratings available.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Mini Blade Circuit Breakers - Anyone using them?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
I have thought about them, as well as those led ones that light up to show a blown fuse. I would be interested in any experiences with either type
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »
That's what I'm going to use (resettable) when I re-make my narva power socket bracket.

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=8473.msg97660#msg97660

At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

atoyot

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 02:56:46 PM »
Hey John, I've got all my fuzeblock accessories written on the cover of the fuzeblock, but I can't read them when it's tucked up under the seat, so they're a great idea for being able to tell which fuse it is, but you're probably better organised than me!

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/automotive-aftermarket-products/indicator-fuses/mini-smart-glow.aspx Here's what I found, and I'm sure someone here sells them or similar type.

I had read your post Dave, but didn't see your comment about using them when you re-do it. I'll do some Googling for the best prices and might order a few of each size and try them. Only fuse I've ever blown on the ST was with the airhorn after a DH when straight through a stop sign on me. Must have blasted him for about 5 secs, so maybe need an auto reset one for that. From what I understand, the modified reset ones reset themselves when the ignition switch is turned off, so obviously must have to be switched. Now just to work out which one is best for which application! PM sent.

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »
I have used the LED one's now for the last twelve months. From memory they cost about $30 for about 60 of various amperage.
+
  • The LEDs are quite bright which makes in very easy to see when one has blown. Good for us old bastards
  • They are cheap and
  • So far have worked without issue
-
  • There were a few duds in the packet ie the blades were quite loose and
  • The build quality is what you get for 50c each

All in all - I'd buy them again.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:19:33 PM by Totgas »
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
Hey John, I've got all my fuzeblock accessories written on the cover of the fuzeblock, but I can't read them when it's tucked up under the seat, so they're a great idea for being able to tell which fuse it is, but you're probably better organised than me!

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/automotive-aftermarket-products/indicator-fuses/mini-smart-glow.aspx Here's what I found, and I'm sure someone here sells them or similar type.

I had read your post Dave, but didn't see your comment about using them when you re-do it. I'll do some Googling for the best prices and might order a few of each size and try them. Only fuse I've ever blown on the ST was with the airhorn after a DH when straight through a stop sign on me. Must have blasted him for about 5 secs, so maybe need an auto reset one for that. From what I understand, the modified reset ones reset themselves when the ignition switch is turned off, so obviously must have to be switched. Now just to work out which one is best for which application! PM sent.

Just at the bottom of the post, after last picture.

Totgas, good to hear some feed back, I was thinking of doing similar to atoyta in the near future  :thumbs

They do use resettable fuses in some Drag cars and Hot Rods over here (east coast), pending on the vehicle, they are concealed in the glove box for "on the run" reset.

At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 07:19:54 AM »
They look like they would be handy and save on having to carry spares (or at least cut down on how many would be needed as backups)
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »
I always find it interesting watching people stick fuse after fuse in and watching them blow before they realise "something must be doing this"
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.