Author Topic: Re-oil the Rear Shock on a ST1300  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Re-oil the Rear Shock on a ST1300
« on: November 17, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

The following Ho To... is showing how to re-oil of the Rear Shock on a ST1300 as shown by PC (Thanks mate :-++).

To tell if this is something that you could benefit from follow these simple steps:

* Locate your pre-load adjuster (the big black knob located on the left side of the bike between the seat and the foot pegs :wink1)

Every time the knob is turned 180° there should be a click (there are a total of 35 clicks from LOW to HIGH).

* Turn it all the way left (counterclockwise)
* Slowly turn it right (clockwise).

Turn the knob (clockwise) until you feel pressure or resistance, if it takes more than 1 to 2 clicks that will indicate a loss of oil from reservoir.
If you have this occour this procedure will fix the issue :thumbsup

Okay lets get started :grin

ONE
* Remove the left side saddle bag
* Remove the seats
* Remove the plastic above the  pre-load adjuster
* Turn the pre-load adjuster as low as possible (counterclockwise) to relieve pressure.

TWO
* Remove the screw holding the bar that the pre-load adjuster is mounted on where it connects to the frame.

THREE
* Make note of the hose location on the adjuster so it can be reinstalled at the same angle.
* Remove the hose from the end. (Make sure to keep the hose end up so the oil inside won't spill out and be careful not to loose the two copper washers on each side of the bolt.)

FOUR
Place the hose upright like in the picture below to stop any oil leaking out of the hose.

FIVE
* Tip out any remaining oil in the reservoir inside the pre-load adjuster and use a screwdriver to push the piston down inside the reservoir.

SIX
* Clean out the reservoir with a cleaning spray (PC uses "Break & Parts Cleaner" and "WD40")
* Screw the pre-load adjuster in and out to get the cleaner all the way through.

SEVEN
* Push the piston back down inside the reservoir.
* Using a syringe (No needle tip needed) fill the reservoir with fork oil

EIGHT
* Reattach the hose (make sure the hose returns to the same angle as before and the copper washers are on each side of the bolt)

NINE
* Screw the pre-load adjuster in and out to get the oil into system

* If it still takes a number of turns (clockwise) till you start to get a click follow the steps below. If it is working go to TEN.

*** Turn the pre-load adjuster as low as possible and remove the hose from the end.

*** Push the piston back down inside the reservoir and top up the reservoir with more oil then reattach the hose to the pre-load adjuster .

*** Screw the pre-load adjuster in and out to get the oil into system.

*** If it still takes a number of turns (clockwise) till you start to get a click repeat the three steps above.

TEN
* Once you are done adding the oil and have reattached the hose:

* Remount the bar that the pre-load adjuster is attached to.
* Replace the plastic above the pre-load adjuster
* Replace the seats
* Replace the left side saddle bag

Anyway that's it, now go for a ride and enjoy the comfort :runyay
Thanks to PC for all this info :-++ and I hope it is of some help to you all :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:27:17 PM by Shiney »
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
Re: Re-oil the Rear Shock on a ST1300
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:28:14 PM »
THE PICTURES HAVE BEEN UPDATED    ++

The following users thanked this post: tj189, ruSTynutz

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »
ruSTynutz has located a video on this topic  :thumbsup

Found this video on how to do the Pre-load Fluid Replacement...  :thumbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12s2NGKYRoY

Must do mine one day...  :think1

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »
If the oil level is low it must have gone somewhere; just replacing the oil won't fix it.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »
Thanks all for this thread. After talking to PC at the Thursday RTE I confirmed that STrudel has exactly this issue, which explains why his dragging his belly more than at first.

Alan’s comment “it must have gone somewhere” is logical. Are there any common trouble spots that should be checked for leaks?
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
Strange coincidence!  I'd noticed after our ride on the horrible undulating road last weekend that there was an odd "thump" in the rear in some situations.  I then read up about the adjuster here and on the USA site and serviced mine yesterday.  It took 45ml of fork oil.  I haven't had a chance to test ride it (busy this morning, and it's raining steadily).  There's no oil on the ground under the bike, but maybe it has to be exercised to leak.  If there is a leak I presume the shock will have to be overhauled or replaced.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »
Strange coincidence!  I'd noticed after our ride on the horrible undulating road last weekend that there was an odd "thump" in the rear in some situations.  I then read up about the adjuster here and on the USA site and serviced mine yesterday.  It took 45ml of fork oil.  I haven't had a chance to test ride it (busy this morning, and it's raining steadily).  There's no oil on the ground under the bike, but maybe it has to be exercised to leak.  If there is a leak I presume the shock will have to be overhauled or replaced.
I don’t think you should have any concerns about the shock. My understanding of the preload adjuster is that it is basically a little hydraulic jack that compressors the spring To stiffen the rear suspension to accomodate for different weights and road condition   Not a lot different from a car, the spring carrying the weight and the shock doing the dampening

Offline DavidP

• ST13 fan, near Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »
Yep, that is exactly what it is, a hydraulic preload adjuster. Over the years a little bit of oil leaks past the seals and washers. Remember to replace the copper washers on the banjo bolt when you top up the oil + release the banjo bolt to remove the air trapped in the system after you top it up.
Did mine a few years ago, and is currently only 1 click off where it was after I did it. Before I topped it up it was 10+ clicks before there was any resistance.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

:slvr13 in style
2008 ST1300, Carbon fender extender, blinker/mirror mod, switchback indicators, diy wiring/jump start harness, heated grips, diy swing-arm/shock protector, insulated fairing pockets, diy led spots

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
Did mine yesterday morning. My preload was doing nothing for the first 20 clicks. It took about 10ml and it’s good as new. Went for a ride with my pillion yesterday and it handled the tight Mt glorious twisties an absolute treat. Plenty of boot scraping on my part but nothing metallic. Thanks again everyone, especially PC who was the first to bring it to my attention.

A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 09:45:31 PM »
Here's yet another "how to". https://youtu.be/IgOWLfPiVQQ
As a bonus it also shows you how to adjust the rebound damping.  :clap

Coming across this video a coupla weeks ago encouraged me to venture out to the garage to re-do mine...  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Dragonstaff