Author Topic: Bleeding 1300 Brakes  (Read 5689 times)

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
Bleeding 1300 Brakes
« on: May 01, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »
At first I was a bit apprehensive to touch a ABS system.
After speaking to Poppy Dave and having a read on the US site, really it's not hard at all!!

Front means done with the front brake, rear means the foot brake.

Step 3 is very important, remove the 2 6mm allen keys from the LHF caliper and rest on a milk crate. The bleed valves need to be around 15 degrees above flat.
Don't forget to put a spanner between the pads, so you can put the caliper back on again.

The rear res empties quickly.

I did mine with all the plastic off, as I am doing other things as well.
An interesting point that is made, to get firm feeling brakes, leave them overnight with the brakes applied. Weight hanging on the foot pedal and a cable tie on the front.
It allows any small bubbles to go to the reservoirs. Don't know it it's true or not.

:blu13

For reference.
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?53678-ST1300-Brake-Bleeding-Sequence-Cheat-Sheet

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?68913-ST1300-Brake-Fluid-Replacement
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:01:40 PM by Malcolm6112 »
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

The following users thanked this post: scarp, tding

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
Re: Bleeding 1300 Brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:24:35 AM »
It's true! A bit fiddly but quite easy really.  :thumbsup

I've been toying with having a go at mine for some time and then one day I went and bought some brake fluid, so I was 1/2 way there :o. I already had a 'Motion Pro' bleed tool that I did my clutch with :thumb.

I looked at the references Malcolm's quoted, thought some, read some more, thought some more, etc,etc then thought,  "STUFF IT..............I'LL GIVE IT A GO!" :crazy :crazy

It took me about 3 hours total. I was on my own :cuss :cuss and I stopped for plenty of coffees and smokes and to let my nerves settle >:(). At the end of it I thought, "What the hell's the fuss about?"  :runyay

If you're like me and think the prospect of having a go at it is all too hard..................... Think again! :-(((

It would be a lot easier with 2 people :thumbs but CAN be done single handed with a bleed tool with a one-way valve. :clap

DON'T GO AND WASTE MONEY AT THE DEALERS :well. GET AN ST MATE AND DO BOTH BIKES TOGETHER (You'll see what I mean, promise) :hatwave :hatwave

Poppy Dave                                                 :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

The following users thanked this post: scarp

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
I just did the brake fluid change myself by following the instructions that were linked above from ST-Owners.com
(I was going to do my own "How To" but this one covers everything brilliantly :clap :clap :clap)

LINK:
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?68913-ST1300-Brake-Fluid-Replacement

As I don't have the vac gizmo that is talked about in the instructions I used a great little product that cost a LOT less (AUD$35.95) and works great :thumbsup

__________________________________________________________________________________

Motion Pro Hydraulic Brake Bleeder
https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Bike-Accessories/Tools/Motion-Pro-Brake-Bleeder-Hydraulic/08-080143

This is a one way valve that stops fluid from sucking back up into the brake system and keeps sucking in the direction of the arrow.
When the pipe is disconnected from the brakes any fluid still in the pipe between the brakes and the valve is sucked through :thumbsup

Another advantage of this Brake Bleeder is that it allows the job to be completed by one person :grin
__________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway the only other thing I brought for this was 1ltr of Dot4 Brake Fluid as I was doing the clutch fluid change as well.
As a note, I used less than half the fluid :|||| so for anyone doing this 500ml will be enough :thumbs

The ST-Owners.com instructions have great pictures with what to do for each step written in each picture :thumbsup (they are easy to follow :-++)
Example:

All up I spent less then $50 to do the brake and clutch fluid change and found it to be a surprisingly easy job to do :grin

I wanted to just add my experience with doing this job :thumb

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker

Offline tding

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »
Step 3 it is the secondary master cylinder that is the reason that the left caliper needs to be unbolted . otherwise the air gets trapped in the secondary master cylinder thus stopping the better half of the back brake from working :eek. Have had to fix this problem myself every time after a workshop has worked on brakes. :||||
 :blu13

The following users thanked this post: Shiney