Author Topic: 1100 misbehaving  (Read 2291 times)

Offline billj

• ST newbie
1100 misbehaving
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:13:49 PM »
 :bl11 hi had the yellow lights come on the dash and my bike  misfired and stopped  got it going but was missing badly then fired up again and away we went has anyone had this problem  before  ?

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: 1100 misbehaving
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »
The dash has yellow lights??

Which particular light s were they, low fuel, side stand.

If the side stand is bouncing up and down, that will bring on an orange light. Are both springs connected???
Do you have fuel???
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline billj

• ST newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
hi looks like was the tcs light on the left side of the  dash

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
hi looks like was the tcs light on the left side of the  dash

Morning Bill et al...

The TCS system in interconnected with the ECU, as such it is connected to the ignition (retards the spark and thus reduces power to the rear wheel), and it gets its information from the Halls effect sensor on the rear wheel.

Unlike the ABS, the TCS, doesnt produce fault codes and if it faults it automatically switches to the standard ignition system. So, yes the TCS interconnects with the ECU to produce its unique ignition system, but if it fails it (the TCS), releases the ignition to the ECU.

So, IF it is in fact the TCS fault lamp you saw illuminate you will need to get the bike to a dealer that can diagnose the TCS/ECU connection.

You could try switching off the TCS...checking the hall sensor has the appropriate air gap at the rear wheel....check that the correct 160x70x17 tyre is fitted to begin with.

Hope this helps.

Cheers the can :-)

The following users thanked this post: billj

Offline billj

• ST newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
 :bl11   
              hi my back wheel has a 160x60x17   rear tyre a michelin 2   i have the panniers off at the moment and i took bike to carwash so the back wheel got a good soaking from the pressure wash would that be a cause for it to play up at all ?

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 05:44:03 PM »
Oh, most definitely, you may have water in the pickup, its connector (if it has one) , the sensor may have been pushed away from the interuoter ring, or even onto the ring.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:50:45 PM »
Evenin' Bill et al...

The following I have lifted directly from Honda Construction and Function Service sheet for the post 1996 ST1100 ABS/TCS/CBS

Before you start FAULT FINDING...

Point 9...Out off standard tyre pressure. tyre size, wheel deformation. (FR-RR speed difference).

The tyres fitted on these bikes were 16x70x17...making this specified Honda size a larger diameter than the one you listed. (NB I am not prepared to get into a debate on rear tyre sizes on the above cited ST1100 varient as Honda are quite specific on this).

Rear / Front Wheel Speed Sensor: (this is critical)
Standard : 0.8  +/-  0.4mm

I suggest you check this before going any further....however, if you are satisfied this clearance is met on your bike and think that washing the bike may have contributed to the problem, then you could check the following...

Troubleshooting for TCS {& ABS) Wheel Speed Sensors (Front, Rear)

Supply Voltage check
Disconnect the wheel speed sensor connector.
Check for battery voltage between the black & green main harness side terminals of the wheel speed sensor connector.

Output Voltage check
Connect the wheel speed sensor lo the main harness using the special check harness.
Check for alternating OV and 4V pulses (blue-green) when slowly turning the wheel.

In other words your checking the function of the hall sensor...NB Honda Service advise this check for BOTH wheels, hence the emphasis on the same front/rear wheel speeds.

After this, I can offer no further assistance.

All the best with it...cheers the can :-)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:59:50 PM by Greencan »

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
              hi my back wheel has a 160x60x17   rear tyre a michelin 2   i have the panniers off at the moment and i took bike to carwash so the back wheel got a good soaking from the pressure wash would that be a cause for it to play up at all ?
I would never put that size tyre on my 1100 though some dealers will fit it if the correct 160/70 tyre isn't available. The 160/60 weight rating is to low the 1100 and the couple of times that I've had the this size on I have no issues but I've wondered if it would upset the ABS/TCS systems somehow. The 1300 rear (170/60) is the next best option as the weight rating is just below the 1100's.

TCS - not only the rear sensor but the front as well. Both ABS and TCS use the same sensors front and rear.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline billj

• ST newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:29:56 AM »
             hi thanks to all of you for the good advice will check gap at the weekend  and if anymore trouble will take it to the honda dealer and see if they can sort it out  thank you to all who  gave  advice  to a new comer to st  bikes