Author Topic: A GREAT Darkside Tyre vid......  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
A GREAT Darkside Tyre vid......
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
This footage illustrates fairly well, the contact patch you get from a car tyre on a bike...

Riding on the Darkside - car tire on a motorcycle - contact patch

And here is another popular vid....

Darkside tire on the highway

And guess what?..... You can get one to fit the ST too.          :whistle

$189.00 for a 40,000+km tyre Vs $300.00 for a 15,000km tyre......  hmmmm      :think1

Anyone (or your mates) tried this?

Tell us about it.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

terrydj

Re: A GREAT Darkside Tyre vid......
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »
Ummmmmm, Ahhhhhhhhhh, to me the contact patch is bugger all compared to a bike, and the contact patch actually has a tread pattern designed for a bike of 500kg's or under not a 2 ton car that basically corners flat??????
Hmmm that's maybe 500kg's + on a tyre that's designed for it . and at an angle not a tyre that's designed for a couple of tons of weight and basically to sit flat.

I don't give a S???? what people put on their bikes cause I'm not riding em but I do know this. Their third party is shot and their insurance is shot because the tyres are not specifically identified as motorcycle tyres????????
Just like what would happen if you put a bike tyre on a car.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
Strewth!  I'd be wetting myself the first time I leaned off the vertical.  When you look at a bike tyre, its cross-section is rounded so you have exactly the same contact patch all the way over until you scrape something.
If you have to ride on car tyres you can't afford to ride and should go buy a Getz or Chery or better yet, a Gocard.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline keith3po

• Manchester UK, ST1100 - GL1500
    • my-mc-phoenix
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:32:28 PM »
Been done to death on other forums this one i read them just for amusement, i ride a motorcycle with motorcycle tyres on it.  :grin
Sometimes  Sometimes
http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
When the time comes for me to replace my rear tyre I will certainly be looking at the CT option.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »
Been done to death on other forums this one i read them just for amusement, i ride a motorcycle with motorcycle tyres on it.  :grin

Simple for me, if I have a bike I have a bike tyre, if i have a car, I have a car tyre, neither should cross paths in my mind.

If I have to risk my insurance to save a few dollars, not worth it....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »
Food for thought. :popcorn

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:51:22 AM »
   :thumbs                  http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/               :thumbs

Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

terrydj

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
The really funny thing is that most people that own?????? I said own a bike not ride a bike, don't even own it long enough to buy a new rear tyre. Just have a look at Bike Sales to see how many Ahhhhh Cruisers and Harleys that are for sale with bugger all Kays on em

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »
When I used to ride cruisers I looked into going darkside and did a lot of research into it :CB--
It’s a very good idea and has a lot of benefits (longer tyre life, greater contact patch with the road and better grip as CT’s can have a softer compound) :thumbsup

It all sounds great BUT after speaking to a few cops :cop and insurance people it was pointed out to me the BIG downside, :fp (as Streak said) when you run a CT on a bike it will void your insurance :eek (both normal and 3rd party) and that is why Police will take exception to people doing this… :spank

Although I have heard rumours of people having it listed as a modification with their insurance and getting to legally run a CT on their bike but I’m not sure if this is true or not… :think1

It’s a shame but that seams to be the way it is :'(
Run a CT on a car and a bike tyre on a bike, or do what you want and take the risk >:()

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »

Run a CT on a car and a bike tyre on a bike, or do what you want and take the risk >:()

Cheers
Shiney

We all take risks by riding a bike, let alone by speeding, riding country roads at night (eg STRay), riding fatigued, walking across a busy road and all of these are life threatening not just financially risky. I would also suggest that hit a Rolls Royce  or similar and do $100,000 plus worth of damage while speeding riding fatigued or similar and your insurance company will be looking for a way out of paying up.  :think1 I know I have a favourite highway on ramp which runs slightly up hill, is about 700m long and I regularly give the ST some stick at the start then once reaching 160kph back off to 100 and change into 4th then 5th before merging with the main highway lanes and in WA this would mean probably immediate lose of license, the bike being impounded for a month and a substantial fine.  I once road from Sydney to Hobart in tee shirt, shorts and thongs now I always at least wear long pants, solid footwear and my bike jacket. The thing about risk is that it is always a personnell decision on how much you take. On regular night drives from Newman to Perth even in a car with four Super Oscar driving lights I would limit myself to about 80 to 90kph.
Gavo you had better stock up on  :popcorn ,  :)
Glen
Sold
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:26:58 PM »
For me I couldnt trust the tyre, even though people have been on the darkside and survived.  The load put into the side-wall must be extreem and not what the tyres are engineered for.  Imagine a very hot day, lots of twistys and a side wall failure....ouch.  When I see cars running with a 30 degree camber I might reconsider. For now, I trust my tyres.
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »
Motorcycle tyres on Motorcycles; Car tyres on Cars; bicycle tyres on bicycles; trailer tyres on trailers. That's why they are called "Motorcycle" tyres, not just "Tyres"
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
While I have read a lot about the "Darkside" on other forums I certainly haven't read it all. Just wondering if anybody has read anything bad about the actual performance of CTs on bikes? 
Glen
Sold
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
Motorcycle tyres on Motorcycles; Car tyres on Cars; bicycle tyres on bicycles; trailer tyres on trailers. That's why they are called "Motorcycle" tyres, not just "Tyres"

Whizz,
What is a trailer tyre?
Glen
Sold
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »

Whizz,
What is a trailer tyre?

Gee Glen, i would have thought you would have known this one. A trailer tyre is a tyre too knacked to be used on a car, not to be confused with the spare tyre, which we get as we get older. Thank goodness I'm still only a pup.

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »
Here is a great, authoritative article on the science behind the way a MC tyre works (with its reducing concentric ring diameter - conducive to 'turning') and a CT designed NOT to steer by leaning etc etc....

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm

Here is an extract of part of the article...

The profile of a motorcycle tire clearly has one large-diameter ring in the middle that tapers to smaller rings at each side (creating the U-shape). As the bike leans, this makes rounding curves much easier than if the tires were square like those of a car. Here’s a quick demonstration. Grab an empty soup can from the recycling bin and a tapered coffee cup (that empty caramel macchiato cup will do nicely). Lay each on its side and roll them across the table. The can, shaped like a car tire, will track straight. But the tapered coffee cup, because it has larger and smaller diameters much like one side of a motorcycle tire, will want to turn. As you lean your bike from the large ring in the center toward the smaller ring on either edge, you are also in effect reducing the gearing of your bike, thereby slowing it in a curve. That makes it easier to add throttle through the bend as prescribed by most riding proficiency experts, which in turn stabilizes the bike’s chassis for smooth cornering. The square car tire does not provide that advantage when leaned.
Beyond tire profile, sidewall stiffness plays an important role in motorcycle tires. The sidewall acts as a suspension component and must also provide enough rigidity to not only stand up to the unique forces placed upon it during cornering, but to also take advantage of those forces for precise handling. According to Dunlop, “When the bike is vertical, the bike’s suspension system does much of the work in keeping the tire in contact with the ground and controlling the ride. When the bike is leaned, there is less mechanical suspension and more tire suspension characteristics at play. The bike tires are designed and constructed specifically for this use.”

Motorcycle tires are uniquely designed to maximize the contact patch for greater grip at all lean angles.
Most modern motorcycle tires use multiple rubber compounds; harder compounds in the center to maximize tread life for highway riding and softer compounds toward the edges to maximize grip when the bike is leaned. Car tires have just one compound since they are not designed to be leaned over or to contend with camber forces.

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:19:49 PM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 03:51:40 PM »

Cheers
Shiney

We all take risks by riding a bike, let alone by speeding, riding country roads at night (eg STRay), riding fatigued, walking across a busy road and all of these are life threatening not just financially risky. I would also suggest that hit a Rolls Royce  or similar and do $100,000 plus worth of damage while speeding riding fatigued or similar and your insurance company will be looking for a way out of paying up.  :think1 I know I have a favourite highway on ramp which runs slightly up hill, is about 700m long and I regularly give the ST some stick at the start then once reaching 160kph back off to 100 and change into 4th then 5th before merging with the main highway lanes and in WA this would mean probably immediate lose of license, the bike being impounded for a month and a substantial fine.  I once road from Sydney to Hobart in tee shirt, shorts and thongs now I always at least wear long pants, solid footwear and my bike jacket. The thing about risk is that it is always a personnell decision on how much you take. On regular night drives from Newman to Perth even in a car with four Super Oscar driving lights I would limit myself to about 80 to 90kph.
Gavo you had better stock up on  :popcorn ,  :)

No coment
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »
 :wht11 py

Having spent a couple of years or so working within the tyre industry you WILL make a serious mistake in using a CT on a motorbike, it all depends on how much you value your own life.
Believe in yourself and ride safe.

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.