Author Topic: Air hawk  (Read 1751 times)

Offline agro69

• Loving Life
Air hawk
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
Hi all hope all are well im looking at purchasing an air hawk to put on my standard 08 1300 seat for a little xtra comfort
on those long rides. My question is are they as good as they claim to be.

Cheers all
Just Another Day In Paradise :-)

...2008...:13Candy...1995...:blk11...1997...:wht11...

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Air hawk
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 01:06:54 PM »
Many of us have been down the Airhawk path.....and most still look for more  :wink1

Its safe to say the Airhawk set up properly can add an extra hour or so to your comfort levels.

Most tend to move past the Airhawk to Sergent or Corbin seats....modification to their existing saddle locally or off to the gold standard of motorcycle seating in the Russell Day Long saddle.

:thumbsup
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

The following users thanked this post: agro69

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
Seats are a constant source of discussion and opinion, and you need to find a confort solution that suits your bum and your riding style.

1.  A good quality sheepskin cover can make a significant difference, and I've been down that path
2.  Air Hawks are used by many riders, who reckon they are a great help.   I tried one and did not get on with it, as I didn't like the squishy feel.
3.  Information from Wombattle suggests that "BeadRider" can be pretty good.
4.  There are various after market seat modifiers/manufacturers, which have been mentioned ST2UP, and you might want to add MJM to the list.
5.  The gold standard seems to RusselDaylong, who custom make a seat to suit your weight, build and riding position.   I have gone to one of these, and it's a vast improvement over the OEM seat, but I still need a break after a around 300km, as knees, back and bum combine to force me out of the seat.

Good luck on your quest to find a soultion that suits you particular needs. 
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Joso

• Joso
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 07:45:45 PM »
 :hi Pete I tried lambs wool  but not to my liking got seat modified by met cruise in Dubbo $450.00 went to mackay from Mudgee in 2 days no problem would not be able to do on original seat

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 09:27:00 PM »
When I did my 3000km in 4 day trip I borrowed a members Airhawk which I put under  sheepskin rug which was roughly seat shaped on my ST1100 OEM seat..... and it made a shit tonne of difference for me ..... but this was my one and only experiment with something in ng b other than a standard seat...... basically anything is an improvement on the standard ..... it just depends on the distance/time factor, the cost factor, the stability factor and so many other factors.

For around town and rides of less than 2 hours duration my trusty sheep skin rug is more than adequate, for rides over that time I'm definitely looking at something.... anything else to help comfort my .... uncomfortableables .....   :o
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 07:10:34 PM »
My experience. I had the OEM foam reshaped to 'flatten' the seating position but this added to the firmness of the seat. I did this as I felt the seat was constantly pushing me into the tank. This happened before I learnt of the trick to bend the locating lugs at the rear of the riders seat, so that it sits in a lower step at the back. I'm sure this would have made a significant difference before I had it reshaped. I then had a custom made sheep skin cover made which felt great, but didn't add a great deal of time that I could spend in the saddle in one sitting. Subsequently, I bought an Airhawk and this has added to the time I can spend in the saddle, but it isn't perfect. I'm no FarRider or Iron Butt, but I do like to be comfortable while riding, and the Airhawk has suited me for what I do. Trick is not to 'over inflate'. Just have enough air in it so your bum doesn't make contact with the surface beneath. Having said all that, if you have the cash, the Russell Daylong appears to be the ultimate farkle as you never see one in the second hand market.  :whistle  Just sayin'.
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
I have an Airhawk under the sheepskin on both the seats on my ST13 and we love it.  Apart from looking better and holding the pad in place, putting it under the sheepie stops thieves walking away with it as happened to a mate when he left his bike under the Grafton Maccas.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »
I have an airhawk in the shed somewhere. It did make a difference but the seat upgrade by MJM in Goulburn was a big improvement. The Russel Daylong on Neils bike in the US was far and away the best seat for long days.

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 05:35:12 PM »
I used a airhawk for a number of years and found that it extended my riding time, so the long days on the bike much more enjoyable but since upgrading to a Sergeant seat I find I don't need it any more
But thumbs up to the airhawk they are a great product  :like
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243