Honda ST1300 Section > Ask A Tech about your Honda ST1300

Cold Start difficult

(1/4) > >>

TassieTone:
Hi all,
Video of problem: https://youtu.be/yCHxvSMLjc8
I bought my 2004 ST1300A a couple of weeks ago.
-Delkevic pipes
-K&N air filter
-71,000 K's
When warm it starts first time and runs fine. But cold starts are difficult.
Here's what Ive done to try and fix the problem:
1. New fully charged battery
2. New spark plugs
3. Additive to petrol fuel injection cleaner and run full tank through.
4. Fresh oil/filter
The cold starts have improved but still difficult.
I'll add a video of the problem.
Hope you can help solve this issue please.
Cheers, Tony

Brock:
 Does the K&N have the outer foam filter fitted? If so remove the outer filter. It could be over fueling due to the filter choking the engine.

From what I have read over the years, STs dont like K&N very much.

ruSTynutz:
Sorry to butt in but I'm confused, I've seen this comment re the foam before but my K&N looks like this:  :think1

TassieTone:
OOPS! What I said below is wrong. They do go out when I press Starter. It's just the small side lights that stay on. Sorry.

Forgot to mention that when I jumper my car battery to it it starts straight away even when cold.

Should the headlights go out when you press the starter? They don't on mine. Thought that if they did there would be more "juice" for the spark plugs.
Tony

Brock:
OK, the K&N you showed, isnt the problem one..

If bike starts, when jump started, the your battery is suspect. Measure the voltage while cranking, if below 10 volts the battery is no good. Bike starting when warm indicates the battery has charged up while running, but the cold start problem indicates that capacity is lost after sitting overnight..

Its a relatively cheap starting point, to replace the battery.

Most STs will drop the headlight when starting, but there seem to be a few that dont.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version