Author Topic: Braided Clutch Line for 2010 ST1300  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Aussieboy

• STeve
Braided Clutch Line for 2010 ST1300
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »
http://ozstoc.com/Smileys/default/bk13.gif
I have just fitted a set of Helibar Gen  III risers and think the clutch line is a little stressed when the bars are on a full right lock. It is fine anywhere else. What I was thinking was getting a braided line a little bit longer than the mix of rubber and metal that Honda use. This brings about 2 questions:
1. Has anyone done this and were there any problems?
2. When you bleed the clutch do you need an air bleed tool or can it be successfully bled just by pumping the clutch lever?

As an aside, at a little under 5'9" I think this is one of the best mods I have made to the bike (and there have been many), riding position for long rides has been improved substantially.
Steve
2010 ST1300
Ulysses 61988
It's not difficult it's just unfamiliar

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
Re: Braided Clutch Line for 2010 ST1300
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
the short answer is yes and ...no.  :-(((

You will do much better to get hold of a "Mighty Vac" (ebay $80) and it will pay for itself the 1st time you flush fill and bleed the brakes.

You can swap a clutch line for a longer one without the mighty vac, but be VERY careful not to get any fluid on the bike, keep it completly covered and keep a water hose pipe close at hand for any accidents....

I also fit the Gen 3.2 Heli Bar riser purchased from Mick Hone suzuki in melb (hes the vic. distributor) and although it is a tight fit, it works.
good luck,   
Zev

Offline Aussieboy

• STeve
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
Thanks Zev, got my Gen 3's from Mick Hone - great service. Everything is working fine, I am just concerned about the amount of pressure on the clutch line on full right lock. Might get a a professional opinion, before I swap the line out.
Looks like a Mighty Vac is on the purchasing list now.
Regards,
Steve
Steve
2010 ST1300
Ulysses 61988

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
I found the same thing when I did my risers... (http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=2334.0)

(On mine I found the clutch line was a bit tight so I undid one of the cable stays/clips to free up the movement)

On the left hand side of the handlebars there is a pipe running down that has what appears to be a plastic bend in it.
       On this pipe is a plastic clip, I removed it and left it off.

(The clip goes around the pipe and through the metal square)

I found this gave more movement without putting strain on the pipe.

I hope this is of some help :thumbsup
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Aussieboy

• STeve
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:41 AM »
Thanks Shiney. I will have a look at that. I took it to a local racing mechanic, who slightly bent the metal part of the pipe and gave relief to the pressure and he is of the opinion there should be no problems. I think to be sure next time the clutch fluid is due to be replaced I will fit a flexible line anyway.
Steve
2010 ST1300
Ulysses 61988