Author Topic: 2021-12-11 Strathalbyn Ride To Eat  (Read 801 times)

2021-12-11 Strathalbyn Ride To Eat
« on: December 12, 2021, 06:20:20 AM »
The Strathalbyn Ride To Eat was my opportunity to christen the Ozstoc Rider's jacket.  This photo was taken by my computer's camera so the image quality isn't that good.

I stopped at this spot whilst on the job and took a few photos here and told myself to bring the drone out here for some shots.  The time of the day wasn't good with regards to the angle of the sun.  Late afternoon is probably better.  Oh well another day.

I bought the same model as Johnnyted after seeing how easy he operated it in Quorn.  This thing tells you everything.  When I first got it home I tried to just get it off the ground for a first photo but it refused to take off because I was in a restricted area.  No doubt my proximity to an airport.  Yesterday at Greenhill it insisted I "return to base" because of the strong winds.  I did, but not before getting a screenshot first.

I pass this water tank in Carey Gully quite a lot, but it's first time I have got to see it from above.  The tanks at Lincoln Gap are full of old tyres.  I didn't know that until I saw someone else's drone shots on instagram.

The screen turns to black and white when you disconnect the drone or switch it off.  I hope it never does that when it's in the air.  It might suggest it's flown out of range.  Mind you, it'll probably refuse to do it.  I vaguely remember it telling me that in Mylor on its maiden flight in september.

Today's selfie comes from Aldgate railway station.  Trains no longer stop there, although they did one day a couple of months ago when the brakes of a freight train locked on.  That was fun.

Aldgate bus depot as seen from above.

I did not expect to see a camel yesterday.  For a while now I've told myself to go and have a look at Nixon's mill in Hahndorf Heights as I drive past the sign a lot.  I was expecting a mill in a grain production sense of the word but apparently it was a windmill.  The building is still there (behind the camel) but the blades have been taken down.

Macclesfield as seen from above:

I arrived at Strath' quite early so popped up the drone to get a picture of the Kenny Blake memorial sculpture from a different angle.

I then popped down to the station to vegetate.  I'd been there for quite a while before I decided to pop the drone up for one final time, or so I thought.  I ended up getting it out for the group photo.  Only three of us for day, but it's that time of year when everyone has other commitments and running around.

That wraps up out RTE's for 2021.  Bring on 2022.  The proposed calendar looks good with venues spread out in all directions.   :thumbsup
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 08:25:12 AM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Lionel, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff

Offline Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
Re: 2021-12-11 Strathalbyn Ride To Eat
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 07:01:26 AM »
Thanks Bodo for your write up on the RTE
Thanks for sharing  :hatwave
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

The following users thanked this post: Lionel

Offline Dragonstaff

• Dave
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
Aldgate has turned the bus park 90 degrees. They used to face the depot building. And the windmill at Hahndorf has been missing the blades and top cap for at least 25 years.
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

Keep the dirty side down.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500
(Not all bikes are running at the current time)

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 05:56:44 AM »
I had a great day out on the Beemer, which was my first RTE on the bike for quite a while.   The food at the Robin Hood was very good indeed, and I reckon my "Hood Special" Schnitty was the best I've ever had, which is a big call.   The topping included lots of shards of crispy bacon and avoccado, and the serve of fresh veges was, generous and not overcooked.   :eat   I rolled out the door and have barely eaten since....   
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, ruSTynutz

Bodø

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 01:56:50 PM »
Your skills with the drone are getting better and better Bodo. And isn't that just a great sculpture of Kenny Blake, there's something new that you find in it every time you visit. Can't wait for Jan 15 2022

I've done the videos now.  Enjoy them and some great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7J2Ny1P9MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNFyrh8thY4

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »
I thought you were gonna land your drone on the power line or whatever it was in that first video, Bodø!  :popcorn

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 03:18:35 PM »
I think it looks closer than it actually was.   I don't recall being concerned.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz