Author Topic: 2019/04/27 Mannum Ride To Eat  (Read 1364 times)

Bodø

2019/04/27 Mannum Ride To Eat
« on: April 28, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »
A relatively short ride by my standards saw me check out both sides of the Murray River.  First pit stop was Tailem Bend where I refuelled and took out the mobius and gopro cameras and set the running.  There was quite a bit of drama on the South Eastern Freewat getting there.  Firstly I think I triggered a speed camera just south of Mount Barker so now I have an anxious few weeks.  Then at Gifford Hill there were a whole line of lorries stopped on the freeway and police everywhere.  Initially I thought they were doing a blitz on defect lorries but it turns out a van clipped one and burst into flames.  The freeway was closed when I came back later that morning (not that I intended to use it).

I was in Kepa when I realized I didn't put the gopro on the helmet.  Where the hell is Kepa?  Exactly.  I had never heard of it either but it does have some huge powerlines.

I rode down into Sunnyside for the first time.  It's very well secluded.  These are their public toilets.

The best view I got of the river was from Greenbanks.  There was a road down to the river from here but being a private road I wasn't sure if I could go down it or not so I refrained.

This garbo must have got sick of seeing me but the time I snapped him at Murrawong.  I was actually parked in his turning circle at Greenbanks (didn't expect a garbage truck on saturday) and from that point he pretty much followned me through Willowbanks and Murrawong.

I learned of Long Flat after spending a day at Old Tailem town earlier in the month.  Some of the bulidings were from Long Flat.  I never thought I'd say this much the smell of cattle was actually quite nice.

I'd been to the Frank Jackman memorial lookout in the past and that technically is in Long Flat.  I took this photo of the Swanport bridge from there.

Back on the northern sid of the river it was time to head east.  This is the railway station in Murray Bridge.

As mentioned by another forumite South Australia has its fair share of derelict bulidings.  I took a lot of photos if them yesterday.  This one is in Murray Bridge North.

I knew I missed the turnoff to Mobilong and Toora when I arrived at Mypolonga.  When I posted a photo of an Esso service station in Japan on my facebook page someone suggested I find an Ampol.  japan never had Ampol but I did find an Ampol sign in Robe a few months later.  Actually I have seen a few since then.  Then I was told to find a Golden Fleece one.  Golden Fleece is long before my time here but I found one in Mypolonga.

When I was taking that photo the guy came out and we had a bit of a yarn.  He is in the process of doing up and old petrol bowswer from that same garage.  He dd say he was reluctanct to put it out the front on display because it would get stolen but did offer to open it up to show if I ever return with friends.

This view of the river is from Zadows Landing and I now have a Z up my sleeve for the Find A Town Make A Word thread.

I was the first to arrive in Mannum and sat on the river for about an hour before walking back to the Pretoria and seeing Ian parked beside the kwaka.  Who knows, John G may have already been inside trying the beer by this time.

Just a small turnout today despite being an excellent venue and having glorious weather.  Such is life.

I returned via Milendella and Mount Pleasant.

Bring on Balranald.  I am looking forward to it.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, John g

Online Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
Re: 2019/04/27 Mannum Ride To Eat
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 10:27:30 AM »
Great pics and RR, thanks Bodo San 👍👍
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
2024 Honda Transalp coming

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »
Firstly I think I triggered a speed camera just south of Mount Barker so now I have an anxious few weeks.

Always a worry.  I can identify with your reference in the other report about taking a beak between poit-to-point cameras.  The Pacific Hwy in NSW has a continuous string of them!  :eek

>> I was in Kepa when I realized I didn't put the gopro on the helmet.  Where the hell is Kepa?  Exactly.  I had never heard of it either but it does have some huge powerlines.

They're what bring SA's power to them from Victoria most of the time, and especially at night as the Big Battery goes flat.

>>I rode down into Sunnyside for the first time.  It's very well secluded.  These are their public toilets.

Funny that they need 3 for the boys and one for the ladies.  The queues are always at the ladies' loos, so you'd think they would need 3 rather than the fellers.

>> This garbo must have got sick of seeing me but the time I snapped him at Murrawong.  I was actually parked in his turning circle at Greenbanks (didn't expect a garbage truck on saturday) and from that point he pretty much followned me through Willowbanks and Murrawong.

You're going to have to learn to ride faster!!

>> Golden Fleece is long before my time here but I found one in Mypolonga.

Golden Fleece was in its hey-day in the 1950s.  It was a company called H. C. Sleigh.  Wikipedia says Caltex absorbed them in 1981.

>> This view of the river is from Zadows Landing and I now have a Z up my sleeve for the Find A Town Make A Word thread.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for Williamson to post the New Word!   :well
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline John g

• ST 1100.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:31:14 PM »
 :grin.  And I thought I got away with that pre lunch beer!!Great write up as usual Bodo ,thanks.
John  g

Bodø

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »
Firstly I think I triggered a speed camera just south of Mount Barker so now I have an anxious few weeks.

Always a worry.  I can identify with your reference in the other report about taking a beak between poit-to-point cameras.  The Pacific Hwy in NSW has a continuous string of them!  :eek

Nothing in the GPO Box this morning when I cleared it.