Author Topic: Enroute OZSTOC Rally 2019  (Read 959 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Enroute OZSTOC Rally 2019
« on: November 26, 2019, 12:59:58 AM »
I have changed the photos over to Photobucket and will be interested to hear if anyone can't see them.

I planned a straight run through to Broadford to position myself for a casual day's ride to the Melbourne Station Pier for the ferry.

I had been monitoring the news about the fires blocking the "Pacific Coast Way" near Taree, so planned to travel via the Newell Highway.  It is the shorter route, but involves a much higher roo-strike risk at night than the PCW.  I transited the Airport Link tunnel only to be informed the Legacy Way tunnel was closed and I needed to find an alternative route.  Fair enough, but when you're on a bit of a mission, these impediments aren't welcome.

Once established on the Ipswich Motorway I got this sign:

Now this is the third time my preferences were being decided for me, but I was happy to go via the exceptionally smooth Toowoomba Bypass, especially while it's still free.  The run down through Millmerran was incident-free although there was plenty of smoke in the air, as evident in the dawn shot.

I pulled into Boggabilla, my usual refuel after the first stage.  The GPS clock had leapt foward an hour just after crossing the Macintyre River, one of the few in the area with a bit of water.

The Moree Bypass is another pleasure for travellers uninterested in 50 kph shopping centres.  But I think I have yet to get a green light at the annoying Gwydir Highway intersection.

The pub at Gurley seems to be still open- it's just a year since I stopped there when they were all excited about their Halloween party.

My next fuel stop is Gilgandra.  The distance works well; my low-level light has usually been flashing for 40 km by the time I pull in there (which still gives me at least a 40 km buffer).

Dubbo has further embraced their hippo motif.

Whenever I've ridden through Peak Hill I've felt I didn't have the luxury of a tourist diversion to see the open cut gold mine, but this time I gave myself permission.

It is readily accessible and very well documented- well worth giving it 30 minutes for the short walk from the carpark, and it's free!

The GPS was determined that I should track via Narrandera but I insisted on Temora, so ignored its imprecations.  That meant I could puzzle over this conraption in Barmedman:

While the fanbelts appeared to be fake, there did seem to be real belts under the trimming, so it's possible the hybrid could work.

I had to get this shot- it tickled me that I came all this way to a town deep in NSW to see a Queensland Hotel!  It gets good reviews, but I couldn't find with a quick search of the internet, any sort of history or explanation for the odd choice of name.

The next port of call was Wagga for fuel.

After seeing bare dirt in the paddocks in Queensland and northern NSW, it was amazing to see many paddocks in Victoria with very big hay harvests.  I had passed dozens of semis heading north to desperate farmers with loads of hay.

The servo in Broadford had been checked for opening times, and I was in with a good margin.

I had teed up my motel for a late check-in and the manager had very obligingly left the door unlocked with the aircon warming the room for my arrival.  My only bleat was the gravel courtyard.  I struggle wrangling the 330 kg bike around on loose gravel and it was a pain trying to back her up in the morning.  But here Ruby2sday sits awaiting her next trip.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=20d765dc0b594ec2e5&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Distance:  1658 km- Ironbutt standard, to be submitted for certification.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:51:43 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy, ruSTynutz

Bodø

Re: Enroute OZSTOC Rally 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 01:28:09 AM »
Images aren't showing for me.

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 06:10:58 AM »
 Same here Bill, no images
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

Bodø

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 06:41:14 AM »
I had to quote the post and manually open them individually in a separate browser to view them.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:41:16 AM »
That's annoying- they're in imgur which works with FarRiders whereas imghostr doesn't.   :'(
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »
All working good here!  :thumbsup

Nice pics & story, by the way...

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »
Pics working in Tapatalk and an interesting read. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555