Author Topic: Mirror LED turn signals  (Read 2732 times)

atoyot

Mirror LED turn signals
« on: April 17, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
I bought two sets of these in amber (http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?110744-Mirror-LED-turn-signals-for-sale) from Stan in the USA, mainly because it was more economical for postage for 2 sets, and also in the belief that there would be someone else here like me who couldn't be bothered working out what and where to buy for individual components.

So I have a kit ready to install in an ST1300 that I'm happy to sell and post anywhere in Australia for $25, which is slightly cheaper than getting a single set from Stan ($27.70 on the current rate now that the current rate is better than a few weeks ago...).

I'll throw in all the scotch locks, as I don't use them, so first PM in to me, best dressed.

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:49:10 PM by atoyot »

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Mirror LED turn signals
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:20:40 PM »
I have similar thanks to an anonymous donor  :-++ and they are sensational   :thumbs
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »
Hi Andrew, I'll have them if they are still available thanks.
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »
 pm sent

atoyot

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »
Original set has been snapped up, and it seems like others are like me and happy enough to get the bits in a kit, so I might check out the prices of Jaycar for the leds and resistors etc, and if they're cheap enough, I'll knock up a few sets for anyone interested. Watch this space and PM me anyone else interested,

Offline 2Triky

• Old Fart
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »
Oh crap, didn't know these existed.  I was looking at a $100+ automatic indicator cancelling module.  But it was too expensive.  So as an alternative, I thought that as I regularly check my mirrors a little LED light on the edge of the mirror would be handy, and get my attention.

So I went up to Jaycar and spent a whole $6.00 each on two little red LED lights.  And fitted them same as the instructions mentioned in this post.  They work a treat and cheap.  You could fit more than one on each mirror if you wish, which I am considering. I did want amber, but they only had red, and in hindsight I think is better as cars behind me will see the red light flash and attract their attention (only a minute possibility and wishful thinking there).
Cheers,
Mick.
Woodvale. W.A.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 10:58:50 PM »
I suspect that if the drivers behind you see the little LEDs in your mirror covers before they see you bike's indicators there's something wrong- like they're waaaay too close to your right elbow.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »
I was 1 of Atoyot's guinea pigs 2 instal a pair of LED mirror indicator lights. Instructions were clear.  Andrew has used positap connectors and they r easy and reliable. Just b really careful when drilling the mirror holes as the drill bit can easily get out of control and the holes over drilled.
So take it slowly and gently or start with a 3mm bit and finish with a 5mm. Then spend a bitta time tidying up the drill holes with a blade and BobsYerUncle.
They r a gr8 idea both 4 visibility and as a reminder 2 switch off!   :thumbs 

If u r interested then indicate in this thread and Atoyot can get an idea of what quantity 2 buy and can set a price.
Wyvern the Dragon STeed is xstatic about having more glowing flames!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:49:11 AM by ST.George »
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:13:38 PM »
I made my own with 4 miniture LEDs wired in series, from Jaycar. Mine don't need a dropping resistor. I think Shiney did a "how to" on it from memory.

Biggles, the advantage for me is I often don't see the green one in the dash brcause of my height and riding position.

I also take the view that any extra illumination can't hurt. It may be the one piece of light they do see. That could be the difference between home and splat.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

atoyot

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »
Whoops, that was a bad miss by me! The How To is :-

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=5399.0

For anyone else who doesn't want to fiddle around putting it together, I can send a set of 5mm leds with in-line resistors all soldered up, with 4 cable ties and four positaps anywhere in Aust for $20. That covers the costs of the parts, postage and packing only, as I bought  extra LED's and the bits required to do a few of these, just in case. The most expensive parts needed were the 4 positaps, but there are other ways to tap into the indicator wires anyway. Oh well.

I wish I'd seen Shiney's post first :fp

atoyot

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 12:03:08 PM »
Just thought of something else I saw on the web the other day (that I now can't find   :|||| :||||  ). For those who are habitual in forgetting to turn off your indicators, and this farkle still isn't visible enough to remind you, I did see a photo of the dash of an ST Owner in the US, and he had a set of cheap LED indicators wired up on his dashboard/instrument panel to face him; the idea being that they are cheap, bright and simple to install, and it would be very hard to miss even on a bright day. They probably don't look the most integrated of farkles, but I suspect that they would be very effective, hopefully not too bright. I just happen to have a couple of pairs of unused LED indicators from my naked bike, so I'll have to add that to my ToDo list, as I'm concerned that one day, someone is going to pull out on me claiming I've had my blinker on; chances are that I might have.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 02:38:40 PM »
My old 1977 Yamaha XS650 had self canceling indicators, and I can't believe that it's not standard equipment on modern bikes.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

atoyot

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
My '76 model doesn't, so that must have been the big improvement that year. The big improvement on my '74 TX650A was apparently the replacement of the bearing in the hinge in the frame. They upgraded it from a plain bearing to a tapered roller, some wag reckoned.  :wink1

Offline aussie761

• ST Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 08:18:04 PM »
I saw these and thought "what a great idea"...I bought 20 x 3mm amber leds (with free resistors) off ebay for $2.50 with free postage, grabbed a couple of lengths of wire and used 3 x leds on each mirror (would have had enough leds to make 3 sets but forgot to solder on the resistor to the first set and fried them  :fp).  I followed "Shineys" instructions  :rockon and it turned out to be a very simple job.   A great little farkle

atoyot

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 08:52:25 PM »
I dug around in my Yamaha spares and found some Oxford LED indicators, and just trying them for size, they are a great fit for the dash either side of the instruments and just under the bit that comes out from the vertical. They are the perfect angle and size, so I think I'll wire them up and stick them on the dash and see how they go. I'm pretty sure they will be nigh on impossible to not see. Pics to follow.

atoyot

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 02:09:15 PM »
Probably should post this elsewhere, but here are some photos of the LED indicators after I cut the ends off, siliconed up the wiring opening and stuck them on. If I ever forget to turn my blinkers off, it will be because I've fallen off or gone blind:-

Now I just need to tidy up the wiring a bit.

I also have another set of these Oxford indicators, if anyone is interested in them. They are just the perfect shape to fit on the dash where I've fitted them, and whilst they might look a bit doofy, they work well for those who tend to not notice they've left their indicators on.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 05:54:33 PM »
Well done mate :thumbs

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 06:25:53 PM »
Well they look "flash"  :crackup
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
They certainly do fit perfectly Andrew - well dun m8! Dazzling ... Wot thuh ... Unmissable
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon