Author Topic: Filtering - Lane Splitting  (Read 29510 times)

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
Re: Filtering - Lane Splitting
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »
Filtering with a trailer in tow!  That's another step up I hadn't thought of!    :eek

The STs have enough trouble as it is with our mirrors almost exactly at the same level as most car mirrors.
I must clarify my post... I dont filter with the trailer,, especially in Sydney's traffic. but I have forgotten I have it attached  :fp when off on an adventure somewhere.
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Offline Maxnettoz

• ST Legend
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:49:41 PM by Maxnettoz »

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »
Now the education begins

Cars need to know that they need to allow the space up the centre to make this work properly. Cars in the outer lanes need to hug the outside

"We Welcome You To Join Us" - Lane Filtering Now Legal in QLD

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »
On the way to work yesterday morning, as I was filtering down the 2.5 metre wide safety lane (road shoulder) at the start of the Gateway Motorway south bound, the big electronic billboard had a big image of a motorcycle with the words "Lane filtering is legal under certain circumstances."
As I was riding very safely at less than 30 km/h and more than 2 metres from completely stationary , I gave the sign a very big thumbs up.
I got to work in 45 minutes, Truck drivers had said they had been stuck in that jam for over 2 hours.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
(road shoulder)

I thought you could only filter down the centre (white line)... *re-reads*

:o

This is a game changer. They should make this shoulder lane a dedicated bike lane

Riding on the road shoulder on a motorcycle in Queensland

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 08:06:33 AM »
Bicycle storage areas

All motorcycle riders will be able to enter a bicycle storage area as long as they give way to any cyclists or motorcycle riders who are already there. This will allow them to move quickly and safely away from other traffic.

What's a Bike storage area?

Offline Maxnettoz

• ST Legend
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2015, 12:19:55 PM »
Just in front of the solid white line.  Must give way to bicycles etc and be mindful of pedestrians etc.

"Bicycle storage areas

A bicycle storage area is a section of the road, close to an intersection with traffic lights, where you can wait (for the traffic lights to change) in front of the stopped motor vehicles. They are usually painted green with white bicycle symbols. Cyclists and motorcycle riders are allowed to cross the first stop line to enter the bicycle storage area but must stop at the second stop line at a red traffic light. Motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, must stop at the first stop line.

Cyclists are not required to enter a bicycle storage area from a bicycle lane.

When you use a bicycle storage area, you must:

give way to anyone that is already in the bicycle storage area
give way to any vehicle entering the area when there is a green or yellow light in front of the bicycle storage area."

Offline Maxnettoz

• ST Legend
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
(road shoulder)

I thought you could only filter down the centre (white line)... *re-reads*

:o

This is a game changer. They should make this shoulder lane a dedicated bike lane

Riding on the road shoulder on a motorcycle in Queensland

REMEMBER 90km/h zone or more.  Highway, motorway kind of road.  Not a street in a built up area with limit <90.

Offline Marcus

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »
Just in front of the solid white line.  Must give way to bicycles etc and be mindful of pedestrians etc.

"Bicycle storage areas

A bicycle storage area is a section of the road, close to an intersection with traffic lights, where you can wait (for the traffic lights to change) in front of the stopped motor vehicles. They are usually painted green with white bicycle symbols. Cyclists and motorcycle riders are allowed to cross the first stop line to enter the bicycle storage area but must stop at the second stop line at a red traffic light. Motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, must stop at the first stop line.

Don't think I've ever seen one... or cared enough to notice

Offline Maxnettoz

• ST Legend
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »

"Bicycle storage areas

Cyclists are not required to enter a bicycle storage area from a bicycle lane.

When you use a bicycle storage area, you must:

give way to anyone that is already in the bicycle storage area
give way to any vehicle entering the area when there is a green or yellow light in front of the bicycle storage area."

Further information

Motorcycle riders in bicycle storage areas and bicycle lanes

Motorcycle riders are now allowed to enter bicycle storage areas (the areas of road close to an intersection with traffic lights that allows cyclists to wait in front of vehicles stopped at the intersection, and usually painted green with white bicycle symbols). This will allow them to move quickly and safely away from traffic.

Motorcycle riders are not allowed to ride in bicycle lanes in normal circumstances. However, all vehicles, including motorcycles, can travel for up to 50m in a bicycle lane in various special circumstances, such as to stop or park in the lane, to enter or leave a road, or to avoid an obstruction.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »

Something we don't have in SA.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »

Something we don't have in SA.

It's the rectangle of green bicycle lane that extends a metre or two in front of the vehicle stop line (which 50% of drivers ignore and roll a half car length over).
Being in that box makes you more obvious to the driver in the left lane.  If she/he beats you off the lights then, it's more shame on you!!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »

It's the rectangle of green bicycle lane that extends a metre or two in front of the vehicle stop line (which 50% of drivers ignore and roll a half car length over).
Being in that box makes you more obvious to the driver in the left lane.  If she/he beats you off the lights then, it's more shame on you!!

In SA the cycle stop line is the same as the normal lanes........as usual that only applies to those cyclists who actually stop for a red light or the ones that don't ride on the footpath (they still think they're 12 and under).

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2016, 10:59:04 PM »
Here is an expert filtering on the ST13 on the M6 in England - still looks awkward and cumbersome - but he gets through....

! No longer available

FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2016, 11:26:53 PM »
He'd be stretching the 30 kph limit permitted and the definition of "stationary, or nearly stationary" under Australian laws.  The 40 miles per hour variable speed signs would suggest the freely moving traffic might be up to 60 or more kph.

For me, the problem is dem damn mirrors!    >:()
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Philbo

• Old,not bold
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
Every time he gets so close to a moving vehicle he risks becoming squished.  I hope he has something really useful to do with the time he saves. 
Phil
Ermagard

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »
Every time he gets so close to a moving vehicle he risks becoming squished.  I hope he has something really useful to do with the time he saves. 
Phil
Filtering is part of their rider training course plus drivers are educated (generally) to watch out for bikes and let them through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ed_qbSJsg4#
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:42:44 PM by alans1100 »

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »
The fish eye lens makes it look tighter and worse then it is.
It looked a little tighter than my daily commute on the Gateway.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2016, 04:09:12 PM »
Some spots are just to tight for me....if I have to stay in traffic then so be it..... I have used the outside strip but very concerned about my tyres when and if I do..
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

• Rob Married Ros 14/09/2019
  • Legendary Member
  • White Phoenix
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2016, 06:53:46 PM »
Hi Terry, sorry mate wasn't having a go at you.  I was talking in general.

In heavy traffic will do the same if it's safe to do so, and I feel the drivers around me are a risk.  It depends on the road, and conditions.  For instance I would always split and get to the front heading north from Abbortsford Rd and into Sandgate Rd through Albion, because you can't be hit by a bad merger when you are in front of them.

It's a bit like speeding, we all go that little bit over the limit at times, and if we happen to get caught, cop it on the chin.  On the highway by myself, I'll regulary sit a metre or two behind a vehicle until I'm seen in the mirrors, then accelarate past them.  During this manouvre I'm usually going 10-20 km above the limit, before resuming my cruising speed.  Whilst this keeps me safer on the road, being 'away' from drivers not looking out, I can still be booked. A risk I'm willing to take.

If we get caught filtering, we need to cop it on the chin, unless we think we have a good case to plead :grin

Lane filtering rules

Lane filtering is when you ride your motorcycle at low speed between stationary or slow moving vehicles travelling in the same direction you are.

You're only allowed to lane filter in Queensland if you hold an open licence for the motorcycle you are riding and:

your speed when filtering is 30km/h or less
    it's safe to do so.

You're not allowed to lane filter:

at a speed more than 30km/h
    in school zones during school zone hours
    if you're a learner or provisional licence holder
    if it isn't safe.

To ensure pedestrian safety, lane filtering is only allowed between stationary or slow moving vehicles, not between a vehicle and the kerb. Any vehicle, including a motorcycle may overtake to the left of a stationary vehicle. Read more about overtaking to the left.  :blu13left
CHEERS
DRACO :)

Honda MT250 Elsinore, Honda 750 four F1
Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki Z1R Mk ll (mint green)
FJ1200 Yamaha 1995, Kawasaki Z1100
Kawasaki Z1000, FJ1200 Yamaha 1995
FJ1200 Yamaha 1992, FJR1300 Yamaha 2004
ST1300 Honda 2004, FJ1200 Yamaha 1990

My next ride:2015 ST1300P
White Phoenix

• Legendary Member
  • White Phoenix
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2016, 06:56:34 PM »

:blu13 Rules for riding on road shoulders

If you hold an open licence for the motorcycle you are riding, you can ride on road shoulders and in emergency stopping lanes on major roads—such as highways, freeways and motorways past stationary or slow moving traffic if:

the speed limit is 90km/h or more
    your speed is 30km/h or less
    you give way to cyclists or other motorcycle riders already using the shoulder
    it is safe to do so
    you are not riding on any unsealed parts of the road.

Road shoulders are the sealed area to the left or right of a road's edge line.  :grin :blu13left
CHEERS

White Phoenix

• Legendary Member
  • White Phoenix
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2016, 06:59:04 PM »
Phil
Filtering is part of their rider training course plus drivers are educated (generally) to watch out for bikes and let them through.

! No longer available

:blu13 Motorcycle control rules

You must stay in control of your motorcycle at all times. You must sit with 1 leg on either side of your seat at all times when riding a motorcycle, but you can lift your leg from the footrests if you need to while riding.
Pillion passenger rules

A motorcycle passenger that sits behind the rider is called a pillion passenger.

You must only carry a passenger on a motorcycle if you:

hold a provisional or open licence for the class of motorcycle you are riding
    and
    you have held that licence for at least 1 year.

You must not carry pillion passengers, including your supervisor, at any time, if you hold a:

class RE learner licence
    class RE provisional or open licence, but are riding a class R motorcycle in order to learn to ride that class of vehicle.

You must also not carry a pillion passenger for the first 12 months of holding a class RE or R provisional or open licence.
Rules for carrying passengers on any motorcycle

All of your passengers must wear an approved motorcycle helmet securely fastened.
    Pillion passengers must be at least 8 years old and their feet must be able to reach the passenger footrests while seated.
    You must not carry more passengers on the motorcycle or in the motorcycle's sidecar than the vehicle was designed to carry.
    Your passenger must be seated safely on the pillion seat or in the sidecar.
    Your pillion passenger must not ride on the motorcycle unless the motorcycle has a suitable pillion seat and suitable passenger footrests.
    Your pillion passenger must face forwards and sit with a leg on either side of the seat, but is allowed to move a leg off the footrests to stretch or raise themselves from the seat.
    Your passenger must not interfere with your effective control of the motorcycle.  :thumbsup  :blu13left
CHEERS

White Phoenix

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2016, 07:00:19 PM »

If you hold an open licence for the motorcycle you are riding, you can ride on road shoulders and in emergency stopping lanes on major roads—such as highways, freeways and motorways past stationary or slow moving traffic if:

it is safe to do so

Road shoulders are the sealed area to the left or right of a road's edge line.  :grin :blu13left
And the fine for exceeding the 30 km/h limit is $345 and 3 points. :law
Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

• Legendary Member
  • White Phoenix
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »
 :blu13 You can download the Queensland Road Rules (PDF, 2.7MB) for more information on rules affecting motorcycles.  :thumbsup  :blu13
CHEERS

White Phoenix

• Legendary Member
  • White Phoenix
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »

it is safe to do so

And the fine for exceeding the 30 km/h limit is $345 and 3 points. :law

YES! that's why at 30kph, i select 1st gear  :like
CHEERS

White Phoenix