Author Topic: How do you steady your bike when you stop  (Read 12103 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: How do you steady your bike when you stop
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 10:50:35 AM »
Well a lot of conjecture about this one

I don’t know if this is right or not but am willing to have a go at it.

I slow down with RF on brake (Der) and just before I stop I change to front brake and then RF on ground while leaving LF on gears.

Come on give it to me know

The training dudes say you do your down-shifting before stopping so you're ready to roll.  Then left foot on the ground and right foot holding the brake. 

Then your throttle hand is free to gun it off the lights (I made up the last sentence, but it's what I do).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »
I have really long legs.  I put my left foot down, sometimes both feet if I'm by myself.
I've never considered putting my right foot down by itself. To me that seems as strange as getting on the bike from the right side.
But when riding the long legs are a handicap as I can't easily straighten them.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »

But when riding the long legs are a handicap as I can't easily straighten them.

Have you tried Highway Pegs?  They suit me very well, and I have relatively long shanks.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »
My Q-ride instructor firmly told me that I should brake with right foot and select 1st as I stop then put left foot down with right foot on brake.
The trouble with a tall bike on Aussie roads is that the road drops away on the left, so I have trouble breaking the habit of putting both feet down.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 01:53:18 PM »
The trouble with a tall bike on Aussie roads is that the road drops away on the left, so I have trouble breaking the habit of putting both feet down.

You do what you have to!  If the road isn't inclined there's no need to hold the rear brake on.  Even if it is, you can be nimble with the front brake and throttle control.

Riding the centre lane when there is one will reduce the camber for you.  I generally prefer the centre of the road as I feel it gives me a better view of what's ahead.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
I think that it is a good habit to develop (changing to 1st and then putting your left foot down) but of course common sense prevails.

I have dropped my bike 3 times while I was getting accustomed to it. Once slowing to a stop sign about to turn left.. I found later that there was a bit of a depression in the road surface and I may have put my foot in that. I also wasn't used to the bike and also found that it was high when it still had the original seat. The second drop was while riding up a steep hill and then again turning left at very slow speed with my wife as pillion. I over-balanced and slowly put it down on it's left side. The 3rd time was at Esk and I attempted to reverse park it out the front of a cafe.. the camber of the road was steeper than usual and I may (or may not) have neglected to put the stand down. I feel much more comfortable and confident on the ST now, and I have modified the seat and it's a bit lower.

Online Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
Never really thought about it until this poll of contention was posted.
Thinking about it, I down change using a bit of pressure on both brakes and observe the traffic flow as I approach the intersection. If I know the sequence of the lights at the intersection, and if I know I will be sitting for a little while, I will select neutral just before coming to a stop and put the left foot down first followed very closely by the right if relatively flat ground. Both feet down until just before needing to select the No.1 gear and both feet on the ground again until the clutch is out and we have 'lift off'. Well I think thats the way I do it. If its not, I don't care anyway. Doing what feels right for me has served me well for a very long time. Peace Brothers.  :thumb

Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 10:01:24 AM »
I kind of use either foot.

Some times its right sometimes its left sometimes its both other times I try for the balancing act to see how long I can maintain a stopped position with both feet still up and balance ready for a quick take off...... mind you I am not so adept at this on the STeed as I was on the smaller bikes.
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
Mind you, if you have to think about it, you will cock it up, probably in an embarrassing manner.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Piet

• Caroline Springs, Victoria.
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
Never used to think much about it.  HART the Honda riding school advocates left foot down.  So if thats supposedly the better way,   I started taking notice and realized I might have had a preference for right foot down.  So I purposely made an effort to left foot down.  Now I am almost always left foot down.  Only go right foot when required by a gust of wind or road camber etc.
Rides:
ST1100P 2004 Darkside
VTX1800C 2008 V&H pipes (sold)