Author Topic: NEW POLL - What dangers do you look out for the MOST on the road?......  (Read 18892 times)

Offline gerd

• Brisbane (Springwood)
Re: NEW POLL - What dangers do you look out for the MOST on the road?......
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »
I don't trust anyone on a roundabout to follow the road rules ie beware of anyone using or not using indicators when they are on a roundabout. Cars with their right indicators flashing will go straight ahead and those without indicators on at all will turn left.

I have also had several near misses when cars change lanes without looking properly as it is easy for a motorcycle to be in their mirror blind spot.

http://ozstoc.com/Smileys/default/dr11.gif
gerd gabriel
2000 ST1100A

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »
That applies if riding a bike or driving a car... :law :law :law
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

rendog

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
Why aren't logging truck listed ???

Caution: contains graphic (really cool & realistic) special effects

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 02:21:17 AM »
It's very gratifying to read several posts here where riders cite their strategy of just getting away from the danger regardless of what they have to do to get there. I fully endorse the tactic. I call it, "searching for clear space" and it simply requires me having 50 metres clear distance in front and behind from any other vehicle. If it's a multi-lane road, then there should be no vehicles on either side of me as well. As soon as my clear space is invaded I take whatever action is required to regain it. Sure I speed and undertake a few dangerous maneuvers to achieve my desired outcome, but I'm still here and I know for a fact there was a few times I wouldn't have been if I didn't.

I've been riding for 41 years and one of them got me once. That was 36 years ago and I don't plan for one to ever get me again. That was caused by a car towing a trailer doing a U-turn in front of me without indicating. There was no road left by the time I T-boned him.

Another defence mechanism I've developed is "wheel watching". Useful mainly on multi-lane roads, this strategy has been born out of vehicles in front of me failing to indicate their intention to change lanes. I use it when approaching from behind or travelling beside a vehicle. When you're beside a vehicle it's difficult to see their indicators even if they are using them. If you watch carefully out of the corner of your eye, it's relatively easy to notice their front wheel starting to turn in toward you. Time to either accelerate out of there or brake if you have to. Accelerating is my preferred method, I have nightmares about braking hard and getting rammed from behind having seen that happen once.

Also, the old man in the Volvo is not a joke. I've twice been caught following a Volvo when they've passed a parallel park and upon realising just stopped and threw her into reverse seemingly thinking I was invisible. It is impossible to push a ST backwards up a sloping road so all I had left was to hang on my horn. I swear the old buggers were deaf too because they didn't stop in a hurry with one actually coming in contact with my front wheel before he finally executed the stop. If you see a Volvo steer course in the opposite direction.
Wayne Tenni
If this is as good as it gets .... it ain't too bad.

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
Good comments innet57.

I find it VERY frustrating that motorists may indicate AFTER they have begun the lane change process, and two wheels are already in the new lane.

They all seem to have forgotten that your indicator is meant to be used to let everyone know of your intentions..... NOT a lazy click just to avoid a fine as they are mostly already in the new lane.        :-(((

I call this 'Stealth Indicating' where they keep their turning/lane changing intentions TOP SECRET - right up to the last second!

I think it has come about as the new way of driving on Qld freeways - because the culture is such that if you indicate in plenty of time BEFORE changing lanes, the cars in that lane will speed up and close the gap so you CAN'T change lanes. This is typical in heavier traffic in the cage on freeways - DISGUSTING really!       :||||

You'd think that everyone would ask themselves if they have made everyone else aware that they are about to change course or direction, wouldn't you? It seems safer than to just pick a gap or lane and shoot into it.     :crazy

Hmmmmm..... there's hours more ranting we could do on this subject.          :cuss
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:20:15 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »
 :wht11 Py

Ahh indicators ? The reality is that 99% of people think that they are an optional extra and only use then as such
 :think1 :think1 :-((( then  :cuss
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »
My Grandad always used to say to me 'treat everyone on the road as a fool' - words that still stay with me today.

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 08:09:32 AM »
dickheads with basebll caps on back to front, guaranteed to cause trouble.
paul t

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
 :think1 thats a copper but just some old fart on a  :wht13  :fp
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D