Author Topic: Where do YOU see OzSTOC in the future.  (Read 43102 times)

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
Re: Where do YOU see OzSTOC in the future.
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
I would hardly put any Harley in the Sports Touring category . . I think the idea is accepting riders of other Sports Touring bikes into the group . . Not quad bikes, not Sports bikes etc . . I have been in a BMW Club, those bikes being the closest relative to our wonderful ST and most of the members of that club were very nice people and in a similar age grouping to our lot with a similar number of unusual characters.

I'm not sure if Chris, John, Pockey etc are intending to actively seek new members from other bike persuasions or just accept new members riding other bikes who request to join?

Just some thoughts from one of the oddballs . .
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 09:21:09 AM »
or just accept new members riding other bikes who request to join?
I think if we're going to go down this path, then a slow trickle would be the best way.

How many different Sports Tourer are there anyway?
Goldwings, STs, BMWs, Triumph (maybe)? I dunno, I don't pay attention to other bikes

Offline A2Z

• Horsley, NSW
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:56 AM »
My personal preference is for OzSTOC to remain as it is...a model specific group.  There are tons of other groups out there that cater to 'all' bikes.  But what sets us apart is the fact that we all own Honda ST's or have an interest in it. We all feel a certain comraderrie because we all have something in common. This explains why we all get along. There is no rivalry, no slagging off, no 'my bike is better than your bike', because we all own or are interested in the same particular model of bike.  Once we allow other models to be part of OzSTOC, then we're no longer 'special'. We're just another motorcycle riding group.
Red, loud, rowdy, and proud.

I don't want a pickle...I just wanna ride my motorcikle!

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
But we already do allow other bikes . . Some members have changed to different makes of bike . . Should we recind their membership? Does owning a different bike change their character to one us Honda owners cannot like? I don't think so.

Just some thoughts to ponder . . Personally I can live with whatever eventuates . . I'm a flexible sorta guy . .  :EatCake
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:59:35 AM by STroppy »
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »
Now that we have this topic rolling along Diesel, Streak, Brock, Saaz, Pockey and I will contribute our thoughts to the pot  :thumb

Thanks for your input everyone...but if you still haven't voted or contributed your comments, we really want to hear from you on our future direction  :popcorn

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »
I think Diesel raised this issue about a year or so ago, can't remember if it was behind the scenes or public. At that time I was moving towards the Triumph Trophy as my next bike going forward for a few years, given Honda had no intention of replacing the ST1300 with something updated a bit (not too hard as the basic platform is still great, in my opinion)  My ST1100 is a 96 model with 213,000kms on it so it still has life left but might need more serious work at some stage if I kept of doing the rides I wanted.  I decided to move to the Trophy as I wanted all the gear it had, plus it is just an easy and very sporty bike to ride, and just happens to be able to do distances as well. The ST1100 is staying though.

So after that, I am in the camp probably best expressed by Biggles - leave the forum and Australian ST specific, as this is just so much better than overseas based groups in many way.  Rides, tech stuff, getting together etc etc can't be beaten.

As for other ST like bikes, if riders fit in or have to move on the other bikes for various reasons, including to a lighter bike that is easier to manage, I would see them still participating if they wish for all the reasons other than tech stuff - after all many have years of experience with the STs that would be a shame to loose. Sub-fora for other bikes are probably not necessary, as the current rides, events etc fora will cover that off, with technical stuff available on bike specific fora..

I have a few trophy owners who might like to do the ride and social aspects, but most I know of in Australia have not come off Honda STs so would not have that 'common' bond with the bulk of members (whether current or past ST owners). Overseas, there are many coming off ST11s, ST13s, BMW RTs, BMW1600 etc etc. But my experience with the best Trophy forum out there is that the owners have much in common with Ozstoc in terms of maturity, getting on and sharing.

So to cut it short, evolution as we go along but with a Honda ST heart.  Keeping to that core makes managing things easier and more focused on what we are about, so less chance of loosing direction in future.

I must add that I still have my Suzuki 1978 GS1000, and there is still a very active forum with GS models even given their age. And in the last few years the BMWs of old are coming out of the shed in droves, so there is a lot of life in bike specific fora, especially given our links with world wide owners.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline spanner

• Blue is better .... apparently
  • NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • legend in my own match box.
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
I now invoke my right to change my mind!!

After reading and thinking further about the whole thing I think I would like to see the club remain a specifically Honda ST club in relation to the forum and the subjects related to that but obviously welcolme riders of other bikes as we currently do.

I think the forum for other bikes is out there if people want specific info related to their bikes.

Not sure how to change my vote on the poll but if I were able to do so I think I would take it from the yes and place it in the no camp.

:CB--
F.R. #905

I.B.A. # 63008

I acknowledge the Bindal and Wulgurukaba traditional custodians of this Australian land that I work, live and play on, and pay my respect to their cultures, their ancestors and to the elders, past, present and all future generations.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
I will decline to vote until I give it more thought.

I voted to keep as is.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline ppopeye

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »
As a newish member of OzStoc it was the friendly, accepting, informative aspects of the club that attracted me. I hadnt had a bike for 30 years when I met a friendly member in Inverell on an overnight RTE. This led to me joining the forum, buying an ST and taking part in RTEs and although I have not had the bike at some that has been accepted.  I like the way non members and other bikes are accepted (maybe ribbed mercilessly) but I think the club is unique and has done so well because of that.

Perhaps I may feel differently in the future and if change happens that is ok too. :like
ppopeye

I never ride faster than my angel can fly!

2005 Red ST1300
2012 Red GL1800

Bikes I've had
Yamaha 500
Honda450
Honda CL175

Offline Doggie 1

• Pinjarra, W.A.
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 10:10:05 PM »
OK, I'm new here too, so I understand that those who have been here for a long time have more of a say and I fully understand and agree with that, because they have more of a feel for the site and its members.
But having said that, I like the fact that it's ST only (other than members' other bikes) and I think it's exactly that that makes it unique and special.
I could understand if we expanded to include Honda's newer touring models (CTX1300, CTX 700 etc), but not keeping it ST at its core, would, IMHO, dilute the value of the forum.
My two cents worth.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 07:03:25 AM »
I voted to be more open and welcoming if that is even possible, as we already are very accepting of anyone who joins even before we get to know them in person.  As the STs die off through age or accident, the membership could fall and the relevance dissipate.

I've suggested the ST in OzSTOC become Sports Touring/er before with both Streak and Diesel not long after joining, because I know some really nice people who ride other make ST equivalents and I felt the warm and welcoming camaraderie was more about the enthusiasm of a bike that is capable of comfortable distance riding.

We didn't shun Barry when he went changed to a Schwing for a while, and we still have Gaz as a great member who doesn't own an ST and as far as I know never has and probably won't, and of course saaz is still a valuable and very active member despite his move to the Trophy and of course IanB has moved onto a BMW GS800 and Lionel on his VFR.  All nice people who are no less valuable or any less respected because they have chosen to not or no longer ride an ST for their own personal reasons.

As for slagging off.  We still have friendly banter of which colour is best, which model is best etc. (:blu13 of course)  :Stirpot  :p and I think that is commensurate with the Australian ethos. 

I would happily remain a part of the Club when and it will eventually be when I replace my ST with a Yammy or Kwaka or BMW or Schwing or Trophy or Can Am Spyder.
It would be nice to know that there was a maintenance section there for my new bike as well.  It is not as if the Pointy end have to create the write ups as the owners of the specific models do that themselves.  so it won't be a burden on ST owners. 

We also have some members who are Motorcycle Mechanics with a wealth of knowledge so why not tap into that knowledge and experience?

It is not hard to look into the specific group you are after, we already have segregated 1100 and 1300 sections which is just common sense.

More members will also mean more revenue to to keep the website other services running.  It would also mean more members for the RAN (Riders Assistance Network).  It would also mean more ideas for great RTE destinations and roads to ride.  It would also mean more Bed, Shed and Fed opportunities and even more importantly it will mean more friends we haven't met yet.

I think ultimately it will be essential or the Club will die.  If we leave it until the decline starts, I fear it will be too late.

Surely the real under lying value of the Club is the camaraderie of fellow riders who have a passion for whatever they ride and the roads that get them where they are going.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 07:12:55 AM »
I voted Yes the bottom option as most of my riding is with 6 workmates who ride different styles of bikes from tourers FJR'S to Cruisers ect. But I don't think they are the type to get on a bike forum but enjoy joining me on OzSTOC RTE'S lunch or overnighters

After reading all the other posts and having a good think while working out in the Rose garden. "Stress therapy"
I got to thinking why I joined OzSTOC it was not to talk/chat to other bike riders but to talk to other Honda ST1300 owners
about their bikes, what farkles they have fitted ect. but I just love to go on a RTE to look at other ST's and talk about our bikes
I used to own a Kawasaki GTR1000 many years back, the previous owner told me about GTR-AUS so I logged on and enjoyed
chatting to members about my GTR1000, So when I purchased my ST1300 I went straight to Google and found OzSTOC
As GTR-AUS was run by the late Davo Jones I was introduced to FarRider's but log on occasionally but my main interest
is bike specific. Which lies with OzSTOC and I'm sure for a very long time to come

So like a few before me I would like to change my vote to "No" leave it as it is

OzSTOC has something special with great member's who are full of information and idea's and just wanting to help others
We already allow many other bike types on our forum and welcome them on our RTE's

Just my 2 cents worth 

Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Doggie 1

• Pinjarra, W.A.
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »
I am a member of a car forum (since 2008) and that forum has a "Members Other Motors" section which seems to work quite well.
You don't have to own the particular car to be a member, just have an interest in them, but it is still kept as a dedicated forum to those cars.
We have several members who, for one reason or another, have sold their cars and bought something different and choose to remain as members and they are very welcome to do so.
So while the forum doesn't change from its core function, other models are represented there anyway, if that makes sense.

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »
Ozstoc was a great club when there were a lot less than 100 members. It will still be a great club in 10 years time if the numbers drop back to less than 100 members by that time if less and less people are riding ST's by then. (I doubt thay will happen though). Open it up to all types of sport tourers and it will no longer be Ozstoc. A club like this only has to be useful for those that enjoy it. There is no reason to future proof it in that regard, not in my opion anyway :)
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 01:05:54 AM »
My 2 cents worth.   :grin
Having seen 25 plus year old bikes being bought then the now new 1300s will be around longer than me. If the club was to include other bikes it would need to be the successor CTX but they would also feel a need for a model exclusive club. The attraction of this club is the informal nature without the politics. Other activities such as FarRiders can be enjoyed with the STs and are complimentary. The FarRiders was started from the FJR GTR-AUS club I think by Davo.
The last thing that must not be forgotten is the organizing of events. Even for such an informal club there is a lot of organizing to be done especially with national runs and catering for in excess of 60 bikes.
Who does this organizing I hear you ask?
A few dedicated souls.  :-++ :-++ :-++
So in summary I would like to see and participate in a well run small club than trying to please everyone with some running their own agendas, causing havoc then disappearing leaving a small few to clean the mess.

Long live the ST and I hope my Grandson will drag it out of the shed and restore Gdads old bike so it will live again long after I have gone.
Keep up the good work
Wombat

:wht11
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:30:25 AM by ST2UP »
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
" Lionel, SAAZ and Paul all have other makes ..."
That's true but you should add that Lionel has 2 x ST1100Ps in reserve (1 in bits), Saaz also has 1 x ST1100P, not sure about Paul.

Offline Gatey

• ST Legend
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 10:17:23 AM »
Just a note too make a correction.

Davo Jones was the founder of FarRiders and it grew out of his Kawasaki GTR forum not an FJR forum...

Wombat congratulations on spelling FarRiders correctly too mate.

Thanks Lionel. I've a second bike too which is not an ST...but its not my second bike either. The ST is. But I have an interest in it just the same.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:25:59 AM by Gatey »
Persevere...My Dad did.
FarRider #269..IBA#54983
One of the Barraba Crew

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
I'll second Wombat's view that it doesn't matter if the club shrinks due to there being fewer STs around.  A club of 100 dedicated ST owners (including those who have bought another bike in the mistaken belief there could be a better bike) is far better than a gaggle of 700+ people looking for warmth and acceptance.
More RANS and beds aren't the core of the club, just a working aspect of it.
I like that Abe's son invents a "horn protection farkle" for the ST13 and then mods it for theST11.  Imagine then the potential hundreds of others wanting one for their hit of sheep.  (by the way, has he worked out a Goldwing one yet, Abe?)       :rofl
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Doggie 1

• Pinjarra, W.A.
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 06:52:33 PM »
This thread seems to be developing a trend.  :grin

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
Paul has the 800 BMW, a 1200RT before that, but he used to own Jill's VFR800, so close enough for me   :beer

" Lionel, SAAZ and Paul all have other makes ..."
That's true but you should add that Lionel has 2 x ST1100Ps in reserve (1 in bits), Saaz also has 1 x ST1100P, not sure about Paul.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2015, 07:29:12 PM »
I see no reason to change from a Honda ST specific club to a general touring club, at least not yet.   While many of us are passionate about touring, it is our enthusiasm for the ST that is the cement that binds us together, and not just touring. There are plenty of non-tourring ST owners in our membership.  I strongly support retaining our identity as an Honda ST club and not a general touring club.  Riders of other bikes will always be welcome, so long as they are prepared to mutter "Honda ST Good"  from time to time and acknowledge the club's heritage.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Doggie 1

• Pinjarra, W.A.
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2015, 07:42:32 PM »

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »

I think over time, the Club will continue to grow and change as nature intends, no need to for see and/or force things.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
I have a 1990 ST1100. that's 25 years old now. its got issues to be fixed very shortly but still goes very strongly and should continue for many more years so by the time the last 1300 gets to that age we will be the HISTORICAL OZSTOC. there is many other groups that many of us already belong to that fills that corner of the ring. the way it is now is easier for information gathering and sharing. Honda still has the new model maybe not ST configuration but still same motor. we already have other makes and models anyway so
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:09:43 PM by royst1100 »
regards
           Royce

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
Just reading through the previous posts is very heart-warming and inspiring.

I am continuously nicely surprised by the camaraderie on this forum, and the lack of spiteful, terse jabs that bring other forums down, and reduce member participation levels.
My initial goal to kick start this version of OzSTOC was to find other ST Owners, and get them out on friendly rides together over lunch or  :beer

Wildest expectations have been far surpassed, and the Club has always been a 'fantastic place to be'.

When I first pursued ST Riders and Pillions, their desire for Club Rides with other Marques and other people was being well and truly satiated.

I wanted a place for 'like minded' people to hang out and meet new friends with a common theme of Honda STs. It was also beneficial from a technical advice and farkling ideas point of view too.

Turns out, the nicest people seem to ride STs, as you are all a great bunch of humans.     :thumbsup

I (like many posters before me) would also like to see the main thrust of OzSTOC's Forum remain ST oriented - even as the number of working models decrease through attrition rates. This has been our nucleus and a great source for ST Owners.

ALL people with ALL brands of bikes are welcome - but they can source info for their KawaSuziYammies on the fora and communities set up specifically for those bikes.

It would seem our people have spoken. Thanks everyone for your time and input.     :thumbs

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au