Author Topic: What brand tyres are you running now"  (Read 102243 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
What brand tyres are you running now"
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »
It doesn't matter for this poll whether you pilot an 11 or 13.

Just interested who's getting the bucks from us Sport Touring legends!

If you run different brand F & R then vote on the REAR TYRE ONLY.

(Only one vote per member you sneakies!)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:17:06 PM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
Re: What brand tyres are you running now"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
I just had a set of Avon storms on, but they are not on the bike. Shinko Verge radials are on now, but have not turned on the road as yet.

Previous tyres - Avons Azarros, Storms, Z6s, D205s, BT020s, Continental Roadattacks, Dunlop Roadsmarts.  All on the ST11. I could go back to 1976....
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »
I am currently running Battle Axes, and well after what i got them for out of the US, i am running them again :)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »
Too late to now include a rating, but in order of best mileage/grip combination and including how much they cost (all bought in Australia so far) the best so far have been Avon Storm Ultra 2s (best handling and grip in all conditions, and mileage back up to 13,000kms plus for a set), next best original Avon Azzaros as they had enough grip for same use and the same mileage as the newer Ultras.  All the rest were ok, but 10,000kms max life or less and not as good grip wise overall.

The Shinkos (and they are in ST13 sizes) are the first tyres I have bought from the US. The cost difference to fiting a set in Australia has paid for a few tyre fitting tools :)
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Rodd

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »
I recently fitted the Bridgestone BT023s that I ordered from the US.

The old tyres had worn to a v-shape at the front, so made cornering very interesting to say the least!

The new tyres feel so much more sure-footed and my cornering confidence has improved markedly.

I have read that some people (in the US) have said that they wear too quickly, so I guess that I'll just have to find out.
After fitting them and riding the 5 k's to work I was surprised at how warm the tyres felt (on a cool day). I may be wrong but this suggests to me that they are making a good effort at providing grip. Of course, the bike now corners much more predictably now that the bikes tyres have a rounded cross section rather than the old tyres 'V' cross section!  :)

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »
I ran two sets of Battle Axes in succession and had no complaints - around 10,000k both times and possibly could have done more, but changed so I had a new set for long distance rides each time. Currently running Pirrelli  Angels - very impressed - first ride was 3 days, (2000k) in pouring rain on the way to last year's GP. Now have 8000k on them and looking good for 12,000k. Distance wore the front tyre into a V with the Bridgestones, haven't got that indication with the Pirelli's yet. I think they will be my choice again next time - confidence in a tyre is half the solution.
Wayne Tenni
If this is as good as it gets .... it ain't too bad.

Offline sonicpelican

• Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »
The bike came with the BT020s which I thought performed quite well.  I got around 12,000 Kms before replacing front and rear.  A lot of that was two up riding.

Next was a set of Avon Storms.  Seemed to be going great guns when at around 6,000 Kms the rear delaminated and let go.  I thought I must have sliced it on something on the road so just replaced it with a Dunlop RoadSmart as the Storms weren't available at the shop.  Interestingly, on a ride a few months later, another ST had the same thing happen to a rear Avon Storm with around the same mileage, food for thought.  Anyway, at this stage I was running the Avon Storm on the front and the Dunlop RoadSmart on the rear.

Less that 4,000 Kms later the Dunlop RoadSmart was gone.  It just kept balling up lumps of rubber and disappearing.  I suspect that as I do a lot of two up riding they couldn't take the weight and overheated.  At around the same time it was noticed the Avon Storm on the front was developing lateral cracks.

On went the Michelin Pilot Road 2s, front and rear, just before the tour of Tassie.  These are still going strong after about 6,000 Kms with more than 50% left.  Most notably they performed really well in Tassie in the West where a lot of the windy roads don't get sunlight during the day so the road doesn't dry out in patches.  Over these roads other bikes had trouble keeping up even though I was two up.  I'm not a fast rider, they just instill confidence.  Really like these tyres.

Cheers
Rod.

2006 ST1300P ABS
1982 CX500TCC (Under Pressure)

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
I am running Metzler Z6 interacts, I would like to get PR2s, but want the correct size so the speedo is correct. They wear well and handle ok for my riding.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: cruiza

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
PR2s are available in the right front size for the front (the 110/80 ones) but it seems in Australia they are rare.  The Z6s were hard to come by in the right front size as well last time I asked.  The Z6s are a great tyre in all conditions, they just have average tyre life for me.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
I knew it was something like that, and as I dont want mismatched tyres I will stick with the Z6s I get about 21K out of the front, and 16 from the rear so its not too bad. As for availability, The local STealer does the Cop bikes, so they have a supply
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

rendog

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »
Michellin PR2's all the way.  8)
Highly recommended for the 13s.
Now I just need to get the suspension sorted.  ???

Online OzRider

• Brisbane QLD
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
First set of replacment tyres after i biught the bike was a set of PR2's thought they wer great from day one.

The rear went first after a great run of approx 12k couldnt get PR2's at the time and wnet for (was talked into) a BT023 which wasnt too bad later replaced the front with the same BIG MISTAKE thank god there are not too many corners in the NT the front developed a mind of its own.......never again.

Just fitted a new full set of PR3's its like having an old friend back again felt good straight up, just hope they wear well 3 sets of tyres in just over 18 months is getting difficult to explain to the other half.

Interested on your comment Rendog about the suspension what do you intend doing im currently looking at a set of Sonic springs and gold valves for the front not sure about the rear at this stage.
I don’t wanna a pickle just wanna ride my moto sickle
FarRider # 349     IBA # 47578

rendog

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
Interested on your comment Rendog about the suspension what do you intend doing im currently looking at a set of Sonic springs and gold valves for the front not sure about the rear at this stage.

Hey Oz,
I'm still tossing up between constant and variable rate springs. I fitted a set (4) of variable rate springs from K-MAC to the wife's crumpledoor and raised it 2 inches at the same time. The ride is sooo comfortable, BUT it tends to wallow through high speed corners, pitches a bit under braking (which is a good thing really because it loads the front tyres) and slow turn in has responded well to s set of Michelin XM2's.

The same effect on motorcycle forks can be achieved by leaving an air gap at the top of the forks when filling with oil. Simple physics there - air is compressible, fluid is not. So the inital compression of the air mimics a variable rate spring. The one area forks fall down is setting preload.

When selecting springs a general rule of thumb is the fatter the wire which makes the coil the more comfortable the ride but the more damping required to keep them under control. (Wire diameter). As to various maufacturers, I can't say. Racetech will probably end up getting my money.

Gold valves for sure.  ;)

When I eventually get to the rear shock I will be getting a custom body made 5 to 6mm longer to get more weight over my front end.
Hope that helps a bit with your choice.
Cheers

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:28 PM »
Shinko Verges have been on for 5000kms now, amazing what a single trip up to Eungella and back will do.  As you would expect quite a bit of straight road riding.  Total cost was $260 landed in Australia for a pair in ST13 sizes (120/70 front, 170/60 rear).

The tyres have a stiff carcass and you can feel the road a lot more - on rougher roads this is a bit of a downside, but feedback is good in more sporting situations.

Grip - as much as you would want in the dry, and I unexpectedly tested them in torrential downpours and damp conditions, including in very heavy winds.  Tyres never put a foot wrong the whole 5000kms - Avons are the only other tyres I can say the same.  The tyres don't look like they would be great in the wet, as they look more like slicks with some tread, but they work very well.  Also quite ok in the dirt (thanks Qld roadworks!)

The tyres make the ST11 feel quite responsive to input, very eager to go over through corners.  This could be a good or bad thing, just depends on preferences. With a load on the bike can tend to want to fall into corners quite quickly.  Even with the middle worn more than the sides, still feels smooth for turn in.

Wear - after 5000kms a bit of wear in the middle but not overly so.  I expected far more wear but it does not seem like that much.  A bit of normal riding should round them off a bit.

Overall - I am surprised as I expected there to be some compromises with these tyres.  Performance in the wet just really surprised me - overtaking cars in passing lanes in the pouring rain around an 80kph corner doing 100kph with no problems is not something cheap tyres should be able to do with ease and confidence.  Downside is that they are on the sporting side with stiff carcass and harsher road feel - a bit more give and comfort would be good.

Originally I got these tyres because the saving over the normal brands paid for some tyre changing equipment.  I am now thinking should I just stick with them rather than go the PR2s or the like.  Once I see what ultimate tyre life and performance over the the whole life is like I will see.  If I get to 13,000kms or more, which is the most I have gotten out of tyres on the ST11, the decision will be interesting.  Other ST11 owners I know of have barely gotten this out of PR2s.
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Big Barney

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:13:03 AM »
I ran Dunlop Roadsmarts on my Deauville, transformed the handling and roadholding. When I got the ST1300 last Nov  put a Roadsmart on the front. Just done 20,000K, still a bit of life in it yet, maybe 2-3000! Roadsmart on the rear has done 6000k, No obvious signs of wear yet, Carcass still nice and round with no cupping or flat centre. IMHO fantastic tyre, quiet & easy to trust. Don't know why others don't use them more!

Offline STRay (Roo Killer)

• ST1100 - 1, Roo - 0
  • Perth, W.A.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
 :cuss
Currently running Avon Storm2 Ultra's on my 1100. Never again, rear delaminated after 5,000k. It is being replaced prorata under warranty. I took it back on the 4th and apparantly the replacement has finally arrived in Perth today. :fp

They know I have no other transport and could not ride the bike with the tyre as it was. The after sales service from Avon is appalling to say the least.  :phone Every time I rang the distributors I was fed a load of crap, if they would even talk to me!

No answer to my E-Mail to head office either :well
Ray,

ST1100PT ( now 2 tone red )
ST1300AA - SOLD
GL1800E  Blue
FarRider   #110
IBA           #39079
STOC        #821
Roo Killer Extraordinare

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
PR3 on the rear and a PR2 on the front only because a PR3 wasnt available for the front at the time .
Maybee get them o/s next time but trick is getting them fitted after
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

:blu13

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 12:22:44 AM »
PR2 and PR3 on my 1300. Like them lots. They worked well with all the rain I en counted on last Saturday.
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

rendog

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 08:55:59 AM »
I'm just about to clock up 20,000km's on a set of PR2's.  :thumb
The rear is flat spotted, cupped & noisy, but still has tread left on it.
The front is just starting to cup and has some tread left on it.
These km's were 80% two up and fully loaded on the highways of FNQ.
Gotta love these Michelins  :-++
Two more trips to work & back (about 2000 kms) and I reckon both will be replaced.
More to the point I feel another wet season coming on.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »
The noise is due to the irregular pattern on the normal road contact part of the tyre similar to the noise made by a chunky 4x4 tyre
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »
I could not have put it better.  The leading and trailing edges of the tread on the tyres wear differently the older they get.  Dual compund tyres like the PR2s also tend to wear a bit strangely with the harder middle standing out compared to the softer sides.  I have had the sides of the tyres wear down well before the centre, which is more common for me, just depends on the riding you do.  Excessive cupping in the early life of a tyre usually means either too low a tyre pressure for the riding you do, or the suspension settings are a bit soft so the tyre has do do more of the work in relating to the road.  Fitting tyres not rated for the weight of the bike will also cause problems as the tyres will just flex and wear oddly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:43:37 PM by saaz »
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
We know stuff we does. Some of it even answers the original question :popcorn :popcorn
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
Currently Dunlop Sportmax..........I can only say I've found them excellent. I did have a problem with the original front tyre which wore out on the left hand edge. I had 10,750kls up on the tyre but Dunlop came to the party because of the uneven wear and provided me with a new tyre for $70.00. I currently now have 6750kls on the replacement tyre and it's still looking good. I'm in the process of changing my rear tyre at the moment after 17,450kls. I probably should have changed it sooner but I certainly got the most out of it.
I'm waiting on a new rear Dunlop to arrive from Jake Wilson in the States, but I'm also waiting on a new set of Michelin pilot road 2s to arrive for future use. Althought I've found the Dunlops great in all kinds of weather I'm keen to try the Michelins because of many Forum members recommending them. Freight cost to bring 1 tyre out from the States was going to be $55.00 whereas freight cost for the 3 tyres is only $85.00, which brings the cost per unit down even more!! 

Total cost for the 3 tyres including freight was $497.97
 :wht13
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:45:16 PM by Couch »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline JuST Peter

• Quakers Hill NSW
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »
The  :blu13 is about to get new shoes (PR2's) either today or tomorrow, depending on how busy the bike shop is.
At the moment it has Shinko front & rear, and with the odd tail slide now and then they certainly don't instil confidence when running the twisties, plus the fact I'd never heard of them prior to getting the STeed 5 months ago, which, to me, indicates they aren't in the top 5 or so brands.

I had two sets of Michies on the Hornet and loved 'em to bits. They wore well (18000+), and hung on like Tarzan's Grip.
Ulysses #41044; OzSTOC #14
I love what I ride and ride what I love

Offline Mark

• Mark
  • Woodvale WA
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »
 :law
Well I still have the tyres that were on from the Police auction (I assume)  :wht11

Front and rear both Metzeler Roadtec Z6
Front: 110/80 ZR18 M/C (58W)
Rear:  160/70 ZR17 M/C (73W)

I am fairly happy with them, but haven't have another to compare with on this bike.

On my previous Yamaha, I picked it up with Dunlops on front and rear, and felt that it was not sure footed, even slippy on corners with the Dunlops (don't recall which model tyre it was). When I went to replace both, I went to Bike Tyre City near Perth, and the guy suggested Metzeler's and said they will wear fast, but really grip well. I went with that suggestion and never looked back. So I may well stick with Metzeler when the time comes to replace these  :whistle.

I really want something with a good grip, and not bothered if they need to be replaced more often, my skin and bones are worth more to me, don't fancy getting red arse road rash  :spank for a couple of bucks saving.

So any suggestions which are really the best for holding on to the ground, is a good suggestion. But there appears to be negaitives for the good ones too..  >:()

From the experts so far it is:
Avon Storm Ultra 2s (Though the delamination at 6,000k's is a scary)
Bridgestone BT023s

Though  :think1, being the chicken that I am  :crackup, I will most likely just get the recommended Metzeler set at the time  :thumb, but if they suggest other than Z6 Roadtec, I will replace both at the same time for the matching grip.   |-i
Newbie "An embarrassing and frivolous title"
2001 ST1100P - Y