Author Topic: Clearwater Krista2 new version of Krista  (Read 1964 times)

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
Clearwater Krista2 new version of Krista
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:24:26 PM »

Posted over at Distance Riders Australia (DRA) as well

Let us start of with the Clearwater Erica lights, they are brilliant (sorry for the pun) Lionel has a set and I have seen them in action, very impressive. 

As some of you are aware I am currently using the Krista with 35w HID pencil beam spotties with the Glenda as Daytime Running Lights (DRL's).

With the electronic setup on my bike powering not only the lights above but also when required, the CB radio, GPS, Phone, HID headlights, extra side clearance lights, added brake and rear led blinkers, Sena SR10, charging facilities, IFR camera and video screen and heated gear comprising jacket, gloves, trousers and socks you will not be surprised that I am very aware of the amperage I am able to use.

So when I look at upgrading the lighting system I need to keep all this in mind.  One of the reasons (the other was going back from 6000k to 4300k)  I went from 55w HID back to 35w HID was the amperage difference of 9amps back to 6amps (roughly) a saving of 3amps.  I have been waiting for an improvement in the LED lights to give more distance with a narrower beam.  Well it looks like this may have happened with the new Krista2, a new reflector and narrower beam from 10 degrees to 8 degrees.

So it looks like I can remove the HID spotties and utilise the Krista2 for the extra distance.  I will keep the Krista as it gives a wider beam of light.  Benefits for me include lighter weight of lights, instant light rather than waiting those extra few seconds for the HID to reach full brightness, no extra amperage.  The downside as always is the cost but .......well I do ride at night.

here is a link to a write up in the IronButt magazine written by Tom Austin the IBA Technical Advisor
http://clearwaterlights.com/downloads/IBMag20-p56-60-high.pdf

It does talk about the lights on a BMW using the CanBUS.

Clearwater are releasing another light with 7200lumen.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:11:02 PM by tj189 »
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
Re: Clearwater Krista2 new version of Krista
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
Interesting reading, particularly about the spot and spread. Some Ericas with 8% spot would be rather nice, but the Krista2 stands out as being a great light. I can just imagine the flashes you would get in Australia during the day let alone at night with those lights even dimmed right down.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
Re: Clearwater Krista2 new version of Krista
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »
Yep totally agree John, actually I have never used the Krista during the daylight hours and only have them hooked up to the high beam so I do not even use the dimmer control, the only Clearwaters on during the day are the Glenda DRL and they are even turned right down.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456