Author Topic: D2D Accessories Online  (Read 17389 times)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: D2D Accessories Online
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 08:46:43 PM »
I'm hot on the trail of the light pattern problem.  The dud pattern was coming from the right side, and it appears that I had installed either one or both D2D globes upside down.   With that problem corrected they now show a nice pattern against the wall of the shed, with a good differentiation between high and low beam.  Night testing is still to be done, and I'll take some more photos of the corrected beam pattern like I did before.  With a forecast max of 38 today, and dripping humidity, it's time to vacate the shed.   :H

I've finally got around to photographing the beam patterns with the D2D LED globes installed correctly on my ST1300.  I've done a reasonable amount of night riding with the D2D globes and find them somewhat disappointing.  The LED arrays for Low and High beam work independently and the Lows turn off when the Highs come on.   Have a look at the patterns in the attached photos.   The extended tape measure in the middle of the light field against the carport door is showing the height of the middle of the headlight glass.   In my view there is no decent low-beam cutoff, and with the High Beam set at the elevation that gives the best penetration down the road, the low beams are far too high and I keep getting "flashed" by oncoming traffic.  There is still a high spot on low beam beign thrown to the right.  Overall, the D2D have given me a rather unsatisfactory beam pattern, and I'm going to go back to my Narva H4 +120's which I think give better penetration down the road without upsetting on-coming traffic.    Bugger.....    :fp
I'll take another series of photos with the Narva H4 +120's for comparison.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:38:56 PM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP, Abe, Wild Rose

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »
That's still the problem with LEDs- they cast a "glow" rather than a beam.
Even spending over $1000 a pair for Kristas doesn't give you the beam HIDs gives, but sure punches out a bright "glow".
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »
Thanks Pete, appreciate the time you have spent doing this.  Great information.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456