Author Topic: New for Old Police Bikes  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
New for Old Police Bikes
« on: May 04, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »
Hi Guys,
At the recent Commonwealth Games I was amazed to see 6 reportedly new ST1300's recently purchased by QPS.

These bikes in a very distinctive and unique livery (dark blue) which seemed very out of place in a sea of FJR's.
Interested I asked a senior police officer how QPS had obtained new ST1300's as I was under the impression all production runs had ceased in 2013.
He told me that I was correct however QLD Honda still had a supply of ST1300P's built in late 2012 which they have attempted to sell to QPS on a number of occasions.
QPS up until recently had refused stating that if they were to purchase 5 year old bikes it would bring their fleet currency level down in their monthly statistics. A position, despite heavily discounted prices they were not prepared to accept.

Honda replied that that would not be a problem and had the build plates removed from the bikes and new ones affixed with build dates of 11/2017.

Now correct me if I'm wrong however this doesn't sound very legal or at the least seems very dodgy.  I would still expect that Honda Japan computer inventory associated to the VIN shows completely different dates. It might be OK for QPS however the second and subsequent owners are buying a much older bike than is plated.

What do you think?
A.

I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
Re: New for Old Police Bikes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:23:26 AM »
That sounds dodgy.  Not that I know about such things.

Shiney and I both bought STs from that batch as either brand new or near new, plated 2014.  I was stoked to know that I owned one of the newest-ever ST's but this little stunt sort of kills that little talking point :-(

A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
They certainly are distinctive.
I see them coming through traffic front and rear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:40:01 AM »
Honda Australia stopped importing the 1300 while the bike was still in production. In 2014 Honda UK released the 1300 in blue http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13652&hilit=blue+1300&start=10#p178029 Maybe this where those bikes came from.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:56:32 PM »
As of a few years ago QPS started applying wraps to their bikes rather than applying reflective panels. Whilst the bikes purchased are "Police" specific models in white (99% of the time) the wraps prove a quick and simple process for on selling however at the sacrifice of visual safety at night.
Why they chose a dark blue wrap for the ST1300's I don't know - perhaps they were experimenting as there is a whole design committee that works on the colour schemes. There is also an FJR livery combination in green that I recently spotted. According to a QPS Officer there are at least 5 different colour schemes in current service.
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
At least it says the QPS are still impressed with the bikes, despite their becoming outdated.  It seems we're not the only ones who regard them as worthy of keeping on the road among the 2018 FJ1300s and Beemers.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »
At least it says the QPS are still impressed with the bikes, despite their becoming outdated.  It seems we're not the only ones who regard them as worthy of keeping on the road among the 2018 FJ1300s and Beemers.

Most Officers still say the ST1300 is the best all day bike....

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
I got a ticket north of Mackay, QLD, just a month or so before I returned home to NZ.

The Police Officer who pulled me over for 120 in a 100 zone was in a car but had been a motorbike cop.  We had a great chat about the Police ST1100 bikes which he had ridden and which I was riding, he pointed out that while the speedo was marked in units of 2 km/hr (as opposed to the standard ST1100 speedo marked in units of 5 km/hr) it was not able to be calibrated so the Police still had to fix a calibrated speedo to the dash of the ST1100 and that was why my bike had four screw holes on the dash.

We had a great chat, he pointed out a side road I could take a detour on which was a great ride.  But he still wrote me a ticket which left me on 11 points.  Might have been my response when he said the ST1100 was so nice and stable up to and even beyond 200 km/hr.  I don't think, "Yeah, I know," was the right answer.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

The following users thanked this post: STroppy

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
  I don't think, "Yeah, I know," was the right answer.

I think you may be on to something there Steve.  ++ ++

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
Interesting Steve, my 1100 also has 4 screw holes, so that theory certainly appears correct> My speedo is so accurate though, has calibration stickers under the right lid . Learn some thing new every day..... :wht11
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.