Author Topic: Throttle cable lubrication  (Read 3166 times)

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
Throttle cable lubrication
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
 :bl11
Hi,
I was in the process of installing handlebar risers on my ST1100 and when on full lock the throttle seemed slow to return to idle.  Cables were a bit tight but when I re-aligned the cables I find they could do with a bit of lube.
I've only worked on dirt bike throttles in the past, single cable, and it's not obvious how I detach the cables from tte handlebar end to run some oil down them as this time there are 2 cables.
It seems to me I need to make some slack in the cables to remove them from the throttle and that I might need to remove the air cleaner and housing to do this.   
Am I on the right track?  Any suggestions how to make this job simpler.
Thanks
Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Carrelli

• ST Legend
Re: Throttle cable lubrication
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »
Hi Brad, you are on the right path. The best way to remove the throttle cables at the grip end is to first allow some slack in the cables. This involves first removing the side pockets and air cleaner housing. This will allow access to the throttle cable at the carby. Loosen the lock nuts and wind in the adjuster to allow inner cable slack. You can then remove the inner cable from the throttle "fulcrum" at the 'bars.
Unscrew the the outer cables from the grip housing and this will allow you to lube the inners either with a cable lube tool or you can fabricate a little funnel around the cable using plastercein. Make sure you use the right lube... I have used silicone spray, and also wd40.. both work, but the silicone holds less oil there fore attracts less dirt. With the cables off the grip, now is  your chance to relocate the cables for a little more slack.. or though sometimes, just removing the forward cable retaining clip from the frame helps. I assume you are fitting 1" risers?
Cheers
Bryan

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
Hi Bryan, thanks.  It's good to get advice from someone who has already done something I'm about to do.
The risers I have installed are about 20mm.
I released the adjusters and also had to loosen the bracket the adjusters were mounted on so I could release the cables from the right grip.  The cables were also routed incorrectly in that they were on the left side of the airbox instead of underneath it, the airbox is shaped to allow the cables to easily pass underneath.
The cables have now been well lubricated and I'll re-assemble the bike tomorrow.
My next comfort mod will be to get the seat reshaped.  A local trimmer tells me he has owned 2 ST1100s and currently rides a ST1300 so he should  have an idea how to make an ST1100 more comfortable.  He is a member of Ulysses, Blue Knights and yes I'm going to give him a couple of STOC cards.

Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline Carrelli

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:15:19 AM »
Hi Brad, nice work mate. Yeah , the seat on my st was a bit hard on the thighs due to the forward slope. Never did get it reshaped though :(