Author Topic: Driving an electric car from Sydney to Melbourne / the Downsides of EVs  (Read 6272 times)

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
Is this the sort of thing that could end up happening here in Australia?  :popcorn

https://tinyurl.com/2vawp42f
I think it would be a good idea, a bit like off-peak HWS. Weren't they doing this in south OZ?.

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Unless I'm mistaken you can't rotate tiers on Tesla so that means you can't have a spare. Road side assistance is there for a reason

We're in a transition period from petrol and EV. And once the price becomes competitive you'll find the uptake to EV will be enormous

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
I think it would be a good idea, a bit like off-peak HWS. Weren't they doing this in south OZ?.

To me, if that sort of drastic action is needed now, can you imagine what it will be like when every man and his dog has an EV?  :||||

« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 05:41:09 PM by ruSTynutz »

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Unless I'm mistaken you can't rotate tiers on Tesla so that means you can't have a spare. Road side assistance is there for a reason

I can't imagine why you couldn't...
As long as the tyres are the same size etc there should be no reason why you wouldn't be able to use one.
Yes, I get that most modern tyres are only supposed to be run in one direction but that shouldn't create an issue short term.

Better than hoping there's roadside assist out in the middle of no-where assuming you even have phone service to call them in the first place!

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Spare anxiety, perhaps like range anxiety, is for some only in the mind of the user.  I haven't needed a spare in a car, ute, 4WD (work or private) for many, many years - I can't remember the last time I changed a tyre on the side of the road.   The spare in Helen's 2008 Mazda 6 had never been used in 180,000km.

You're lucky...with rural roads getting worse and worse it's bound to happen sooner or later. We've needed the spare twice on Sue's car.
Once when a sharp edge of a pothole ripped the inside tyre-wall open and another when a tyre developed a bulge...

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
... tiers ...

Predictive text is ready to bite anytime, anyone, anywhere.

...Yes, I get that most modern tyres are only supposed to be run in one direction but that shouldn't create an issue short term ...

Other than, using a directional tyre in the wrong direction will possibly:
  • Result in an unroadworthy vehicle, and leave the driver exposed to a penalty from VicPol (as happened to a mate).
  • Void the vehicle insurance - in the event of a crash and a sharp assessor or VicPol noticing (and perhaps another penalty).

This would be a problem with EV and ICE (with directional tyres).
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline LindsayGT

• Rossmoyne, WA
Mmmmm, perhaps I’ve been lucky on my 250000km on motorcycles since 2009, coz I’ve never had a flat tyre. I suppose I’m lucky coz I also never carried a spare tyre on any of my motorcycles!
1400GTR 2010*
GL1800 2012*
ST1300*
K1600GT*
GL1833

IBA #49250: SS1600k, BB2500k
FarRider #369

Perth-Pt Augusta-Darwin-Pt Hedland-Perth 2011
Around Aus via Highway 1, April 2014
Cape Leeuwin to Cooktown, August 2018
Perth to Tasmania, November 2019

Online Bodø

• Legendary Member
  • Where's My keys
Mmmmm, perhaps I’ve been lucky on my 250000km on motorcycles since 2009, coz I’ve never had a flat tyre. I suppose I’m lucky coz I also never carried a spare tyre on any of my motorcycles!

:rofl

I carry an emergency repair kit.  It's come in handy on three occasions.
Seriemester 2020 🏆 🟧 Kawasaki Versys 1000
Seriemester 2021 🏆 ⬛ Yamaha Xmax 300
Seriemester 2023 🏆 🟥 Honda Goldwing 1800

Offline LindsayGT

• Rossmoyne, WA

:rofl

I carry an emergency repair kit.  It's come in handy on three occasions.

Yes, very wise. I also carried a repair kit and compressor whenever I went out of town.
1400GTR 2010*
GL1800 2012*
ST1300*
K1600GT*
GL1833

IBA #49250: SS1600k, BB2500k
FarRider #369

Perth-Pt Augusta-Darwin-Pt Hedland-Perth 2011
Around Aus via Highway 1, April 2014
Cape Leeuwin to Cooktown, August 2018
Perth to Tasmania, November 2019

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
Other than, using a directional tyre in the wrong direction will possibly:
  • Result in an unroadworthy vehicle, and leave the driver exposed to a penalty from VicPol (as happened to a mate).
  • Void the vehicle insurance - in the event of a crash and a sharp assessor or VicPol noticing (and perhaps another penalty).

This would be a problem with EV and ICE (with directional tyres).

My comment "short term" was meant to mean that you could probably use it to get your vehicle to a tyre service or garage etc to have the damaged tyre repaired or replaced.

Bit of a grey area I guess but I would certainly use one in an emergency.

Did you know it's okay to use a space saver tyre in an emergency yet using different size wheels and tyres on the same axle is actually illegal?

You might also be interested to know that there's actually no mention whatsoever of unidirectional tyres in either the Vicroads Vehicle Standards Information - Roadworthy Requirements info sheet or their Tyre Maintenance & Repair sheet...  :think1

And finally, if running unidirectional tyres in the wrong direction is illegal then surely you'd have to carry 2 spares?  :grin

2005 Honda ST1300A