Author Topic: Tow Bars - Classic Industries  (Read 3760 times)

Offline JC

• Any colour you like, so long as it's black...again
Tow Bars - Classic Industries
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »
 :think1

Does anyone have an ST1300 with a "Classic" towbar fitted?
If so, are there any decent photos of how/where the top brackets are fitted, available here?

:blk13
BDRAA 2014
FarRider #501
Usissies #14718
MRA-T&D #9402

ST1300A - 2011 (new to me in 2014)
CBR1000FS - 1995 (new to me in 2003)
MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso - 2017

Offline Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Re: Tow Bars - Classic Industries
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:34 AM »
:think1
Does anyone have an ST1300 with a "Classic" towbar fitted?
If so, are there any decent photos of how/where the top brackets are fitted, available here?

Can't specifically with the Classic tow hitch, but .....

I purchased a Uni-Go hitch from a member, here's a link to a thread about that: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=4819.0

One of the pics show the top bracket.  This attaches to the bike where the side panniers are mounted, by:
*  Removing the panniers.
*  Removing the pannier backets (loosening four allen head bolts).
*  Positioning the tow hitch bracket.
*  Re-positioning the pannier brackets.
*  Tighting allen head bolts securely (probably worthwhile re-tensioning these after a short ride).
*  Mounting panniers.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline JC

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
Thanks for that.

Their mounting points would seem to avoid the need to cut slots in the inner guard, as is required by the Classic towbars. They probably flex up and down slightly more, due to all the curves and bends, but look OK.

I already have a Classic Towbar, but the instructions on where to cut the slots for the hanger brackets are a bit rough. The instruction sheet has some poor images showing excessively long slots, so I am hoping to get a better idea of just where the slots need to be cut, before I hack into the plastic.

BDRAA 2014
FarRider #501
Usissies #14718
MRA-T&D #9402

Offline garyr

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »
I will try to get some photos on weekend if you can wait its a p*^/k of a job but if I remember rightly you do have to cut a coin slot size slot under the passenger seat I used the brakets to work out where to put slots
Gary

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
..... Their mounting points would seem to avoid the need to cut slots in the inner guard, as is required by the Classic towbars. They probably flex up and down slightly more, due to all the curves and bends, but look OK.

I already have a Classic Towbar, but the instructions on where to cut the slots for the hanger brackets are a bit rough. The instruction sheet has some poor images showing excessively long slots, so I am hoping to get a better idea of just where the slots need to be cut, before I hack into the plastic.

The OzSTOC member (JWM) from whom I purchased my Uni-Go tow hitch, put me on to the guy (in Mudgee) he from he purchased the ST1300 (with tow hitch).  The Mudgee guy said that he'd had a Classic tow hitch but because of flex and sway he ditched the Classic in preference for the Uni-Go.

I had a Classic hitch on the CB1300, it had flex and sway.  The Uni-Go on the ST1300 is much firmer.

Re. the Classic hitch, it was delivered to me faulty (the nut on the left-side upper mounting bracket was welded on to the wrong sdie of the bracket, tightening it may have resulted in it breaking away, rather than tightening against the bracket).  Calls and emails (with pics attached) to Steve K. at Classic went for a long time unanswered.  When I finally spoke to him, his attitude was dismissive and a request for a replacement ignored. 
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline JC

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:25:14 PM »
I will try to get some photos on weekend if you can wait its a p*^/k of a job but if I remember rightly you do have to cut a coin slot size slot under the passenger seat I used the brakets to work out where to put slots
Gary

Hello Gary

Yes, I can definitely wait. I've had the towbar for some time now, and want to cut neat (if possible) slots for the brackets.

We've been towing a Classic Ultralite trailer with the 1995 CBR1000F since 2003. The towbar does flex forward and sideways a bit, but that helps to take the shock out of the trailer movement. There's not much vertical flex, though, as the brackets are straight down from the frame.

Regards
John
BDRAA 2014
FarRider #501
Usissies #14718
MRA-T&D #9402