Author Topic: Help for replacing brake pads  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Help for replacing brake pads
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
Today sees the last of the general maintenance on Ruby before The Trip.

I picked up a pair of rear brake pads- these seem to wear out quicker than the front ones, maybe because there are just two but there are four in the front, and quite likely because I use the rear more, for example, entering corners in the twisties.

The knuckle busting part of the job is getting the pistons back in the caliper to accommodate the new thicker pads.  As a general rele, you won't hurt metal parts if you beat them with wooden tools, whereas metal on metal can do grievous harm.

So I made up these to long wedges.  The big one goes in the piston side to get the first pad in, then it starts pulling the caliper back over the disk from the rear to fit the other pad.  The smaller wedge follows the thick one in to get the final bit of space.

A handy point to note is you can see the pad seating from the opposite side of the bike.
Hence in this pic you can see it hasn't seated high enough.

You can get a similar view for the front ones on the ST1300 because the calipers are slightly staggered.
There are cleaner jobs, but few with as good an access.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Help for replacing brake pads
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:20:57 PM »
It doesn't seem that hard to do the rear on my 1100 but being an ABS model I have to replace all the pads at the same time

Though the first time I did the pads myself I didn't know it could done with the calliper in place but soon learnt when I did the front.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Help for replacing brake pads
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
I always clean around the pistons before pushing them back in to avoid grit damaging the brake seals.  A G clamp, or more lately a piston compression tool from Supercheap, makes the job easy (just use one of the old brake pads to push on).  Just remember to watch the fluid level in the master cylinder!
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others