Author Topic: Fuel Filter replacement  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Fuel Filter replacement
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »
After 87,000 kays, I figured Ruby deserved a new fuel filter to drink her juice through.

Abe helped with the required parts list:
16900-MBG-013 16900-MBG-013 FILTER, FUEL   $37.91
17574-MN5-000 17574-MN5-000 GASKET, BASE   $5.28
90428-PD6-003 90428-PD6-003 WASHER (12MM) x2 = $4.98

Those prices are from Powersports Plus in USA.  Shipping was $39 (weight was about 100g), all US$
It took about 3 weeks for the parts to arrive.

Pages 5-55 and 5-58 in the Manual are very helpful.

To do: remove the seat, remove the seat mounting bracket (will require pulling the bolt that holds the rear of the tank).  When I've had this bracket out before I found the bolts were under considerable tension due to the angle of the frame.  The LH side has small slots that help, but I also drilled the RH holes out 1mm larger which made reassembly very much easier.

Remove the vent hose. Disconnect the power line (a tight clip on the LH side- requires the centre of the clip to be depressed to release). Undo the banjo bolt- 8mm Allen key.  Now it looks like this:

Undo the six nuts, noting the two dome nuts' location.
Lifting the unit off the tank is inhibited by the very heavy cable on the LH frame.  I undid the tie to help move it, but it's very uncooperative.  Using a screw driver as lever helps get it clear and the whole unit lifts out.  You've seen a dirty one (Hammer's).  Here's a normal one:

The pump draws its fuel through a type of steel wool, so in effect it's double filtered:

This sits right in the bottom of the front of the bottom tank.  Got that?   :grin
I inspected there and found a tiny amount of debris, half of which attached to a magnet stick I offered it.

Undo the clamp screw on the filter and bend the arms away.  Slide the hose clamps to the centre of the two short hoses and pull the filter away from the pump and outlet pipe.  The very best of British with that!!  Using wide screw drivers as levers helps.

Put the new filter in, slide the clips back to the ends and tighten the clamp.
Remove the old gasket and install the new one.  It's fool-proof as well as fuel-proof.  The dimples will not let you go wrong.  Slide the unit back in, negotiating that cable carefully.  Put the 6 nuts on finger tight.  Page 5-55 shows the correct tightening sequence- basically work to the opposites.  The required torque is very low- 108 in/lb, which is at the bottom of its scale on my wrench.  The banjo coupling takes two special 12mm aluminium washers that have to be replaced every time the bolt is undone.  The torque value on the bolt is 192 in/lb.  The tricky part is having an 8mm Allen key that will fit your torque wrench.  My  hammer/nut breaker has 8mm bits that I was able to drive with a suitable socket to fit the 3/8" torque wrench.
Reconnect the vent hose and power line and reinstall the seat bracket and seat.

I cut open the filter.  Inside the $38 steel case it's just a $3 paper filter.  There were no visible solids, but what I expect would be a pale coloured paper was a very dark brown, so I think it was ready for replacement.

Edited for typo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:38:37 PM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Fuel Filter replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:16:50 AM »
There you go Shiney.....just as we discussed this arvo   ;-*

Thanks Biggles  :-++
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:18:14 AM »
Thanks for that Biggles.

3 weeks is good, but freight costs  :well

If you still have the cut opened filter, just leave it to dry out for a couple of days and then see what colour the paper filter is, and you may then see any contaminates.

At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:56:34 AM »
And be subtle when torquing the castle nuts the repair of same can be, shall we say arduous.......don't ask me how I know  :whistle

:beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:38:47 AM »
And be subtle when torquing the castle nuts

You mean "dome" nuts.  There's no castle nuts in mine (they're the ones with little turrets for split-pinning).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
Sir you are absolutely correct.....mine has an orphan s/s hex bolt aswell  ;-*
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
Awesome guide Biggles :thumbs :-++ :-++
As ST2Up said, he was only just telling me how to do this, so perfect timing :thumbsup
Thanks for sharing :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »
An update and advice is due.

I was wondering why there was significant seepage from the new bottom tank "packing base" (aka fancy expensive gasket).  I had to wait until a new one arrived to open her up again.  I'd trapped the fuel pump wire under it.   :||||  It's what happens when you arm an amateur with tools.

It's easy to do because there is a big loop of cable.  I tucked it carefully into the works this time to keep it away from the edge.

Another handy hint:  the little locating pins on the gasket have tiny doughnut bulges which hold the gasket to the plate when you are holding it bottom down.  It's easiest to pull the little pins through with pliers until the "doughnut" is on top.  Then it's simple to lower into position.

There is an odd thing about the Manual's instructions regarding the tightening sequence.  Just like your car wheel nuts, these should be tightened by alternating opposites.  Their numbering does this until they get to 5, when they say to nip up the adjacent nut.  To be consistent, it should be the opposite nut, numbered 6 in the diagram.  I can see no reason to follow their sequence at the end when they start out logically.