Author Topic: St1300 2004 110,000LKM how worried should I be about rthe ECM faulting  (Read 254 times)

Offline ArthurG59

• ST Legend
 :dred11 :candystwheelie

Hi everyone, newbie here from Hamilton New Zealand. I bought a high KLM 2004 ST1300 a few months back ( I have always wanted one) as 'cheap' 2 up tourer for a planned expedition to the SouthIsland with my wife. we we completed the tour - mostly in pouring rain and high winds. the bike perfomed flawlessly.

As I am fussy (annal rententive) i have been over this bike top to toe, and spent way too much getting it fully maintained, even upgrading the suspension and having the valves checked etc. Hot tip never buy a ''well maintained bike'' sight unseen over the phone after 2 x beers.

But I am getting a bit freaked out by the reports of the dreaded F25.26 ECM fault codes, and the diffculty of replacing the ECM now as few-none available.

Should I keep the bike and ride it ? or move it on and look for a lower Klm post 2008 ?
after 110000 KLM and the bike running well is it unlikley to fault now?
I am considering spending more on getting the paint work tidied up and maybe some Delkavic exhausts - but maybe dumb to invest more if The dreaded F1 fault appears.

Thanks for accepting me and Id like to find some NZ ST enthusiasts too if there are any on here?

Arthur
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 07:49:17 AM by ArthurG59 »

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
My 2003 st1300 faulted on a relatively short ride a few years back, Ididnt take note of the kms but I'm guessing around 130-140,000 k's. I then got hold of a replacement ECU and that faulted about 5-10,000km later.
I suspect the problem is caused by the knock sensors failing and damaging the ECU, but I dont think anyone really knows for sure.
I just live with it now, as it only activates when the revs are held over 4000 for a few 10's of seconds which at highway speeds is about 115km/hr.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Arthur.
The STs are one of those bikes that usually go for ever. If you are having no errors now then get on the bike and ride, and enjoy it.. Worrying about the possibility of a fault occurring is like wondering if you are going to run off the road at the next corner..

Get on the bike and have fun..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff