Author Topic: new road safety device  (Read 4542 times)

Offline pault

• ST
new road safety device
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
came up on a car hogging the fast lane, was only there for 20 sec and a little dog jumps up on the parcel shelf and starts going off. Driver took 3 sec. to change lanes with a hand appearing and waving me by. never had someone move over so quick, usually takes 5 min+

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: new road safety device
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »
came up on a car hogging the fast lane, was only there for 20 sec and a little dog jumps up on the parcel shelf and starts going off. Driver took 3 sec. to change lanes with a hand appearing and waving me by. never had someone move over so quick, usually takes 5 min+

by which time I've passed him in the left lane and given him "the look".
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

terrydj

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
Hmmm coming home in peak hour traffic from Brizvegas to the Gold Coast, when I comes upon 2/3 members of a mature aged motorcycle club doing maybe 80/85 in the right lane of 4 on their hamburgers with the lot. Maybe they each had a little dog in the Top Box going off alongside the heaps of people passing them doing the same :think1

Kinda think it may be illegal going slow in the right lane????????

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:02:45 PM »
Hmmm coming home in peak hour traffic from Brizvegas to the Gold Coast, when I comes upon 2/3 members of a mature aged motorcycle club doing maybe 80/85 in the right lane of 4 on their hamburgers with the lot. Maybe they each had a little dog in the Top Box going off alongside the heaps of people passing them doing the same :think1

I think it's more inconsiderate than maybe illegal and I think it depends on which sign is used on the road.

From Australian Road Rules.

130—Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if:

(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver
is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or

(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the
driver is driving.

So there's no actual legal requirement in an 80kph zone unless the "keep left unless overtaking" sign is posted

I stay in left lane anyway unless the traffic  is heavy enough for two lanes or I'm doing a right turn.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
In Qld if it's multi-lane and 90 kph or more, you can be booked for being in the RH lane while not overtaking.

"There is a general requirement to keep to the left on multi lane roads where the speed limit is more than 80 km/h
(i.e. 90 km/h or more).  "

$60 and 2 demerit points.  (Section 130 of Road Rules)

90% of drivers are good.  5% are fair.  Then there's the drongos...
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

terrydj

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:57:40 PM »
Myself and another rider were booked at midday, mid week, on the highway outside Gladstone for being in an overtaking lane when not overtaking with zero traffic. When being booked it took 10 minutes for the first car to pass us????
Ahhhh but that's what happens when theirs a cop trying to impress his female cop companion.
Cost us $35 dollars each

Offline hobs

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »
 :-((( Riding home from Church last Sunday morning (yeh, I am mates with the big guy upstairs, and a Sports Chaplain) when a hooney car, you know the ones, big wheels, no suspension, flashy paint, mirrowed windows, exhaust the size of Sydney harbour tunnel went to cross over into my lane, and when he saw me there (when he finally looked) he panicked and swerved violently back into his lane. He didn't come near me and I was ready for evasive action anyway. I rode up along side him and waved my finger at him as I rode past. He looks so sheepish and slunk down in his seat. Gee, it made my day. I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the trip. He never passed me at all when we were still on the same road. Just stayed a little back in the slow lane and let others pass him. :-(((  :grin

Offline Shaun

• Professor
  • Ride and Teach
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
I wonder if you could make a road safety argument here. Usually the left hand lane is in a much poorer state than the right hand lane. An argument could be made, particularly if there is no other traffic being hindered, that you are exercising a safer option by riding in a lane with better grip and purchase.

I imagine it would be an argument that a magistrate would accept, even if the attending police officer doesn't.
:bl11 Blue 2001 ST1100 ABS Pan European (RIPieces) :(
New STeed: 2006 6th Gen VFR800Fi Sports Tourer

Offline Down Under

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 04:34:46 PM »

I think it's more inconsiderate than maybe illegal and I think it depends on which sign is used on the road.

From Australian Road Rules.

130—Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if:

(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver
is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or

(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the
driver is driving.

So there's no actual legal requirement in an 80kph zone unless the "keep left unless overtaking" sign is posted

I stay in left lane anyway unless the traffic  is heavy enough for two lanes or I'm doing a right turn.

In NSW, where the ARR's apply your are required to keep left in a multi-lane road in any speed zone of 80 KPH or above, regardless if it is or isn't sign posted with the "Keep Left Unless Overtaking Sign."  I think you may have misread the rule.  :wink1

Cheers,

Tony

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »
I don't know but it's there in the rules  as in (a) "over 80kph" that's how it's worded. So no requirement legally at 80kph or under unless the sign in (b) is appiled.

The question was asked and then researched before answering.

Our SA state rules are same as national one below.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L00240/Html/Text#param169

Schedule 1
Part 11
Divison 2
Rule 130

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
 :bl11

For (b) to apply as well as (a) the word "and" would need to be in the description of the offence at the and of (a), not or.

Or implies either requirement, and implies both.
Strange sort of grammar isn't it.
Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!