Author Topic: expressway running  (Read 3022 times)

Offline pault

• ST
expressway running
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:14:19 PM »
I do a lot of expressway night running, something happening more and more is I will catch someone doing 5k or more less than me and when passed they will speed up and either pass me or sit on my tail. Passing is fine as long as they keep going, but all to often they sit behind, sometimes on high beam all the way. This gets tiring, having to keep checking mirrors as to where they are. Even over a 30min period I feel a bit more tired after a 10 hr day at work and then having to put up with this on the run home. I cannot afford not to know where the dickhead is. I have on occasion sped up for a while and left the idiot behind only to find it has caught up and sitting behind yet again. I repeat, this get tiring and anyone going for a fariders thing would find this behaviour would take away from their overall fitnes to do the k's safely.
On a lighter note, tonite in Bangalow a milk truck moved over, gave me both blinkers to pass him, a big wave and I was away. That has not happenend in a while.

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
Re: expressway running
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
It's certainly bizarre behavior... Perhaps they just like to draft in behind the ST?

I think it's often subconscious and that they don't realize what they're doing - kind of in a trance - making it even more dangerous.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:45:32 PM by Rob »
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
Hi guys,
I know what ya sayin as I get that all the time.
9 times outa 10 its the paparazzi........I've learnt to live with it.
Now I've got the schWING its intensified... But hey whats a legend to do...
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
Paint your ST white with Blue trim, guaranteed they wont come anywhere near you..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
A very good point Paul. There is no doubt about what you say with regards to the extra concentration required to 'monitor' dickheads - drains your mental alertness five fold compared to riding alone.

Kudos to you for realizing this and not letting it take away from your priorities. I for one KNOW that a tailgater takes away 90% of your evasive options in an emergency situation!

Mathematics suggest that if you slowed to match their 95 km/h and sat BEHIND them for a whole hour - you'd arrive home only 3mins and 10sec later than 100km/h - but with ALL THAT ANXIETY removed!

Thanks for the great post Paul. Hope to see you at Inverell.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »
Good comment Diesel and that's got the issue sorted.
Keep the other driver in front and you are the one controlling the situation.
If they're behind you not only does it take up your energy watching them but it diverts a lot of your attention from whats going on up ahead.
If the other driver's travelling at the same speed simply let them pass and then follow at a safe distance.
If the both of you are on the same road travelling at the same speed why do you have to be in front?
It's not uncommon for a driver (usually a younger driver) to appear behind me quite quickly when I'm on the bike and it's gotta be annoying to them when I get them to pass and then I follow them.
Most car drivers think that if they can keep up with a bike they are driving pretty well because they don't understand that bikes aren't faster around corners than cars.  We beat em in a straight line but rarely in corners.

Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

terrydj

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 07:19:18 AM »
I like the millions of fools that speed up and pass you and then slow down to a lesser speed than you were doing, or the Doof Doof idiot in the Subaru WRX or the Skyline who spends his day continually changing lanes, speeding up, slowing down to get a 100 meters in front of you

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 07:29:45 AM »
I like the millions of fools that speed up and pass you and then slow down to a lesser speed than you were doing, or the Doof Doof idiot in the Subaru WRX or the Skyline who spends his day continually changing lanes, speeding up, slowing down to get a 100 meters in front of you

agreed, even commuting here in Toowoomba, i would rather let them get ahead of me, as you always get that feeling that your just riding your bike, and and the spinny rimmed, cap backwards car beside is competing with you....i just slow down and watch them try to run that red light, and smile and laugh a little....as more often than not, we get there at about the same time anyway.

"The Journey is not about how fast you get there, it is making sure you enjoyed getting there"
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 08:27:29 AM »
The people I'd like to psycho-analyse are the ones that are following behind you as you have to 'form one lane', and at the last second they pull a ridiculous overtake manouvre to be in front of you as they brain tells them (in Homer Simpson voice).. MUST-BE-IN-FRONT!      :o

Another fav is the poor bastard who find out 2 mins after leaving home for work, that they have to make a total ass of themselves in traffic through manouvres like Terry said above - or (this is a classic) - finally blowing by you (after tailgating) to speed right up to next next car and tailgate them!        :-(((

I feel sorry for them that they can't get out the door 5 mins earlier and enjoy a nice, relaxed drive to work, listening to classical music, and arriving fresh and happy - instead of ranting and frustrated!          :cuss
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I'd like to hold it in my arms
And keep it company

I'd like to see the world for once
All standing hand in hand
And hear them echo through the hills
For peace throughout the land.

:rofl

New Seekers - I'd Like ToTeach The World To Sing
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:14 AM »
All too true.  I used to ride a little GPX250 back in the 90s, had a decade off, and started this one on the ST. I'm now 20 years older than I was when I first got on the saddle.

Perhaps the most significant change to my recent driving habbits have been the addition of kids (it seemed my wife wasn't so important back in 1990  :rofl ).  Now, having "grown up" I continually ask myself two questions....

- What good can come of it?
- Is it worth it?

Our ability to ride the bike for longer between "incidents" is, in my opinion, always down to the decisions we take on a ride - whether directly with our own behaviour (speeding, lane splitting, fatigued, etc.) or in response to the environment around us.... not by the behaviour of others.

Unfortunately, we have to accept that a) there will always be others who have bad driving skills & habbits, b) our skills typically match theirs (we're not perfect either), and c) we will never win an argument in an accident.

Most workplaces these day are filled with all sorts of HSE standards, policies, and procedures... all resulting from a risk-benefit analysis. We need to do the same on the bike (apply the same thinking - not carry the manuals  :grin ).

R.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:37:57 AM by Rob »
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
Then there's the idiot that passes you in the right lane, goes into left lane, brakes causing you to brake and then turns left in front of you. When you check your mirror there's no traffic behind you for half a km. .....

I love this one..........not. 

Your in left lane. Car in right lane beside you. You wish to make a RH turn a little further along the road. You slow so you can go into the gap behind the car next to you. So what happens? Car beside you slows as well, just because you are causing the gap you wanted to go into close up. The more you slow down, so does the car beside you and in the end, to get into the right lane you speed up to get in front of the car you wanted to go behind.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 05:36:33 AM »
Desiel suggests  i slow and arrive home 3min later that's at least half a stubbie