Author Topic: Securing your bike & belongings when unattended  (Read 3384 times)

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
Securing your bike & belongings when unattended
« on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »
Hiya,

I've never had to carry anything on the bike so far that didn't fit in the top case or panniers. However, in planning my first tour, I'm concerned about "losing" the stuff that gets strapped to the pillion.

Do the OzSToc population thinks it's not worth worrying about. Have you ever had anything nicked from your bike?

Do you lock the gear to the seat somehow (chain/cord, padlock, etc.)? How & with what?

Do you do something similar with the helmet and boots?

R.
 :blk13
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Securing your bike & belongings when unattended
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »
Here's my cheet alarm system......when I have stopped for the night and put the full bike cover on the bike I put a red flashing push bike rear light that runs for days on a AA battery on the dash flashing away under the cover....can see it from 10 meters away flashing under the cover, seams to work as a deterant.

Cheers
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:30:24 PM »
That's a great idea st2up :thumbs :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »
Definitely can't be too careful.  I've heard of helmets nicked off bikes when the owner was in the Servo paying for the petrol.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

terrydj

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »
Definitely can't be too careful.  I've heard of helmets nicked off bikes when the owner was in the Servo paying for the petrol.

That's why you have a decent helmet lock. Been on 3 different bikes so far. Yeah you can put your helmet in you top box or maybe a pannier?? but what happens when they are full???

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

That's why you have a decent helmet lock. Been on 3 different bikes so far. Yeah you can put your helmet in you top box or maybe a pannier?? but what happens when they are full???

you take the helmet into the Servo under your arm, of course!

I'm a bit wary of helmet locks if the bike is left unattended for a long time, since lowlife can cut the strap with their switchblade and walk off with your helmet to repair later.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
you take the helmet into the Servo under your arm, of course!

I'm a bit wary of helmet locks if the bike is left unattended for a long time, since lowlife can cut the strap with their switchblade and walk off with your helmet to repair later.
Too true. I have a friend that returned to his bike to find some scumbag had urinated in the helmet. Luckily, he discovered it before he put it on. He pulled out all of the removable bits, washed thoroughly, and then let it dry. I guess it could have been "worse" (ie. # 2).

This is where my concern was raised - it's a case of knowing where to draw the line. It depends on a) where you are, b) who else is around, c) how long you're away from the bike, and d) how much work you're prepared to put in to secure it.

d) is a function of a), b), and c).
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »
On the 1100 I haven't had an issue with theft or anything. Not even with leaving helmet on the bike or trailer (if I have it) when fueling up.

If we're out for a ride and decide to call into the supermarket on the way home we'll take our helmets with us. If it's warm to hot we'll use a trolley and put jackets etc in that.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

terrydj

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »
Never had any trouble with leaving me helmet on the bike secured in near 40 years. Don't care if they steal my stuff cause its all insured??????? Suppose those that are afraid about stuff being knocked off ought to take their stuff off their bike like their???? GPS, Phone, SPOT, UHF and Intercom????????
Now if I was a thief on Sunday at that pub?? I'd be a pretty hated man me thinks
Always park my bike next to something worth stealing :thumb

Offline Nh478m

• NH478M
  • Farkled to death - well it was!
    • My '13
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
When we go walkabout from the bike for a while we use a couple of helmet weatherproofing bags that have sealed ways in and out for a security cable that goes through the chin bar of the Evolines. The cable is then locked around the pillion grab handles. The helmet bags either hang below the topbox on their own straps or they sit on the seat if that's preferred.

Trousers, gloves and boots go into the panniers and jackets are again cable locked to the grab bars with the cable through one sleeve of each. Another locking cable can be used if necessary because the boxes are already full, to secure the trousers through one leg each. It aint perty, but it works!

On the original bike I put a couple of stainless steel hoops below the topbpx rack but this arrangement on the new bike is easier.

Nothing has gone missing so far but we have got back to find people being overly nosey about the bike!

PJ
PJ

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »
Rob.   When touring I'll usually have an "Andy Strapz"  "Stuff Sakz", containing my sleeping mat and sleeping bag, strapped across the back seat and held in place with a couple of click buckles.   I've never had anyone interfere with my bike or my gear.   Helmets are different matter, as they can be worth big quids, and are easily nicked.   Use a lockable cable loop to secure it to a suitable spot on the bike when you leave the bike.  However, I wouldn't bother when going into a servo when refueling.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

atoyot

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
Hi,

A mate of mine has one of these, and he swears by it.

http://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail/pacsafe-lidsafe-anti-theft-helmet-bag-black-ph000/

regards

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:07:11 PM by atoyot »