Author Topic: Tech Talk  (Read 6022 times)

terrydj

Re: Tech Talk
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
Hmmmmm now if I was a Tech head and knew things that others didn't I could probably help????? But being not a tech head and with nothing clever to tell you that Tech heads could break down in to a zillion little parts and seem important I'll just?????

Ahhhh tell you the same thing happened to me and I sorted it out by giving the Tech heads at Uniden a ring.
Boy I wish I was clever :rofl :crackup

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
We cant all be clever Terry..

Some of us are Smart, some are Arses, and the rest are Smart Arses :grin :grin :grin
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

terrydj

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
Ahhhhh but their really are some clever people here soooooooo
What I am after is a digital notepad. Something i can write notes on and then download into a desktop or one of my Laptops.
Ahhhhh not too big maybe the size that will fit easily into the front pockets of Cargo pants. Need it to be digital(Computer based) so I don't lose it, can put it on USB's and remote hard drives and external online storage

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
Mate,
If you have an iPad there is an app called PhatPad which, for the princely sum of about $5 does handwriting recognition, so it will recognise what you scrawl on the screen, then allow you to turn it into text and even email it to yourself, or put in Dropbox, or CloudOn. The recognition gets better and quicker the more you use it, and it allows you to write anywhere on the screen. I am told, although I haven't tried it, that it will even recognise shorthand for those who know how to do it.
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

terrydj

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
Hate that IPAD Crap. It all just works and that's all it does Really good for the trendies but if you really want something that works in the Tablet form their is none better than this.
Happen to have met the bloke that invented it the other night when waiting for a flight to Brisbane and he owns the company.
Its called the Evolve Three

Link:
Evolve III PC - tripleboot tablet

Its a zillion times more powerful than that Apple Junk, runs Windows 7/8, has USB's and comes with a Keyboard that I think is the cover?. Warrick (The bloke in the Video, the Executive Director of Evolve 3 and Director of Product Development) was on his way to China to meet with the former Production boss of APPLE.

Happen to have picked myself up a bit of gear that uses a normal notepad, that you can scribble on and its attached to a hardback that hooks up to a PDA, and comes in an indestructible folder./ Just rip the pages out and pass em on or photocopy em straight away, just perfect for what I do. Not a trendy bit of gear to impress just something that works

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
Terry,
You asked a question without any preconditions on what the answer might be, and I attempted to help by answering it with a possible solution. If you don't like Apple stuff then maybe you should have said so and I wouldn't have bothered.
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

terrydj

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
My apologizes.
Its not that I don't like APPLE stuff its just that basically the Apple community says that Microsoft dictates, but in truth a Microsoft product can talk to anything and accepts most programs but Apple only takes Apple software and they dictate.
Also when at Uni all Library services are set up for Microsoft and APPLE will not work with the system.
I am aware that their is a program that allows you to use a Digi pen on an IPAD but the programs that work are worth heaps and in the environment I work in, electronics have to be able to talk to Microsoft and everyone I communicate with uses Microsoft.
Also IPAD's don't have a USB port so the transferring of information takes forever instead of instantly via the use of a USB.
So Its not that I don't like APPLE products its just that I need stuff that works, and works in any environment and APPLE products only work in a specific environment, and for me are useless.
Currently I have a 24" widescreen desktop. a 17' Aleinware Laptop (Probably the most powerful Laptop available) and definitely the best Gaming Laptop available, an 11" HP Laptop that travels with me, a Handspring Visor Deluxe PDA, USB Watch, and the Smart phone so I have a bit of an understanding about some Geek stuff but I do need stuff that works and works in any environment. And APPLE dosn't

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
Currently I have a 24" widescreen desktop. a 17' Aleinware Laptop (Probably the most powerful Laptop available) and definitely the best Gaming Laptop available, an 11" HP Laptop that travels with me, a Handspring Visor Deluxe PDA, USB Watch, and the Smart phone so I have a bit of an understanding about some Geek stuff but I do need stuff that works and works in any environment. And APPLE dosn't

Terry...do I detect a gamer in there somewhere?
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

terrydj

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
Not a Gamer but would like to have a go. The Alienware I take away on those FIFO (Fly in Fly Out) deals. I have it linked with an external WIFI unit so I can have a chat on Skype to my lady. Just works heaps better than my smaller laptop, when I'm in the middle of no where.
No more of that FIFO rubbish cause I have just landed a job that keeps me at home.
Funny thing is it pays about a quarter of what I normally get on the FIFO and I'm a zillion times happier, so I'm staying home forever.

I really would like to have ago at the gaming stuff, but I do sometimes play Chess and I have Bejewelled 3 which is good :thumb
Would love to have a crack at that Chess where the pieces actually fight each other, but am still looking for it

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »
I rang a uniden guy and he said my UHF is toast .... Damn
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

terrydj

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »
Yeap told me the same when I had the same problem with my hand held, but they replaced it under warranty

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 08:01:18 PM »
I've had my model for a few years so it's in the cupboard till they find a cure. So now what do get for a UHF handheld or cb...
I jus wanna ride my bike

terrydj

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
Personally I reckon the hand held is the go for just talking to another rider. I read here that their are repeater things and such but if you can make a phone call while on the go a simple hand held for me is the go. As to it having to be waterproof, well I just take mine out of the bracket and put it in my pocket when it rains, or slip a sandwich bag over it :thumb
Oh yeah and the Batteries last forever as I only turn mine on when I use it.

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »
The wing has a plug in n play 27 MHz available but not UHF and from what I've read it's a drama to put together . All this wing gear and I've been told to just use the starcom system aaaarrgh!!
I jus wanna ride my bike

terrydj

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
Seen a hell of a lot of Autocom stuff on Wings over the years

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 07:23:55 AM »
Brian
UH-044 and a few others have a "fault" that does that, its in the 2nd IF filter. I have repaired a few over th years its a simple unsolder a point on the filter, post it over and I should be able to sort it for you.

As for the 'wing - UHF , IF you already have headsets a StarCom1 Goldwing Enhancement will add in your UHF. If you dpnt have 'wing headsets yet THEN forget teh onboard system except for music/GPS input and ru a StarCom1 (or other brand) intercom that can add all the voices to your head better than the 'wing can  :crackup

OH and by the way I have he "10" people printed up on the workshop wall  :wink1 , it does get some p[eople scratching their heads  :think1
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:26:05 AM by DaleMcLean »
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 06:48:33 PM »
Hi Dale, thank you for your reply , I will post it to you next week and yes I have already got the honda headsets ( Allan from Redlands Ulysses had a couple of sets) so I will also grab the enhancement off you as well . Just let me know the how much and how you'd like to be paid (direct debit etc.)
Cheers ORSM.
I jus wanna ride my bike