Author Topic: Brakes. Front & Rear braking feel wooden,  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Sidecardon

• ST Legend
Brakes. Front & Rear braking feel wooden,
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »
 :-[. Breaks. Feel wooden, carnt pull in or press down   :crazy.  Honda ST1100 2000 model AU Have taken outfit to Honda Workshop, they
Y hooked up there computer to the bike cleared over 300 + Faults ??   They Rode bike while I was there , was back in under 10 mins couldn't stop first roundabout He was white. Lol. So back to the computer. 4 codes suggestered that e replace the front wheel speed sensor. $249.00.  Ok left bike with them. They fitted new sensor road test,  no difference not stopping machanic reconnected computer ,  same codes   Told me that the ABS Modulater could be faulty. So ordered new one $2,800.   F...ck  So. Left bike with them Three weeks later modulated fitted,  test rode still not fixed wooden brakes still there after about five or six stops machanic doesn't  know what to do. Put bike back to normal braking.  No ABS or TCC ,  Have bike back riding small distances. So far so good. Brakes as normal.  So now there telling me the bike needs a  main computer.  $2,800. Fitted Moore money. May fix it may not.  Wtf.   So. Any ideas fellas.
GTR 1986 Solo Gave it away,  ,KLR 650, Bush Basher, GTR 1995 HRD Grand Rally 1.1\2., Sold      GTR 1986 Trike Sold,  Honda ST1100 2000 Greenlands Double Sidecar.  Currant.           I Do it on Three Wheels, 😜

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Brakes. Front & Rear braking feel wooden,
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »
I'm guessing here, but I presume your bike has ABS.

Have the brakes been bled properly ( There is a special sequence to do this properly), have they been taken apart and cleaned out, have the master cylinders been cleaned

Bleed sequence.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-123865.html
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
It sounds ABS proportioning valve to my humble knowledge  :think1

Whether it be car or bike there is somthing refreshing about finding a mechanic who is a problem solver and a true repairer and not just a parts changer until they inadvertently fix the problem and you pay for the bits until they do  :H

Good luck with it Don, I'm sure the answer will reveal its self here.

:beer

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Sidecardon

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:56:49 PM »
Cheers yes first thing I did was pull off front brake calipers clean all parts pistons out all good front & rear new disc pads , flushed brakes bleed in sequence bye the book. Master cylinders cleAned flush got rid of all the crud in the front one wasn't pretty .  Brakes at the time felt great, I rode up to Taree. O/n  back the next day that was the first time 110 Klm hour off the freeway applied the brakes couldn't move either brakes. Pucker time luckily made it around the off ramp used the gears and rolled to the next intersection and every thing went back to normal, except my hart & but. Lol. So you now where I'm at .   So keep your ideas coming we might touch  on something that hasn't been covered..          ABS Proportioning valve will check it out cheers. St2up.
GTR 1986 Solo Gave it away,  ,KLR 650, Bush Basher, GTR 1995 HRD Grand Rally 1.1\2., Sold      GTR 1986 Trike Sold,  Honda ST1100 2000 Greenlands Double Sidecar.  Currant.           I Do it on Three Wheels, 😜

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
Honda ST1100 2000 Greenlands Double Sidecar.  Currant.   

Is the chair wheel braked?

Offline Sidecardon

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »
Yes but hand brake Only. Not plumped in to Hydrolics system. Greencan.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 05:54:14 PM »
Are the brakes wooden with both the front and the rear.??
Have you tried opening a bleed valve/valves to see if the hand/foot brake moves??

Check sections 15 and 16 of the honda manual for in depth information. 

P.S. have you checked the modulator motors fuse in the ABS fuse box.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
Not sure how U bled the brakes after U had them apart...but this flow chart may help.

Also, tis presumed that orginal braking and combination systems are as OEM and not hung off a leading link. Yes?

If so I personally cannot offer any further thoughts. I have read through the OEM construction and function manuals and nothing specifically jumps out other than the ECU is constantly monitoring both wheel speeds and their interaction with each other and the road surface. As a thought only, praps the chair is influencing this interaction and logs a fault code for no other reason, other than unknown inputs from the chair on the ABS/CBS.

As for "feel", of your brakes, the chart attached may be of assistance.

Cheers, the can :-)

PS...sorry bout the edits (iphone troubles).

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:44:45 PM by Greencan »

Offline Sidecardon

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
They things happen in threes, Now my back shock has gone  :H.  Trio to Metropolitan spares. S/h  $175.00. Bought a tinted screen as she'll $20 .00.   Ask about a Modulator $250.00. Next pay day so looking good so far ST2UP

Offline Sidecardon

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »
Bought ABS Modulater , just have to get time to fit it and re bleed the system.  Wot thuh

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
Bought ABS Modulater , just have to get time to fit it and re bleed the system. 

Which one?

Offline Sidecardon

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 05:50:10 PM »
Rear Modulater   Can   Will be changing over Easter.

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:59:02 PM »
Rear Modulater   Can   Will be changing over Easter.

OK....

Told me that the ABS Modulater could be faulty. So ordered new one $2,800.   F...ck  So. Left bike with them Three weeks later modulated fitted,  test rode still not fixed wooden brakes still there after about five or six stops machanic doesn't  know what to do.

...so now (post Easter), you'll have both modulators replaced? Yes?

Little confused, but nonetheless your into very new territory for this little black duck Ron.

This attachment is for the '96 onwards 1100's, which (rightly or wrongly), I have assumed is your bike? This info is not from the OEM service manual.

It'll be of little help to you if your bike is earlier as those variants utilised solenoid and not motor drives. I have attached to (hopefully), help you come to grips with what must be awefully frustrating scenario.

Good luck with it, the can :-)