Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes  (Read 14344 times)

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
Re: Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »
Being a devout coward, and not being that mechanically inclined, I rather not trust myself to fiddle with the one bit of the bike that might conceivably get me out of trouble if I get into it...so anything to do with the brakes goes to the dealer to fix, without hesitation.  :-((( :-((( :-(((
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Online STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
After tipping over my 1100 last year on the Putty road and the front brake lever being pushed right back to the bar, I have noticed the lever was a bit 'spongy' when pulled back hard. Bleeding showed no improvement, so I felt the line behind the headlight while squeezing the lever hard and could feel the hose expanding. Decided an overhaul of master cylinder and new braided line required (had overhauled the calipers 12mths ago). Ordered m/c kit from Japan and had my son who works at a hydrulic shop to make new lines for me (The shop and son have RTA certification to make brake lines). I fitted them up and using a 50ml syringe and plastic hose pushed the new brake fluid from the calipers back up into the master cylinder until no bubbles and cylinder full (was all dry and would have been a pain to bleed from top down). Then a couple of bleeds in the normal way to make certain no air still in lines and all good. Has improved the feel at the lever dramatically. My son said if anybody else in the club wanted new lines made he would do them for the same price ($115.00) plus postage of course. Can be done in black, silver, red and blue.

:bl11

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »
One trick I have read is to use plumbers tape on the bleeder thread to reduce air intake.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »
Found this because of brake problems.
even the best service manager I know says its a pain on the abs.
says it's up to an hour to bleed the six nipples.
remember not done right - you could be unstoppable missile.
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
ABS bikes have a specific procedure to follow. I just have one of the simple bikes :)  Some of the new bikes need a laptop plugged in and using software to go through the bleeding procedure.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Turtle

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
I had Malcolm and Ray over to my place on the weekend to check out the bike and it was suggested to change out the fluids brakes and clutch .......... we followed the steps Mal had put upon the steps on bleeding and boy was the fluid yuk

We had a issue with the rear and can any one answer this as i cant find anything relating to this on the net ....... Bike on centre stand when pulling in the front lever the rear brake caliper does not engage when rotated at all and it states that one piston does wh front lever pulled on.......depressing rear brake lever no issue with stopping wheel

we think that this being a St1300 Police model as ray mentioned the cops like to use rear brake more and honda may have adjusted the Police models not to apply the rear from the front lever ?

can anyone with an ex police test the bike for this on the centre stand hold front lever and try and spin rear wheel does it spin or not

We did not test ray or mals to if the same .......so can someone do this on the non police model

Turtle

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
We had a issue with the rear and can any one answer this as i cant find anything relating to this on the net ....... Bike on centre stand when pulling in the front lever the rear brake caliper does not engage when rotated at all and it states that one piston does wh front lever pulled on.......depressing rear brake lever no issue with stopping wheel

The front wheel needs to be rotating with brakes applied, in order to operate the "link" to the rear wheel.    You will see that the left front caliper can pivot forward on it's bottom fixture when front brakes are applied, and this movement depresses the piston at the top of the front left caliper, which in turn operates the rear brake.  It's an elegant mechanical link.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
I don't think there's be to much difference has to how the CBS brakes between the two models work.

1100:  foot brake operates centre pot on each calliper (front and rear)......this system is the only one with a direct link up.
          Hand brake operates outer pots on front callipers only and this system is not linked directly to the rear.
But:-   Any braking (by foot or hand) then causes LH calliper to activate (mechanical link) a secondary master cylinder to operate the outer two rear pots. 

img064 by Alan, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:34:42 AM by alans1100 »
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline STRay (Roo Killer)

• ST1100 - 1, Roo - 0
  • Perth, W.A.
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »

The front wheel needs to be rotating with brakes applied, in order to operate the "link" to the rear wheel.    You will see that the left front caliper can pivot forward on it's bottom fixture when front brakes are applied, and this movement depresses the piston at the top of the front left caliper, which in turn operates the rear brake.  It's an elegant mechanical link.

:think1 Wouldn't this be why it is necessary to remove the left front caliper and tilt it before trying to bleed the rear caliper? This is where we had the "issue". The rear caliper would not bleed at all from the front lever, but bled both circuits on the rear caliper from the foot pedal!  :fp
Ray,

ST1100PT ( now 2 tone red )
ST1300AA - SOLD
GL1800E  Blue
FarRider   #110
IBA           #39079
STOC        #821
Roo Killer Extraordinare

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA