Author Topic: Stuck Blinker Switch  (Read 2059 times)

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
Stuck Blinker Switch
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
I've noticed over the last month the blinker switch on my ex police 2002 ST1100 has been jamming on both left and right side. I have dosed it up with WD40 but it is still getting stuck and with gloves on is dificult to turn off. I pulled the switch apart yesterday and cannot figure out why it is happening. If I cannot fix this one up I am going to have to purchase a new switch.
Is this a common fault?
Keith
05 ST1300

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Stuck Blinker Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
Not a common problem as far as I know. There have been issues with the headlight high/low contact gumming up and needing either lubricating or cleaning.  I haven't had mine apart for ages, but it sounds like either some junk built up or a part/the spring has worn or weakened.  I will have a look later today to get some ideas.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »
I noticed yesterday when I had the cover off that mine has a spring with a phillips screw in the middle, it appears the Y shape switch with the button on it appears to be catching on the head of the screw that goes up the middle of the spring. I have not had a look at an expanded view of this but this appears to be the reason mine is jamming.

I have the bike for about 4 years and only ever replaced the high beam switch because of the fault just mentioned. I don't think I have seen a break down of this mechanism as it is considered a replaceable item.
Keith
05 ST1300

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »
Just had a look at mine. At the button end a philips head screw holds down the sliding part of the switch with a washer. The head of the screw is round, and fits through the Y part of the switch as it is pushed in. Is the screw the right one, too long or the washer too thick?  It is a tight fit (or you could call it precisely right) .At the other end there is a plastic mechanism that is flicked left and right, and when the button is pushed it turns off. Does that still work?  I put some grease on mine while it was apart.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »
had mine stick once. tried wd40 or the like but no go. used a degeaser ( cannot remember what one) then enox. no problems since and that was several years ago and not touched since
regards
           Royce