Author Topic: fast idle wax  (Read 8996 times)

Offline redrider

• Macedon Range
  • ST Legend
fast idle wax
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Brian and I,m a member of the Macedon Ranges Ulysses branch ,Love the site and hopefully will get to meet some of you. My first question  is. can the fast idle wax be adjusted on the throttle bodies to bring the revs down a bit as the motor is warming up? At the moment the revs creep up sometimes to 3000rpm but only for a brief sec

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: fast idle wax
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
Welcome to the Nut House, from an old fart in the West.

From what I have read around various fora (forums???) that seems to be standard, not sure if it can be adjusted.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »
Hi Brian, welcome to the site, my bike will get that high  for a short time. It only happens when I start riding  from cold and I just putt along till I get 3 bars.  :thumbs :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »
Hello Brian, welcome aboard our good ship  :thumb I am sure man of our brains trust will have excellent answers for you!

Hi everyone, my name is Brian and I,m a member of the Macedon Ranges Ulysses branch ,Love the site and hopefully will get to meet some of you. My first question  is. can the fast idle wax be adjusted on the throttle bodies to bring the revs down a bit as the motor is warming up? At the moment the revs creep up sometimes to 3000rpm but only for a brief sec
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
Hi Brian, welcome to the funny farm and I can honestly say that I have no idea whether it can be adjusted or not, but mine does the same thing for a short time.  :runyay
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »
Welcome to the kingdom of the wise.

Namely, ST owners!

My ST1300 started doing this recently.  It idles fine at start up, but then goes to 3000 to 4000 RPM for a few seconds- maybe 15, before settling down.  Someone suggested a build-up of sticky fuel residue in the vacuum lines that the ECU derives its information from.  To check would involve removing more bits that I want to just now (seat, tank cover, tank raised, air box top, funnels, airbox bottom (big pain to refit) then delve into the engine bits then do it all in reverse.  So I'm living with it for the time being until I need to go there (e.g. to clean my K&N filter) or because I'm desperate for some flagellation.

Someone somewhere blamed Shell petrol for it.  If you use Shell you might see a connection.  I've been using it for years (it's handy and has discounts) and this has only started in the past couple of months.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
It sounds like you have normal behaviour Brian.

As Biggles says, there have been some owners who have had the start system play up due to blockages in those vacuum lines. You can synchronise the idle setup, supposedly this may make it run more consistently. Note that this synch is not synching the throttle bodies, which are non-adjustable.  I don't know if the wax pellets that run the system might change their behaviour over time, or if any part of the system needs cleaning/lubricating.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline redrider

• Macedon Range
  • ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks for all your input fellas. might just leave things alone for the time being.

Offline OzRider

• Brisbane QLD
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
RR check your water level in the radiator.

I had the same trouble because some idiot who worked on the bike  :|||| :|||| (me) forgot to connect the overflow hose so upon pressure the excess was being discharged to atmosphere and not the well hidden and unreadable resevoir bottle.

Therefore the radiator was running low and the idle wax was heating up using engine heat not radiator heat, have a look Im saying ive worked on your bike and not connected the hose  :cuss :cuss its just that the radiator level may be low.
I don’t wanna a pickle just wanna ride my moto sickle
FarRider # 349     IBA # 47578

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • RTE Coordinator
  • ST1300 ABS
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 05:53:14 AM »
Hi All,
The same problem has just started happening to me so I looked it up in the good old Haynes Service & Repair Manual (excellent purchase courtesy of Amazon). The actual problem is that even after the usual morning warmup (long enough to get the helmet & jacket on) and start down the drive, the revs shoot up to 4,000. They stay high for the first couple of intersections which leaves absolutely no engine braking effect and is quite dangerous.
The Haynes Manual refers us to section 4.19 'Starter Valves - Synchronisation' and I quote:
"...on completion (of another process) check the starter valve synchronisation. Note: Honda do not specify this as a service item advising that it need only be carried out if the starter valves have been removed from the throttle body assembly. The procedure...only alters the starter valves which control the idle speed when the engine is cold and warming up. On high mileage machines the linkage could wear and produce uneven idling when cold and warming up. If this is the case then the syncronisation procedure should be carried out."
It then goes on to describe the procedure which requires a manometer to check and adjust vacuum pressure. My bike is on 52,000km which I would not call high mileage. However, long story short, it's booked into Honda for next week to get it sorted.
Cheers.
Rob NZ

Offline redrider

• Macedon Range
  • ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »
Hi all. thanks for all the replys on this subject.I,ve dug deep into this problem as I know a lot of st1300,s have the same problem. I had the air box out to fit up a cruise control  and thought I would study up the fast idle wax unit. Here we go. On top of the wax unit which is located on the left side of the valve body mid drift there is a small shaft with an adjusting nut and a small dob of white paint on it, turn the nut 1 to 1 1/2 turns anticlockwise .this will close the starter valves only slightly and stop the idles going through the roof. Don,t  worry if you think your putting them all out of synch ,your not, it is just one small adjustment that moves the starter valves all together but only slightly.My idles were up to 3000 to 3500 sometimes on a really cold day,now they dont go over 2000 rpm Good Luck and if you decide to have a go just keep in mind the exact amount you turn the locknut ,cheers Brian                               PS.starter valves can be synchronized with vacum gauges and it may smooth your idle
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:52:46 PM by red rider »

Offline RockyRural

• Bugger work, where's the bike?
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
I had a similar problem also compounded by the fact the bike would not idle sometimes,

Removed airbox locate 5 way vacumn link, found it was full of sticky fuel residue, removed, replaced, problem gone, bike idles perfectly.

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
Lately mine has started well in the morning, then after putting the Jacket and Helmet on the idle gets rough and the engines stalls. 

Restart and keep the revs above 2000 manually and ride off to work.  Any backing off of the throttle causes the engine to die and then run start.  This can last from 2 to 30 km.  Sometimes just shutting down the engine and restarting fixes it.

Of course every time I take it in for a service it's not playing up.   :||||

Anyone else had this problem or is it related.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • RTE Coordinator
  • ST1300 ABS
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 12:17:22 PM »
Mine was doing the same thing as per two posts ago. I cost myself a lot of labour time at Honda by incorrectly pre-diagnosing the problem to them as the fast idle wax. Turns out the problem was simply caused by me changing the coolant the weekend beforehand. I hadn't revved the engine hard enough during the coolant-change process which had left an air lock in the system. The lack of heated coolant circulating resulted in the idle system not detecting the engine was warming up and therefore triggered the 4,000 rpm. The high revs then lasted until the engine heat itself (rather than the heated coolant) shut the fast idle down.
Cheers,
Rob
Rob NZ