Author Topic: Preliminary results of using PM800 Fuel additive  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Preliminary results of using PM800 Fuel additive
« on: July 13, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
Here are some results regarding the use of PM800 fuel additive in my ST1100

Prior to the additive (6 fill ups)  I was averaging 15.7 Ks per Litre (a long trip or two helps improve the economy figures)

Using additive (6 fill ups includes a long trip)       15.6 Ks per Litre

After additive (only 3 fills no long trips )              14.9 Ks per Litre   ( No long trip so economy down slightly)

My view is that using PM800 has had little if any effect on fuel consumption on my ST1100. I still need to do a few fills to get the Ks and fuel usage, and a long trip (to remove the economy skew).

It may be that the fuel / carby system in my bike was clean to start with, so improvement wasnt possible.

The end result ( well not really the end as I still have a lot of PM800 to go) is that I have seen no improvement in economy, but neither have I seen any degradation. There is a possibility that PM800 could help with bad fuel, and it could be giving a bit of top end lubrication.

So the Jury is still out.
Do you have any factual results either way?? If so, post them here. Subjective things like a feel of an increase of power isnt what I am after, its provable info backed by kept records...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline harieg

• Harie G
  • Legendary Member
  • ausSTie Brendale Qld.
    • www.aomm.net.au
Re: Preliminary results of using PM800 Fuel additive
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
what about STP
any one done an EVAL on that
ST1100 A Gold  1999 50 year anniversary OzSToc #169
ST1100 P Black 1996                            STOC #8037 verified
ST1300, Blue, 2004
CBR XX Super Blackbird 2006

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
just my ten cents, i have tried the fuel additives of differing brands over the last couple of years, half the time i think they are something with food colouring in them, i have not had 1 yet that has provided savings, fuel economy or noticeable extra power.

i just wonder are they what they are cracked up to be? or is it a good ploy for us to spend another $10.95 a bottle, to make us feel like we are doing the right thing?

not saying i am right or wrong, more just curious to what the right answer might be.....

Cheers

Streak
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
 Hi Streak
               Have been keeping track of my fuel usage since I first got the ST in Dec 2011.  :fp
   Before I started using PM800 I only used Premium Unleaded.

50 fills before PM800 including trip to Blackheath  Average 17.94 klm/lt  (50.67 Imp MPG) For a total of 16,472.8 Klm  Using Premium Unleaded (8 to12cents per litre dearer)
     12 fills so far using PM800 and Standard Unleaded  Average 17.91 klm/lt  (50.59 Imp MPG) For a total of 3,325.6 Klm  Extra cost per litre for PM800  3.5c
      Savings for me using Pm800 4.5 to 8.5 cents per litre.  :hatwave
      It is very hard to say if there is any improvement performance wise but I am happy just with the savings and the convience of using Unleaded.  :wink1
       Any performance gains, cleaner injectors or other benifits are just a bonus if they happen.  :whistle
                                :grin :grin

2016 KTM1290 Super Adventure
2018 HONDA NC750X

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »
I have used it for a while in the ST1100, and can't say I have seen any improvement in fuel usage, but again I think with the STs that they must be quite ok stock compared to other bikes. I use 91 or E10.

One big difference I have found is that when I got a bad batch of fuel (suspect water in it) coming back from Robertson that I struggled to get home..and of course I had stopped using the PM800 a tank or so before. Luckily Lionel had some PM800 I gave him to try so I bunged in a  double dose.  Made it back to Canberra just as it was probably too much water in the carb bowls for it to get rid of.  Just as I got back the bike cleared itself, but lots of water vapour coming out the back but at least it runs fine.  I think that in some case it does work, and may be some extra insurance for those times when you have to fill up in unfamiliar places way from home.

I am using the PM800 in the car as I have converted it to liquid injection LPG, so need something to keep the petrol and injectors in reasonable condition as will only have to put 5 litres of petrol in every month or so.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Down Under

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
I think if your fuel injection system is already in good condition you wont notice any improvement in fuel economy by using a fuel additive designed to clean your fuel system.  If you use premium fuels, I'm led to believe that the additional additives in these will keep your injectors in good condition anyway.  I still put a good quality fuel injector cleaner through a tank of fuel every 5000 k's as a form of preventative maintenance and my bike has consistently returned the same fuel/milage figures since break in.  There's plenty of scientific evidence to show that fuel injection additives help to keep injectors clean and consequently a better running and more economical engine.  However, there's also plenty of evidence to show that additive manufacturers claiming that their products do more than clean fuel systems is largely a myth.   

Cheers,

Tony 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:39:20 AM by Down Under »

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »
I'm using PM800 in the ST11 and I too have noticed no improvement in fuel economy.  If I remember correctly my best mpg so far is before I started adding that stuff. 

When I finish the PM800 bottle I will monitor the mpg to see if anything changes - I expect it won't but we'll see.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is, if that PM800 stuff really did improve mpg by 10% I would expect it to be a hell of a lot more popular than it is. 

For $25 or whatever it was it was worth trying to satisfy my curiosity, but at the moment I would have been better off giving that money to charity.