Author Topic: Clutch Master Seals Leaking.  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Maxnettoz

• ST Legend
Clutch Master Seals Leaking.
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »
Riding back from a two hour trip through Boonah, Beaudesert and the Gold Coast I had quite a drop of of fluid level in the clutch master cylinder level.  To top the off quite a large puddle of fluid had dropped on the locking side pocket.  Onto my local STealer for a master cylinder seal kit.  $95 bucks.  As my pistons, dustcap, springs etc were in good nick, I went down my my local better brakes with my piston and seals in hand.  He measured up and supplied me two new seals for $8.50 total.  I rebuilt the Master this morning and works like a charm.  Took an hour maximum.  My apologies for not logging the rebuild and photos.  The problem with my solution is that the local brake guy could not supply me a dust seal cap for the master if my seal was cactus.  Still for around 10% of kit I am very happy with the rebuild.  My tip, don't be afraid to look at alternatives to the kits. ++

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
Re: Clutch Master Seals Leaking.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »
Did you get the part numbers of the seals? Or the dimensions?

All this type of information helps.

:blu13

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:40:39 PM »
Seals are 14mm dia.
If the bore is scoured There is a mob called Halray in Lismore who will resleeve a master cylinder in stainless for $104

Offline Maxnettoz

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:36:07 AM »
No I didn't.  The guy was most helpful.  Took my old seals, measured them with the calipers and pulled one out of his stock drawers.  Come to think of it it was bloody good service on his part. :grin