Author Topic: Some tips for the ladies  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
Some tips for the ladies
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
10 Tips for Women Riding/Pillioning on Motorcycles

1. Ride Comfortably – Whatever bike you choose, it’s imperative that you’re comfortable on it. This sounds easy enough, but a lot of women ignore this advice and think that they will be OK even though they may feel a little awkward on the bike they’ve chosen. Having the right fitting bike will give you the confidence that you need to go anywhere. If you’re at all out of sorts and not feeling comfortable on your ride, you’re far more likely to make bad judgment calls. If it’s too tall, consider getting a lowering kit or boots with a slight heel so that you can sit flat footed. Ask yourself honestly which bike will be most comfortable for you: touring, sport, off-road, enduro, etc.

2. Dress Comfortably – Whether you shop at a bike shop or online, make sure that the item(s) feel great both on and off the bike. Remember that they will feel quite differently once you sit down in a riding position. An ill-fitting outfit can make a big difference as to how you maneuver the bike.

3. Hone Your Skills – Take a riding course prior to your journey. Many states in the U.S. offer riding classes for beginners as well as for advanced riders. You may also be able to take an off-road course that can teach you skills in case you decide to take your bike off road or you get caught in an unexpected situation that takes you onto rough roads.

4. Pack Light – Saddle bags, tank bags and a trunk case are all good accessories but don’t overdo it by packing too much. One change of clothes, toiletries, maps, snacks, camera and perhaps camping gear are all you really need when you get on the road. As with all travel, the less you carry, the more agile you’ll be. You’ll have less to pack up on your bike and fewer items to carry in and out of a hotel or into your campground.

5. Know Where You’re Going – You may not have your full trip mapped out in advance but each night, take a look at your route and get to know a little bit about the terrain and region you’ll be traveling through the next day. Knowing the weather forecast will also help you prepare in having the right gear ready for the day. Having said this, be open to serendipity and flexibility. You might meet other riders on the road and want to travel with a group for awhile. Perhaps you’ll get a tip on some hot springs that you want to check out or you might get pointed towards a twisty road that you hadn’t planned on. Go with it if it feels right and enjoy the ride!

6. Give it a Break – Know your riding limit. Some women may only feel comfortable riding for a few hours while others may want or need to travel long distances. In either case, take a break when you need it. For me, I like to stop every hour to hour and a half. While this might seem excessive, it gives me time to rest up, grab a coffee or some water, understand where I am on the map and move forward. By the time I stop for gas every few hours, this works out just right.

7. Have a Routine – Personally, I like to start early in the morning, especially in warm climates. This allows me to get through the cooler part of the day with all my gear on, stop for lunch and then proceed for just a short while in the heat when I start looking for a place to overnight. I can then unpack my gear in a hotel room or campground and then spend the afternoon walking, hiking, window shopping or writing. Lots of time for dinner, getting settled in for the night and getting ready for the next day. You might not be a morning person and therefore will start later. If that’s the case, ride for a few hours and just be sure to stop before dark.

8. The Route – Decide in advance whether you want to spend the majority of time on side roads or perhaps toll highways where you can cover more distance in a shorter period of time. Keep in mind that a highway probably won’t be as interesting but you’ll get to your destination far faster.

9. Know the Basics – It wouldn’t be an adventure if something didn’t go wrong. However, you can be prepared by carrying spare parts and a manual. If you’re riding in a foreign country, you may be able to find a manual in that country’s language and also a list of dealerships throughout the country in which you’re traveling. If you can problem solve a gas issue, dead battery or light outage, you’ll be ahead of the game and won’t panic. If something does go wrong, in all likelihood you’ll easily find someone who can help you out. Not because you’re a hot chick on a bike but because people WANT to help needy travelers, no matter the circumstance. People the world over are genuinely interested in making sure that you are taken care of in their part of the world (whether it’s NYC or Tuscany). Trust me.

10. Just Say Yes – Don’t let anyone scare or intimidate you into thinking that you can’t travel on your motorcycle, whether you’re planning a solo trip or are going on a group tour. We’ve been riding too long to listen to that bulls*^#. You are woman, and I hear ya roar. Go travel!

Hope these help ladies  :thumbsup

:popcorn
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
Re: Some tips for the ladies
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »
On point 1, don't ever let anyone talk you out of the bike you really want.  Lots of guys will say "it's too big" or "it's too powerful", especially if you go for something like an ST.  I bought the ST and rode it back from Sydney to Darwin when I'd only been riding for 6 months.  Best decision I could have made, and still love it to bits.  My dad still thinks it's too big for me though  :|||| :|||| :||||
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
A 45 yr old female owned my 1100 before me. Took her five years to realise it was to large. (Her words not mine). Could only tip toe the bike when stopped. That was her only problem as far as handling the bike goes.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »
That's right Wendy, just the reason you don't get your man to buy your everyday underwear  :eek he will get the stuff he wants you in, not what suits you and your needs  :wink1  :crackup
Pockey

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
That's right Wendy, just the reason you don't get your man to buy your everyday underwear  :eek he will get the stuff he wants you in, not what suits you and your needs  :wink1  :crackup

I'm sorry i'm not seeing your point here......  :Chocies

But a good read though, some interesting points of view in the 10 Tips :thumb
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »

Right on... for the love of all things, at least get matching underwear....*wonders back off to the man threads*

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »

Right on... for the love of all things, at least get matching underwear....*wonders back off to the man threads*

:grin  :grin Just as well you left of your own free will !!!  :crackup.  But thanks for dropping by  :hatwave

Wish we could get more of you boys to drop in more often  :whistle

Pockey  :thumb
Pockey

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »
I don't know what the fuss is about. back in the late 70s/early 80s there were lots of female riders riding bikes like the 900 and 1000cc bikes that were (at the time) large powerful bikes).  And many rode to rallies on dirt roads as well.  The complaint about not being able to touch the ground is both a male and female thing, as plenty of blokes don't like taller bikes either.

On the way back from the Border Run a lady in a roadhouse talked to me about the freedom of the road with a bike (I think she was in a camper van with the husband, who picked the bike as ex police).  She had done the around Australia thing on a small bike way back, and you could see she really wanted to be out on a bike again.  So don't even think about it, just do it!  instead of sitting thinking about it.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »
On the way back from the Border Run a lady in a roadhouse talked to me about the freedom of the road with a bike (I think she was in a camper van with the husband).  She had done the around Australia thing on a small bike way back, and you could see she really wanted to be out on a bike again.

I have had those sort of conversation with women while the husband/partner sits quietly in the background.  :grin

:bl11

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
On the way back from the Border Run a lady in a roadhouse talked to me about the freedom of the road with a bike (I think she was in a camper van with the husband).  She had done the around Australia thing on a small bike way back, and you could see she really wanted to be out on a bike again.

I have had those sort of conversation with women while the husband/partner sits quietly in the background.  :grin

:bl11

Me to Steve, it is a difficult one, it is not like "no one puts baby in a corner" but many riders wives/partners have no interest in motorcycles, and dont wish to be involved, others have pillions that basically turn their music on and that's as involved as they get.

Then there are pillions like Teela, (who would rather be riding herself but we are doing something about that) she loves being around the club, but does not really have the interest in the forum, but will hop straight on if i tell her there is something interesting to look at.

then there are the mad ladies like Wendy, Pocket Stocker who are here to keep us laughing and somewhat on the straight and narrow!

i think Pockey is on the right track though, if we have keen pillions out there, we can do no worse then to tell them they are welcome, and are welcome to contribute in anyway shape or form  :thumb
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63