Author Topic: Valentines Day Ride  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

• Rob Married Ros 14/09/2019
  • Legendary Member
  • White Phoenix
Valentines Day Ride
« on: February 15, 2020, 03:46:31 PM »
 :wht13 Today 14/02/2020 Was a day for “White Phoenix” to be registered for the first time since starting a new life.
So, my wife Ros and I decided to have a Valentine's Day ride to Glasshouse Mountains. So, with bike rego done at 8:50 am, back home to affix the plate to bike, do necessary checks i.e. Tyre pressure check, coolant level check, Oil level check, we headed off on our trip.
Bike ran beautifully no issues at all, we then entered the 110kph zone, so, I then upped the speed to between 108-110kph still no issues.
Then suddenly the rear tire lost all pressure (Instinct kicked in throttle off the clutch in)  :eek :eek we safely coasted to a stop just after Pumelstone Road overpass. Most ST owners know how hard it is to get the bike onto the center stand with a flat rear.
I checked the bike was in a safe area and then called BEST BUD “Shiney” and within 1 hour he and Carrol arrived with hopefully a quick fix. Unfortunately, we discovered it was NOT a quick fix as the previous repair job on a puncture was done incorrectly according to the tire guy. Shiney then called RACQ who helpfully towed the bike to Caboolture Motorcycle Tyres.
After purchasing a Bridgestone T31R 170/60-17 tire. And becoming a lobster  :H while waiting on the roadside, we decided to return home as I was suffering a little heat exhaustion. But apart from its first hiccup “White Phoenix” performed exceptionally.
A SUPER BIG THANKS GOES TO SHINEY AND CARROL THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU  :-++  :Blow
CHEERS
DRACO :)

Honda MT250 Elsinore, Honda 750 four F1
Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki Z1R Mk ll (mint green)
FJ1200 Yamaha 1995, Kawasaki Z1100
Kawasaki Z1000, FJ1200 Yamaha 1995
FJ1200 Yamaha 1992, FJR1300 Yamaha 2004
ST1300 Honda 2004, FJ1200 Yamaha 1990

My next ride:2015 ST1300P
White Phoenix

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Kev Murphy

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
Re: Valentines Day Ride
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 03:56:50 PM »
Great stuff!   The Phoenix has indeed risen.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 04:02:12 PM »
It's bad enough getting a puncture, but worse when a dodgy repair lets you down. 
Good to read the ST is going so well.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Draco (Heartbreak Kid)

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 08:55:39 PM »
Then suddenly the rear tire lost all pressure (Instinct kicked in throttle off the clutch in)  :eek :eek we safely coasted to a stop just after Pumelstone Road overpass. Most ST owners know how hard it is to get the bike onto the center stand with a flat rear.
I checked the bike was in a safe area and then called BEST BUD “Shiney” and within 1 hour he and Carrol arrived with hopefully a quick fix. Unfortunately, we discovered it was NOT a quick fix as the previous repair job on a puncture was done incorrectly according to the tire guy. Shiney then called RACQ who helpfully towed the bike to Caboolture Motorcycle Tyres.

I guess that's one of my biggest fears with riding, that and having a spill... :eek

When I took out insurance on my ST, I ticked the box for the optional roadside assist...Fairly cheap peace of mind, I reckon...  :thumbs

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Wild Rose

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 12:41:55 AM »
Good to hear that you got back on the road  :runyay
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 10:59:33 AM »
 :Like:
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 09:52:56 PM »
I guess that's one of my biggest fears with riding, that and having a spill... :eek

When I took out insurance on my ST, I ticked the box for the optional roadside assist...Fairly cheap peace of mind, I reckon...  :thumbs

I don't know how much extra premium you pay to tick that box, but my way of getting cover for the bike emergencies is to take the appropriate level with my car roadside assist (RACQ in QLD) which then covers me for all my vehicles and anything else I drive.  Pretty good, since the higher cover includes longer towing distance and a few other nice-to-have things.  I've had to use the towie twice, tyres in both cases (it's the part of the bike Honda doesn't make).
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 12:11:05 AM »
Think it works out around $6 a month, something like that anyhow.  :thumb
I figure the roadside assist Swann Insurance offer is fairly reasonable for the cost...

Here's their blurb:
Roadside assistance will aid you in situations where your motorcycle is immobilised for any reasons such as a flat battery, flat tyre, running out of petrol or mechanical problems.
Not only will you be covered when your motorcycle is immobilised, assistance will also be provided in events such as becoming ill or injured or when you have received a fine or
infringement and unable to ride your motorcycle. In this event, your motorcycle will be picked up and returned to your home.
Adding personal and roadside assistance to your Comprehensive motorcycle insurance allows you to have a helping hand 24 hours a day / 7 days a week with unlimited call outs.

As for the RACV, I've never been a big fan as they really don't seem keen to represent riders interests.
I also find their insurance is usually overpriced.

Cheers  :beer

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 09:05:44 AM »
....... As for the RACV, I've never been a big fan as they really don't seem keen to represent riders interests ......

I've had good and not-so-good experience with RACV Total Cover.

Good was 8:00am one Sunday in Charlton (rural VIC), CB1300 battery flat as a tack, CB's charging system was kaput as well.  Called RACV, truck is there is 15 minutes, wheeled CB into garage next next to breakfast cafe, got lift home on back of mate's Spyder, bike delivered to auto elec Monday.

Good was after my HA in Bega, RACV reimbursed Helen's fuel and accomodation on her way to Bega, and then our costs on our way home from Canberra (around $500), and then trucked the CB back home.

Not-so-good was flat tyre on Great Alpine Road 10:00am one Saturday, ST was brand new - hadn't even added the ST to Total Care cover, call to RACV they added on the spot, lodged request of assist, call back to advise assistance would be at least two hours (Omeo service technician had calls to Dinner Plains and Benambra ahead of us).  Put two or three (may have been four) rope plugs in, used three or four CO2 cartridges, made it to Omeo, topped-up pressure.

Most other 'hiccups' when on the road have been related to a flat battery or puncture which I have repaired myself, as this has just been easier than waiting roadside.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
Cheers Michael!  :thumbsup

I'm sure there are plenty of happy RACV customers out there, just as there are probably plenty of disgruntled customers.

Who knows, Swann's roadside assist may be crap, I guess I won't know until I actually have to use it.
At the end of the day though, it provides a bit of peace of mind and will (hopefully) get me out of a jam.

I do have free Hyundai Roadside Assist on my car at the moment but I think that expires next month so I may end up going with RACV down the track in spite of me not being a fan.
If that does happen it may very well be worth swapping the bike over to that as well...

:hijacked

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »
Who knows, Swann's roadside assist may be crap, I guess I won't know until I actually have to use it.
At the end of the day though, it provides a bit of peace of mind and will (hopefully) get me out of a jam.

I do have free Hyundai Roadside Assist on my car at the moment but I think that expires next month so I may end up going with RACV down the track in spite of me not being a fan.
If that does happen it may very well be worth swapping the bike over to that as well...

I wouldn't rush into it. the cover you quoted in italics above is excellent!  It's also possible the contract RACV to do the work, but if they're paying for it, then for that money it's better than ramping up the auto club cover.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz