Author Topic: Oil & Oil Filter Change  (Read 10454 times)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
Oil & Oil Filter Change
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
I've had a "man look", but couldn't find a thread. 

Can someone give me the good oil or steer me (or should that be lean me?) in the right direction, please?
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline alchemist

• Dave
  • NR2016 Group
  • Rockingham, WA
Re: Oil & Oil Filter Change
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »
Nah there is not a thread, looked the other night.
Dave
06 ST1300P
:wht13
Rockingham, WA

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »
Found this on a US site:
http://www.thefairchilds.org/bikes/st-oilchange.html

Now all I gotta do is work out how to convert mile to km and gallon to litre ......  >:()

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
4.55 L to the gallon imperial that is.

The online manual (available in the 1300 section ) will tell you how many litres you need.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »
I just pour the oil in slowly until it appears in the glass.  Then run the motor to fill the filter and slowly add more, bearing in mind there's a delay in its arriving in the sump, and you don't want to over-fill it.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »
I just pour the oil in slowly until it appears in the glass.  Then run the motor to fill the filter and slowly add more, bearing in mind there's a delay in its arriving in the sump, and you don't want to over-fill it.

I just fill to just below the level, start motor, let it run for a few minutes and then check the level after about 5 mins and top up to just below the level. Pays to check the oil filter while engine running, I had one weep and had to re-tighten about 1/4 a turn
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 09:18:54 PM »
Finally got around to changing the oil and filter. Whiskey Foxtrot Tango Mr Honda, how effing hard could you make those (usually) simple tasks?

Actually would have been easier if I hadn't taken off the lower fairing (which I didn't really need to do), but wanted to have a good look around under the ST - even a naked underside of an ST is a thing of beauty.

I also put in some "balancing beads" in each tyre, 2oz of tiny tiny tiny ceramic beads front and rear.  Some of the reports indicate these are the ants pants, I'll let yuse know after I test ride tomorrow.  This should have been a 10 minute job per wheel, but as usual I managed to make it around 30 minutes each wheel - I have a knack.

Test ride tomorrow will be to the Strath Creek store, leave St Helena by 9:00am, Strath Creek around 10:00am, leave 12:00noon, need to be back home by 1:00pm.

PM or SMS / call mobile (if you have no.) if you want to provide Helen and me with some company.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
What did you find hard Williamson ??

:popcorn
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 10:22:16 PM »

I also put in some "balancing beads" in each tyre, 2oz of tiny tiny tiny ceramic beads front and rear.  Some of the reports indicate these are the ants pants, I'll let yuse know after I test ride tomorrow.  This should have been a 10 minute job per wheel, but as usual I managed to make it around 30 minutes each wheel - I have a knack.

I've had them in the last three sets and they don't appear to do any harm but I can't tell if they're doing any good either. Since I can't get the wheels/tyres balanced when they're fitted the beads are at least better than nothing.

As for getting them in the tyres as quick as advertised then it's more like 20 minutes per wheel before installing back on the bike.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »
What did you find hard Williamson ??

Just my method.  It would have been easier, if I had done it the easy way, but I have a knack .....

I've had them in the last three sets and they don't appear to do any harm but I can't tell if they're doing any good either. Since I can't get the wheels/tyres balanced when they're fitted the beads are at least better than nothing.

As for getting them in the tyres as quick as advertised then it's more like 20 minutes per wheel before installing back on the bike.

I found a Youtube video which suggested 10 minutes per wheel, but I have a knack .....

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
Finally got around to changing the oil and filter. Whiskey Foxtrot Tango Mr Honda, how effing hard could you make those (usually) simple tasks?

I'm sympathetic to your situation.  The only easy part is dropping the oil from the sump plug (assuming you don't burn your fingers with the hot oil and then drop the plug in the container).  Getting any sort of grip around the filter is a challenge.  The only easy way I've found is to use K&N filters which have a 17mm nut moulded into them.  By the time you work out how to get the silver plastic cover off the RH head your knuckles are shredded.  I've actually written a couple of reminder arrows and words on mine because it's not intuitive.  Once you've managed to wrangle a funnel of sorts to let you pour the oil in you're nearly there except for figuring out how to get that wretched silver plastic cover back on.
 :crazy
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
.....  The only easy way I've found is to use K&N filters which have a 17mm nut moulded into them....

My filter has a replaceable chrome plated metal cover with a 17mm hex head nut.

My previous oil and filter changes have been at the Honda dealer, but not being prepared to pay their exorbitant labour and parts charges, I decided this oil and filter change I could do myself.   I didn't need to remove the under fairing, but I did as it enabled me to get a good view and perspective of what was required.

Another problem (which I forgot to mention earlier) was getting the oil tray positioned under the filter.  With the ST on the centre stand, it doesn't - result was oil spillage on the garage floor.  Not much, but a small nuisance. Next time I'll leave the ST on the side stand.

Re. the balance beads - they work well for me.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »
I can sympathise with the spilage from the filter..... :||||

Here is a solution, grab a piece of bendable plastic sheet.....I use the front cover from an old A4 clear sleeve display folder. Allow the pipes to cool just a little and mould the plastic in place above the pipes and down into your oil tray. That will be the end of your spilage from the filter  :thumbsup

:beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline HunterTodd

• HunterTodd
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
Howdy all,

I saw a tool in a catalog recently for removing sump plugs. It was a little bendy shaft with a socket and a magnet on the end. You crack the nut with a spanner then attach this do hickey and wind it off. Looked good did anybody buy one?

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »
I can sympathise with the spilage from the filter..... :||||

The other solution is to put a sheet of cardboard off a big carton down and put the centrestand on it. 
I bought a 900mm drip tray from SCA to stand the bike in next time.
Beats cleaning oil off concrete.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
The other way is to go borrow some alfoil and use it in the right areas to direct oil into the oil pan.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »
I just drain the oil into this first (bought for car) and it's large enough to catch any drips (after moving the pan) from the drain hole while I'm doing the filter. I just wipe off any oil that got on the motor and exhaust pipes before putting the new filter on.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:20:12 PM by alans1100 »

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
I use the same pan as allan.....very easy  :like

Holds the old filter so it drains, easy to pour into old container for disposal  :like

:beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
Holds the old filter so it drains, easy to pour into old container for disposal 

And on that subject, I take my old containers to the mechanic who services my car and he adds it to his bulk oil for recycling.  Saves me having to go to the dump and find the right place for the sake of a couple of 5 litre containers full.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:50:52 PM by Biggles »

Offline Aussieboy

• STeve
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
I saw this somewhere else possibly onthe US site. Get an old dustpan, drill a hole close to the handle push it up behind the oil filter with the handle down into your oil drain tray and remove the oil filter. I use genuine Honda filter and the tool mentioned above to remove the filter. Simple and no mess. Hope the picture uploads OK. If I remember next service I will take a photo of this high tech gadget in operation.
Steve
2010 ST1300
Ulysses 61988
It's not difficult it's just unfamiliar

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »
Some good ideas, thanks to all, but I think I like this one the best.

I saw this somewhere else possibly onthe US site. Get an old dustpan, drill a hole close to the handle push it up behind the oil filter with the handle down into your oil drain tray and remove the oil filter. I use genuine Honda filter and the tool mentioned above to remove the filter. Simple and no mess. Hope the picture uploads OK. If I remember next service I will take a photo of this high tech gadget in operation.

Pic is good.

++

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 09:41:37 PM »
To save the mess on the main stand use a 1lt bottle with the side cut out of it.
When I first met Dave , when he was still in traffic, he had seen the mechanic use this system on his bike.

When you unscrew the filter, it goes into the 1lt container and no oil on the stand or concrete.

:blu13

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
Interesting mirrors you have attached to your windscreen
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »
Interesting mirrors you have attached to your windscreen

Looks like they would vibrate.  Do they?

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »
I never spill oil on the concrete, I have a large sheet of vinyl left over from when I replaced some flooring in the house and I place that under the bike in case of any oil spills, but have never had an oil spill. I use a large oil pan the same as Allans, and after draining the oil from the motor I simply loosen the filter and let it drop into the pan of oil. I've found it easier to change the oil & filter on the side stand and never found it necessary to remove the lower fairing. The service manual will tell you exactly how much oil to use to fill the sump , with or without filter relacement, although I don't know why anyone would want to relace the oil without replacing the filter! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!