Author Topic: SA State Tour  (Read 876 times)

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
SA State Tour
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:58:27 AM »
Chris and I have just got home from lovely ten days of touring SA on the Beemer.   The weather was kind to us, and we just managed to dodge the massive storm system that hit SA and the eastern states.

Map of our route.   We were going to visit Yorke Peninsula as well, but were delayed in Port Lincoln, and needed to get home.

I did a bit of digging at the Penola Local History Centre and managed to find the house where I was born.   Penola is a lovely historic town and well worth a stay for a few days to properly explore.

Lunch at Port MacDonnell by the jetty.   We carried fruit, bread and other stuff and aved a fortune by cutting our lunches.

Morning tea at the wonderful Bordertown Bakery, which is a large structure built over the old police station.   It's packed full of antiques and collectables.

An evening walk along the shores of Lake Bonney at Barmera

Quorn in the Flinders Ranges has an evening light show,  where images are projected onto the local silo.

Coffin Bay is a little coastal holiday town near Port Lincoln.   The caravan park is a haven for kangaroos and this family of emus.

It was a wonderful trip and we deliberately made the days short and stayed in places that had not spent much time, which has given us ideas for future holidays.

IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, STroppy, Shiney, richo, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, Langers, CallMeSteve, ruSTynutz

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
Re: SA State Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
family of emus.

For those that werent aware, a useless bit of info..

After Mum emu lays the eggs at Dads feet, she runs off leaving dad to raise the babies.. From Laying until hatching, Dad just sits on the eggs ( no he doesnt watch netflix etc) he doesnt move even to eat. He then walks around with the brood until they can go off on their own...
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »
Thanks for sharing mate, it sounds like you had a great time :thumbsup

And thanks for the fact on emus Brock, it's always interesting to learn new facts :-++
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 09:23:00 AM »

Thanks for the report Pete.

Kev Murphy can also provide some interesting information on emus.  :Stirpot
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »
What a great m/c holiday!  Some extraordinary experiences right there.  That Bakery incorporating the old Police station is a "one-off".  The Quorn projections look like a marvellous idea.  Tame emus- who would have thought?  When we lived in Bourke my eldest daughter who was about 8 at the time was on a swing when a local emu ran over and began pecking at her socks which apparently were of interest.  She didn't take the attention well!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927