Author Topic: Getting to know the ST  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
Getting to know the ST
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »
I'm really glad I recently bought my '09 ST1300 a couple of weeks back.  I've ridden it twice now, a warmup between Newy and Taree and back with friends last week, highway stuff except for the Wooton bends and yesterday where I got a good taste of the bike in all it's uses. Only a short ride of 370ks or so, an indirect route to see a doctor at Sydney Olympic Park and back home but a cracker of a day I'd like to jot down that includes some roads that anyone riding through the area might want to have a peek at.

I left Newcastle about 9am determined not to use the freeway on the way down to the big smoke, so out through Edgeworth, Wakefield, Cooranbong, Wyee, Yarramalong and up Bumble Hill Road to Kulnurra.  I didn't stop at Jerry's, a really popular rest break for bikes, turning left towards Peats Ridge and then on to the "Old Pacific Hwy" Calga, Mt White and a mandatory stop at Pie in the Sky.  The pies are good but not worth $6. However the coffee is also good and there is always a line of interesting bikes to look at. By this stop I'd become well used to the cornering and feel of the bike, which is quite different to the others I own.  By the time I was heading up the hill to Pie in the Sky I found I needed to put my toes on the footpegs to save wear on the outside of my boots  :whistle

From Cowan I went through Berowra and down to Berowra Waters (a great little bimble down the hill that starts getting a little technical with a few 25k hairpins) and waited for a while to cross on the Ferry.

Getting at the front of the Ferry there is always a bonus, it gives you a clear run up the hill towards Galston :grin , Dural and then following the signs to Galston Gorge.  The way down the Gorge is pretty easy and tossing the ST around by this point was just plain exhilarating.  As usual a car coming the other way failed to give way at the one lane bridge at the bottom so I got the opportunity to express my dissatisfaction loudly through his open window and practice my sign language.  The trip up the hill from the bottom of the Gorge is probably the most technical riding for the day.  It's steep and there are a number of 1st gear 5kph very steep, full lock hairpins that require careful lots of attention and clutch manipulation.  If you get up there without being tempted to put your foot down it's been a good day.  The ST just shone, I can't believe how easy it is to manoeuvre.

Coming out of Galston if I hadn't been heading to an appointment I'd usually have turned left at Hornsby and headed back home on the Freeway or using any parts of the ride down in reverse. But a stinking hot 33+ degree day in Sydney traffic it was to be for the next 45 minutes or so. I copped it all, roadworks, delays, trucks, cars dropping in.... horrid. But the bike was easy to ride in traffic, civilised, didn't really care what gear it was in and easy enough to duck around when required. The bike didn't heat up and just kept going as normal (probably not a big deal for you other ST Owners but I sometimes have to think about this when I ride my Harley in similar conditions).  I did notice though that the protection provided by the faring and plastics made this part of the ride a little less personally comfortable than my other bikes.

Anyhow, lunch at Sydney Olympic Park, a quick visit to the doc and back into the School Zone Traffic.  By the time I got to Pymble I'd had a gutfull of the three lanes of crawling tin cans so I turned right at Bobbin Head Road and rode to Asquith via the Kuringai National Park.  The ride isn't free but it's fun.  Back through Berowra, the Old Pacific Hwy to the Hawkesbury River and only then did I take her out onto the freeway for the last leg home.  There was lots of traffic on the freeway but somehow the ST just seemed to be able to weave it's way though it like it was (mostly) all just standing still, within reason of course and in full deference to the enforcement that's always along there.

Again I say, I'm really, really glad I bought this ST. What a great bike!  Can't wait to test it's mettle on an IBA run.

Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Surveyors are on the level
Re: Getting to know the ST
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »
Great report and photos.  :thumb A few FarRides will sort it all out. 38 degrees over here at the moment so a night cruize may be the go.  :grin
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
Great report thanks Wombattle, and glad to know that you are enjoying your new toy.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
Another convert!
The bike's performance in maneuvering and power are amazing for a fairly heavy bike.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
Thanks for the ride report.....great to hear what rides others are enjoying whilst I'm at work  :nahnah

Cheers

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »
Thanks there Wombattle,

I hope the Doctors report is all good.  :thumb

Next time (if any) your in Sydney let some of us know, we may be able to meet up for lunch.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »
Enjoyed the read and noticed just a bit of excitement there  :grin , keep on enjoying the bike
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Wombattle

• ST Owner
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 07:20:44 AM »
I hope the Doctors report is all good.  :thumb
Next time (if any) your in Sydney let some of us know, we may be able to meet up for lunch.

Thanks Abe (and everyone else).
It's become quickly apparent what a "social" group this is. All good on the doc front, some injections into my ankle to (hopefully) get me through training for the Tokyo Marathon in Feb. Back down there Friday morning for the last one so I'll get to warm the ST up some more on the way home :-).
Craig
Riding around on MYST.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »
Reminds me I have to get back up that way again. Great to see the bike is suiting you  :thumbs
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
Great read thanks Wombattle - a few of us have spoken about what big shoes she will leave to fill, now that production has ceased.

You would seemingly concur with this sentiment.

Thanks for a great insight into your thoughts on the ST.       :thumbs

And PLEASE - put a link to your fantastic Tenere website as many members will enjoy having a gander over there.     :thumb

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline gaz

• The dark knight! The vigilante! The caped-crusader!
  • Then be The Batman
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
Great report and photos.  :hatwave
Taking over one emoticon at a time >:D