Author Topic: brakes with a mind of their own  (Read 1937 times)

Offline troy_s

• ST Legend
brakes with a mind of their own
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
Hi All,
 Just got my 1300 returned from the workshop following a seized rear caliper due (apparently) to corrosion. Some shock regarding the repair cost but I guess thats just the nature of this hobby

The issue is that now I am experiencing what feels like the bike is having a minor epileptic fit. Engine is running smoothly so not an issue with fuel. Its like running over a series of small corrugations at uneven intervals. Is most evident when going at a steady speed.

I have the mechanical aptitude of a wet rat with emphysema but im wondering if it may be related - possibly something that may cause the brakes to pulse on their own at uneven intervals. Showed the repairer who suggested that it may have something to do with the steering bearings although it was not evident prior to the surgery he completed.

repairer has
- replaced front left caliper mount combined brake
-remove rear caliper, supply and fit caliper kit
- blead complete system
- replaced rear pads

thoughts please and appreciation for the same in advance.

Offline troy_s

• ST Legend
Re: brakes with a mind of their own
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »
Hi all,
 still no solution.
 I have never experienced this, so wondering if a failed bearing could/would show similar symptoms.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 05:58:59 PM »
That "corrugations" sensation sounds like an ABS malfunction.  I wonder if the sensor is interfering with the sensor disk at the front or rear wheel, since the calipers were the last thing touched.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
That "corrugations" sensation sounds like an ABS malfunction.  I wonder if the sensor is interfering with the sensor disk at the front or rear wheel, since the calipers were the last thing touched.

I have yet to remove the front wheel on my 1300A so I can't say much about that other than the ABS sensor and ring are on the RH side so if the wheel was removed then maybe there's an issue the front sensor etc..

The 1300 from what I can see on mine is set up the same as the 1100A with the sensor and ring well away from the brake even when removing/refitting the wheel. No need to remove the rear sensor except for maybe a rare maintenance issue.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline troy_s

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Hi Biggles,
 This sounds like a winner.
 How would I check this?

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
Hi Biggles,
 This sounds like a winner.
 How would I check this?

Like Alan says, check the integrity of the sensor disk (secure, no warps), then the mounting of the sensor and finally the gap (approximately 2mm).  Ensure there is no foreign material in the gap- that the face of the sensor is clean (it's magnetic and can collect iron particles). If all those external items are in place it gets technical.  Pages 23-10 to 23-16 in the Manual describe the system but there is no trouble-shooting associated with it there or in the Addendum.  A read there might provide a clue.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927