Author Topic: Pockey's mobile wardrobe (Camper Trailer)  (Read 13464 times)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Re: Pockey's mobile wardrobe (Camper Trailer)
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 07:49:40 AM »
We took our first 2UP ride yesterday with wardrobe in tow  :p knocked out 240k's of various roads and rode into silly places to put us and the setup to the test......driveways, roadside rest areas with heavy gravel, even thick mowed grass.....all this to see if we could cope with a variety of terrain. The thick grass was very uphill in one spot and nearly needed Pockey to get off to put the hubs in  :Stirpot

So we were for the most part happy with handling and re-educating the way I rode, gearing down earlier, braking earlier being more proactive with riding lines and were the trailer wheels are.

But it is rear tyre pressure/temp/wear on the bike that is my greatest concern now.....I'm some what anal about tyre pressures on our vehicles and have had good results with the "4 psi rule" on bikes, cars, 4x4's.

Our normal 2UP touring cold pressure in the rear is 48psi.....yesterday towing the trailer that was 50kg off its touring weight (icebox contents, clothing, food) and bike that was less 20kg of its touring weight (pannier contents) had a hot rear tyre presume of 59psi and a tyre that just felt excessively hot. This was on a 24 degree day.

IMHO this heat and temp rise is from the friction created on a smaller tyre surface patch of the rear tyre pulling the extra weight of the camper (200kg) so while the towball weight of the camper (20-22kg) is crucial to how the trailer tows its virtuality irrelevant adding this little extra down on the bikes rear tyre.

So first plan is to increase rear tyre pressure a little to see if I can combat the dramatic pressure/heat rise to increase tyre life....will go to 50psi cold and don't really want to go any higher  :think1

And now the next step.....something I never thought I would consider  :eek Darkside  :eek

I need to find/borrow/buy a ST1300 rear wheel  :popcorn 205/50R17 passenger car tyres are easily purchased and made by a variety of manufacturers.

There is loads of info out there about the pros and cons of Darkside tyres......but I think I need to try for myself  :think1 most of the time STig will have his bike shoes on but swapping out to a Darkside might be the answer for long distance towing like the trip to Perth in March  :think1

:popcorn
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

The following users thanked this post: Diesel

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 08:00:05 AM »
This is a most interesting thread.   I have nothing to offer, other than my thanks for the comprehensive reporting of your experiences.     :popcorn :popcorn

What's the "4 psi rule" ?
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 08:21:17 AM »
I dont think the temp rise is too bad, it (according to my calculator) is only a 5C increase.

48PSI  at ambient seems a bit high to me but..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 08:39:57 AM »
In essence the 4psi rule:

To find the optimum tyre pressure for your vehicle in regards to longevity, comfort etc

Take a starting cold pressure of (blah) and go for a drive for at least 30 mins of highway driving to heat the tyre up to operating temp then check your pressure while the tyre is hot.......if the pressure measured is greater than 4psi your starting cold pressure was to low, if it didn't reach 4psi it was to high.

Use the same gauge naturally.....and although it is a controversial method with some ppl I have had success with it particular on cars/4x4's. Worked on the ST until the trailer came along on the bikes rear......works on the camper too.

Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

The following users thanked this post: StinkyPete, Shiney

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 05:48:45 AM »
Well Pockey's mobile wardrobe is about to received a major make over  :eek

When we first considered a trailer of any description our primary concern was weight and tow-a-ability.....before we bought the Elite we consulted their website and gained all the info we required......or so we thought  :H

As you can see above we have been out and towed with the ST and we where reasonable happy with the experience.....I have never towed with a bike but have done considerable towing with all manner of trailers behind cars/4x4 etc......but somthing was niggling away about weight even though the gear we added to the trailer was light weight hiking equipment.

So off to the weight bridge to put this concern behind us.....so the camper was weighed loaded, minus esky contents, and a sports bag of cloths.

And the magic number was......330kg's :H and  :cuss

The classic industries tow bar is rated for 230kg  :think1

So we needed to considerable lighten the package and see where our research went wrong......

After some calls to Elite campers all was revealed......in the interim I removed the camper top and weighed all the pieces individually.....

The trailer which is all alloy with a steel chassis reinforcement with spare tyre comes in at 110kg. The gear inside the trailer which includes a 105AH battery (30kg) comes in at 70 kg's......so camper top alone is 150kg.......

Elite was adiment that the camper top was 85 kg's as they had shipped them all over the country.....when I asked about the canvas used they stated that it's 8oz rip stop canvas top and sides......problem solved. I have one of their early campers made prior to this owner of the company, previous manufacturer use 15oz Australian bradmill canvas all over including awnings and awing walls......even thought the rest of the camper top was alloy in the poles and bed base that 15ounce canvas is very heavy duty and the reason the company changed prior to the new owner taking over.

So watch this space to see how our plan evolves.....

Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 09:02:54 AM »
Well done mate.....       :popcorn
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline blackduck

• NR2016 Group
  • WARNBRO - WA
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »
Well Pockey's mobile wardrobe is about to received a major make over  :eek

When we first considered a trailer of any description our primary concern was weight and tow-a-ability.....before we bought the Elite we consulted their website and gained all the info we required......or so we thought  :H

As you can see above we have been out and towed with the ST and we where reasonable happy with the experience.....I have never towed with a bike but have done considerable towing with all manner of trailers behind cars/4x4 etc......but somthing was niggling away about weight even though the gear we added to the trailer was light weight hiking equipment.

So off to the weight bridge to put this concern behind us.....so the camper was weighed loaded, minus esky contents, and a sports bag of cloths.

And the magic number was......330kg's :H and  :cuss

The classic industries tow bar is rated for 230kg  :think1

So we needed to considerable lighten the package and see where our research went wrong......

After some calls to Elite campers all was revealed......in the interim I removed the camper top and weighed all the pieces individually.....

The trailer which is all alloy with a steel chassis reinforcement with spare tyre comes in at 110kg. The gear inside the trailer which includes a 105AH battery (30kg) comes in at 70 kg's......so camper top alone is 150kg.......

Elite was adiment that the camper top was 85 kg's as they had shipped them all over the country.....when I asked about the canvas used they stated that it's 8oz rip stop canvas top and sides......problem solved. I have one of their early campers made prior to this owner of the company, previous manufacturer use 15oz Australian bradmill canvas all over including awnings and awing walls......even thought the rest of the camper top was alloy in the poles and bed base that 15ounce canvas is very heavy duty and the reason the company changed prior to the new owner taking over.

So watch this space to see how our plan evolves.....

what on earth are you planning to run with a 105AH battery - Melbourne ??? :grin
Cheers
 STU

FOUR WHEELS MOVE THE BODY -
TWO WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL

2012 ST1300 (black)
2014 GL1800

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2015, 04:01:38 AM »
 :crackup it was in the camper from the previous owner who ran a Waeco in the front box, the Icey tech box will serve our needs......we only use the battery for lights and charging phones etc......although the battery was heavy it was on enough twin core flex that you could move around in camper for ballast  :thumbsup

Have replaced with a 28AH that I had here  :thumb
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:39:47 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2015, 04:37:06 AM »
great pick up there Chris, not something I would have thought of.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »
......we only use the battery for lights and charging phones etc......although the battery was heavy it was on enough twin core flex that you could move around in camper for ballast  :thumbsup

If you are only using the battery for lights and phone charging, is there any reason why one of this class of device could not be used?   I'm sure it could be charged from the bike when travelling, and if using you're using LED lights, you would have plenty of capacity.  There would be a massive weight saving.
http://www.carbatterychargerscentral.com/car-starter-top-7-compact-battery-jump-starters/

The following users thanked this post: ST2UP

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »
Latest upgrade or downgrade depending on how you look at it to Pockey's mobile wardrobe......

The Canvas camper top is just to heavy.....fortunately for us Steve at Elite campers had a second hand hard lid at the right price that fitted up and will work with the next stage of the transformation......from Camper to Cargo trailer to carry the camping gear. The weight saving now that I have individually weighted all the components on and in the trailer puts us back in the safe zone.

Modified Rhino racks will be the next farkle to be added..... ;-*

Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

The following users thanked this post: gaz

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2015, 10:43:09 PM »
Interesting side effect of ditching that brilliant camper  :'( was the tow ball weight....with the camper top in place I had a ball weight of 20-22kg as per the manufacturers recommendation, however with the camper off the ball weight is now up to 30kg due to axle location and the fact that 70% of the trailer weight is forward of the axle.

Bought back to 20-22kg with weight distribution etc

Cheers

Chris
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 01:01:37 AM by ST2UP »
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
Reduced height, less wind resistance and a slight gain in fuel economy. Lower centre of gravity so trailer should be a little more stable.

I haven't needed to use the rack on the lid of my trailer so I've marked that as a place to mount a solar panel should we need to go down that path.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
I just towed Old Red 2700kms and returned an average figure for fuel consumption of 17.3km/l or 49mpg.

That still gave me a theoretical range from 28 litres (being the usable fuel capacity of a 13) of approaching 500 clicks.

The above average was taken on a run down the Newell Hwy at around 31*C and an indicated speed of 117km/h (110 actual). I pulled in for fuel in Gilgandra with 442 kms on the trip meter. Happy bout that!

You can see that Old Red is quite low and small - weighing in at 100-150kg gross.

You should enjoy a lot better fuel economy now ST2UP and have an all round better towing experience.       :thumb
OzSTOC Life Member

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »
Also it looks awesome :grin

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: gaz

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 08:30:04 AM »
Wind back the clock to May 2013 and see Pockey's comments about a trailer.    http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=4089.0      :grin

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 06:20:53 AM »
Modified a rhino bar I had in the shed to take the OzTent and fitted an awning.

The awning bag I had had made a few years ago for the rear of the 4x4 but never used, we found a 3m Sq fly and had a mate sew into the bag, fly, poles, ropes and pegs are all in the bag for a quick shade or overnight stop etc. The tube behind the awning is our fishing rods.

:beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, gaz

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 07:02:17 AM »

What sort of kg's are you (well not you, the trailer - you know what I mean) at now?

I notice that even on your Elite, a later model than mine, it still has the pretty crappy jockey wheel, arrangement.  Even my now 25 year old Classic trailer had a better arrangement (whilst it was a bit clumsy, it was - probably still is - adjustable for height).
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »
I still need to do a final weight when loaded, but in the mean time I'm keeping a running tally of the individual weight of items added to the 105kg of the trailer dry.

The awning complete comes in at 2.7 kg  :eek

Racks complete at 3kg

The total weight when loaded with everything to be self sufficient will be between 220-230Kg's.......100+Kg lighter than with the camper.

The weight distribution is more difficult though without the camper top in place and not being able to move the axle forward more than the 10mm I already have. Elite have the front pod for the Esky etc, we have moved it to the rear for weight and access reasons.....with the OzTent (21Kg) in place you cannot open the pod, so the pod has all the light weight items (sleeping gear etc)

Yeah the jockey is painful  ++ only saving grace now is we wont need to unhitch from the bike to setup a camper each night, so jockey is mostly redundant when travelling.

:beer
Chris    

st2up@ozstoc.com

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »
It's coming together well mate.
I saw it on the weekend and the fittings are all top notch.     :thumb
OzSTOC Life Member